Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 9:24 pm

I've had my share of friends over the years with those tendencies.

Now that I'm more aware of them, I watch people closely for awhile before pursuing friendships.

A socio/psychopath isn't just what you see in the movies waiting for you in the shower. Much of it is mental. They start with storytelling in that they make up a lot of life details, they don't listen to you, ....they disparage you in subtle ways and as time goes on, more so.

My last supervisor was one of these. Goodbye to him last year. So when I encountered another one of these, I didn't give any identifying information.

These types also openly brag about mean things they do to other people.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 10:08 pm

yes.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2018, 4:52 am

I've had past experiences with sociopaths/psychopaths(high functioning ones very similar on the outside). We may be more vulnerable due to our ways of trying to interact with people, but they are often heavly disatvantaged because many did not really experience how to handle or are not even halfway aware of autism.
For me, i quickly started picking up their manipulative patterns and personality, especially since learning more about social behaviour, it got pretty easy. Autism plays a strong advantage there, as they as me have to learn social stuff much more from a non NT point, and because my focus on details. You should never think you know everything about them and treat them with caution. If you start playing by them help yourself asap. Question any social relations with anybody much more anyway.
If one has malicious intent with you, and you are in a group of neurotypicals in work/school or whatever, well i'm very sorry for you because no matter what they seem to be especially effective at making NTs hate people that aren't perfectly socially fitting in.
Nothing could replace a interaction, but inform yourself about them a lot and start questioning peoples deeper intentions. They have no problem in quietly trying to destroy your life.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 4:56 am

probably. i have a hard time saying no. i used to live with a girl who had a drinking problem/ did cocaine and acted like a sociopath. once i went out with her and she coerced me into buying her drinks. then she would force me to clean the house and i was scared of her. ik she was a sociopath but i had a real hard time getting my s**t together and knowing how to set boundaries and say NO!! ! eventually i moved out.

she was very charming and could convince anyone to do her bidding.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:05 am

I think we are vulnerable to psychopaths because we are socially weak and easy to take advantage of. Psychopaths are definitely able to put on the charm to trick people into liking them. They love to talk about themselves and have no interest in what you have to say. They will get what they want from you and drop you once they no longer have use for you.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:11 am

Predators pick on those they perceive as weak. This is universal whether its a lion taking a gazelle that has a limp, a paedophile targeting a child with neglectful parents or a sociopath targeting a social outcast.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:12 am

In all fairness NT peeps get taken too since they often assume a psychopath has to be physically violent.

Our NT brethren suffer immensely too at the hands of these and in different ways.

Elaine is right. They know to find the socially weak.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:15 am

Honestly I think I am great at spotting sociopaths, I could tell Meryl Streep was one when I saw her speech at the Oscars other people were hoodwinked by it but I could it was false and she was evil.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:27 am

I know the universality of preying on the weak. I just wanted to see other people's experiences.

Okkano

25 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm

Even if neurotypicals are aware of it, as long as they are not cast out everyone i had experienced could still have a big influence on social groups.
A quick search should reveal more subtle signs than above, and the most important thing are their intentions.

Last edited by Okkano on 25 Jun 2018, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 2:05 pm

Well yeah of course they can be subtle. How else can they do what they do?

As for NT victims. Very real. Just find a vulnerable one.

Okkano

25 Jun 2018, 2:29 pm

Imo to a certain degree the majority is vulnerable

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 5:05 pm

Okkano wrote:
I've had past experiences with sociopaths/psychopaths(high functioning ones very similar on the outside). We may be more vulnerable due to our ways of trying to interact with people, but they are often heavly disatvantaged because many did not really experience how to handle or are not even halfway aware of autism.
For me, i quickly started picking up their manipulative patterns and personality, especially since learning more about social behaviour, it got pretty easy. Autism plays a strong advantage there, as they as me have to learn social stuff much more from a non NT point, and because my focus on details. You should never think you know everything about them and treat them with caution. If you start playing by them help yourself asap. Question any social relations with anybody much more anyway.
If one has malicious intent with you, and you are in a group of neurotypicals in work/school or whatever, well i'm very sorry for you because no matter what they seem to be especially effective at making NTs hate people that aren't perfectly socially fitting in.
Nothing could replace a interaction, but inform yourself about them a lot and start questioning peoples deeper intentions. They have no problem in quietly trying to destroy your life.

BLESS YOU!! !! :heart: :)

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 5:07 pm

Yes. I was vulnerable as a youth because I wanted friends so badly. The females would just laugh me off and used me to show how adept they were at relational aggression and control. The females dumped me fast. The men took advantage of me sexually and monetarily and lingered until they got bored or found someone who was willing to spend more money on them.
Both sexes saw me as simply a "sucker".

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:03 am

HistoryGal wrote:
I've had my share of friends over the years with those tendencies.

Now that I'm more aware of them, I watch people closely for awhile before pursuing friendships.

A socio/psychopath isn't just what you see in the movies waiting for you in the shower. Much of it is mental. They start with storytelling in that they make up a lot of life details, they don't listen to you, ....they disparage you in subtle ways and as time goes on, more so.

My last supervisor was one of these. Goodbye to him last year. So when I encountered another one of these, I didn't give any identifying information.

These types also openly brag about mean things they do to other people.

I had recently heard that you have a difference between a sociopath and a psychopath
1. Sociopath is someone who was had suffered abuse and other similar types of trauma when they were very young and eventually develop a mindset and behaviors.
2. Psychopath is a genetic condition

You most likely have dealt with more sociopaths than a psychopath than a sociopath, which are toxic and abusive relationships. Here are some red flags
1. They lie, lie, lie but make their stories believable
2. They will cut corners to get ahead in life rather than going the traditional route
3. They have explosive tempers and you are constantly walking on eggshells around them
4. They are manipulators - They will give you a sob story

Here are some examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkPPAdvpyYQ

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:13 am