What most dictates your ability to function well ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 6:29 pm

Performance IQ or verbal IQ? I am tempted to say on a day to day practical level it would be performance IQ.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 7:18 pm

I'm not sure...my verbal IQ is higher by 19 points.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2018, 7:50 pm

Performance IQ is what I'm lacking relative to my verbal IQ. Are there other people with autism that are the opposite?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

Arevelion, yes there is.

Performance seems to test how you might use critical thinking skills, visual-spatial skills and logic to solve problems. This seems to show up when for me when having to adapt to new situations and I'm not sure what to do, as it is beyond what I know or am familiar with.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2018, 9:49 pm

Lumi wrote:
Arevelion, yes there is.

Performance seems to test how you might use critical thinking skills, visual-spatial skills and logic to solve problems. This seems to show up when for me when having to adapt to new situations and I'm not sure what to do, as it is beyond what I know or am familiar with.

Well that all rings a bell, except I thought logic was one of the few things we autistic people have going for us (though logic doesn't help me in new or novel situations ether).

What is an autistic person with high performance IQ relative to their Verbal IQ like?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 9:55 pm

I could always use more performance IQ.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 6:43 am

My performance IQ (above average range) is around 20+ pts higher than my verbal IQ (below average range).

I'm best at work arounds, figuring stuff and skip being stuck.

My physicality (body sense/proprioception) is one of my biggest help -- it is firm enough not to overwhelm me nor it is underwhelmed that I'm losing/forgetting it.
Hence why I didn't had hand flapping as a stim or end up as 'clumsy'. That's also what makes blending in (intention of masking or not) easier, maintaining postures, and more physical stuff. :|

I'm sure there are autistics with higher PIQ, but clumsy or less firm sense of body. I've seen some myself.

But I also notice the gap and what happens to lack of VIQ but high PIQ.
I may explain what gives me a hard time because of it, but it'll be a long post if thats the case.

Long story short; I need more VIQ in business, communication, and some functioning areas of executive functioning than, say, daily living, less social side of environmental adaptation, and other areas of executive functioning overall.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2018, 7:23 am

Edna3362 wrote:

...But I also notice the gap and what happens to lack of VIQ but high PIQ.
I may explain what gives me a hard time because of it, but it'll be a long post if thats the case...

I'll have time

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 6:23 pm

Skills. Focused determination.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 7:00 pm

My verbal IQ is 30 points higher than my performance IQ. I’m just really bad at any type of hands on activity.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:22 am

I've never functioned well, that's why I ended up descending through the rear end of the world, I intend to get to a place where I can begin functioning okay and maybe proceed to 'well' for someone with my issues, I really don't know what it will take, I listen to people who are trying to guide me there and do what they advise, they think I have a chance of getting to a point where I can have a go at a more normal life so I'll keep on trucking :ninja:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 2:25 am

It would be cool to do something I care about, just everyone always told I am too stupid and can't then I got blamed for internalizing those messeges...so I guess it is a hard thing to get past, I mean maybe I am too stupid.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 2:34 am

that is a no-win situation.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2018, 2:43 am

I'm suuuuuper suuuuuper heavily Verbal IQ.

I'm surprised that most people seem to be Verbal IQ also! That's awesome 8)