What was your experience with jocks in high school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2018, 6:53 pm

Think back to when you were in high school. How well or not well did you get along with the members of your school's sports teams? As a fortunate result of the fact that my aide's daughters played sports, their teammates and their male jock friends were, with a handful of exceptions, always nice to me. I also contribute the fact that I got along so well with them to the fact that 3 pro athletes, NHL veteran Lee Stempniak, NFL QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, and former world heavyweight championship boxing contender "Baby" Joe Mesi are friends of my family (plus my cousin was a Division I cheerleader at Syracuse and the University at Buffalo), which, combined with the numerous pro athletes I've met throughout my life, have given me an overwhelmingly positive perception of athletes. So, what say you?

Last edited by SportsGamer35728 on 22 Jun 2018, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 6:55 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
Pain, humiliation, intimidation, ridicule, contempt ... et cetera.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2018, 6:29 am

I had one friend who was a jock. He sat at our table for lunch but the rest of the jocks didn't really associate with me & I didn't with them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 7:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
SportsGamer35728 wrote:
Pain, humiliation, intimidation, ridicule, contempt ... et cetera.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes

ammeavid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2018, 11:19 am

From my experience, about half of them are as*holes but about half of them can be either decent people or downright sweethearts. I've found you can usually base it upon how respectful they are in class and whether they seem to take school seriously or not. Also, there are some rather nerdy jocks out there who are often pretty good people. I think it really just depends on the person you're dealing with.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 7:11 pm

I never knew Jocks because my high school didn't have any sports teams!! ! which is sad... I was a goal keeper and later played basketball in elementary and middle school (I was actually not too shabby without blowing my own horn) but again it was no "team" just a few kids (and later on guys) playing in our schools' field and ofc nothing professional, no coach, no formal practice hours, just random meet ups. And I wouldn't get in any pro sports team even if I wanted to cause I'm a short ass 180...

Ha.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2018, 8:18 pm

I was on decent terms with those jocks that were also intelligent, but none of them were friends, and I didn't dream of sitting at that table (instead I had to find somewhere random to sit every quarter, either the stoners, drama kids, or being the one person sitting at a table alone (that was the saddest time)). I mean, I was on the tennis team the whole time, and I never once hung out/talked with any fellow members outside of practices (don't think tennis players are jocks though).

At the end of the day, I usually based everything on individuals. There isn't really one personality that defines all jocks, so neither can they be all judged at once. Jocks are just one of the arbitrary groups, and in high school, it's all about finding a group to successfully identify with (I never did) or you are an outcast left to fend for themselves and exposed to bullying.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 10:01 pm

I had no experiences because my high school did not had any sports teams.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 11:43 am

I'm still in high school, but I still have something to say about middle school and high school jocks. Most of ones I knew in middle school didn't see anything wrong with me, and some may have even been a bit nice to me. One exception is one I've known the name of since 6th grade.

This jock plays football and one of his positions is wide receiver, which he is extremely good at since he runs very fast. When he is going for a touchdown, he easily outruns the other team. He didn't start bothering me until 7th grade, and he did it more in 8th grade. If I even looked in his direction but not directly at him, he would ask what I'm looking at in a somewhat threatening or foreboding way. It didn't scare me, though, because I knew he wouldn't actually do anything. That foolish jock later called me a fa***t in 8th grade. That word did not offend me as intended because I am not actually the dictionary definition of fa***t. fa***t is a pejorative term for a gay man, and I am bisexual and female. When the jock called me that for the first time while I was passing by the table he was sitting at with his jock buddies, (who didn't seem to care) I stopped walking for a second to process this but didn't look in his direction. After I processed the information and determined that the "insult" wasn't really an insult, I continued walking. However, the jock didn't stop after that. He would call me a fa***t 2-3 times a day, and he would even invade my personal space so he could whisper the word in my ear. Every time, I would just ignore him and keep walking. After that phase was over, he would act all disgusted around me whenever he saw me. The next year, I was expecting the jock to go to my high school, but I discovered that he actually started going to a Lutheran private school! This was a huge victory for me, but his middle school buddies are now at my high school and don't seem to mind my presence.

TL;DR - Most jocks do not seem to mind me, though there are exceptions.

Movapage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2018, 1:53 am

Some of them were okay (using that very loosely), and some of them were downright awful. A couple of them in particular picked on me the night of our high school graduation. Unfortunately that memory won't leave me. :oops:

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 5:12 am

Popular and dangerous people who would seemingly at random show contempt for me and eventually beat me for breaking some vaguely alleged rules I could never quite make out, but which seemed to boil down to a requirement to
be much stronger than I was or could hope to be, before they’d consider respecting you.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 11:27 am

I never really got to know any of the jocks in my high school because I went to a special school for kids with autism through most of my middle school and high school years.

In Pathways I got along great with everybody and had no enemies, but in High School during my senior year (the only year I actually attended High School) all the other kids seem to pretty much ignore me.

Now in Elementary School and Middle School I was bullied by everyone. One kid even assaulted me by stabbing me in the arm with a pencil which was why I got pulled out of the public schools and placed in Pathways.

evilsithwraith666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2018, 6:04 pm

The one “jock” that I really knew was a s.o.b. Who sexually assaulted a girl in front of me twice( basically groping), i them confronted him in front of a bunch of girls( who had the gall to support him :evil: ), and ended up threatening to poison him with a non-existent disease :twisted: and he avoided me ever since. In middle school i was fairly sheltered being the son of a popular teacher, and in high school my size and aggressive nature prevented any form of bullying. High school was not exactly a positive experience for me, i was always angry all the time.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 7:18 am

To prevent kids from bullying me I had them completely convinced that I was into witchcraft and that I would put an evil hex on them for messing with me. :wink:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 8:49 am

I honestly can't remember anything significant about jocks in high school. I don't recall anyone I knew being on any of the teams, unless you count swimming, track, or golf.

There were a few bullies, sure, but none of them were jocks.

LuigiGates
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2018, 11:23 pm

I got along well with the jocks who were mainly interested in sports. The jocks who were more interested in status and cliques, didn't like me so much. I was part of the basketball team, never played, probably could have because I was better than half the guys on the bench, but I wasn't mature enough back then to play team sports. Instead I was the "equipment manager" which meant I cracked jokes all day and didn't really do anything per se. Generally, at lunch I sat with the cool kids, because for some reason they got a kick out of me.
As for bullies, the worst bullies were girls who thought for some reason I liked them. Guys who bullied me would leave me be after a while; the girls kept at it and wouldn't let up.