You Don't Have to Like Your Colleagues

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

Why is it everyone thinks you have to like the people you work with?

Be congenial and cooperative. Leave your personal crap at home.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:35 am

I think everyone just needs to get along with each other and be professional. Workplace friendships can be problematic when they interfere with productivity in the job. This is especially the case in a school setting. Sometimes people are too busy being buddy buddy with each other to focus on watching the kids and doing what's best for the kids. Boss and employee friendships aren't great either. The boss can't be objective with performance evaluations if they are friends with any of their employees. You have to be careful what you say to co-workers that are friends with the boss. You shouldn't be showing any favoritism towards the boss's kid in front of the other kids. That creates a lot of problems.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 6:35 pm

It helps when you like the people around you. I try to like everybody, and there's got to be a good reason why I don't like somebody.

At my work there are only 3 females, including me. The other two females dislike each other but they both like me. I like them both, and I'm not one to dislike a person just because someone else dislikes them.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2018, 7:55 pm

I think that at the very least, you can at least be able to work with people, as it makes getting through the workday easier if you get along with your coworkers. Sometimes, you can have genuine friendships with coworkers, which does make going to work easier because you know you get to hang out with your friends. Of course, such friendships shouldn't get in the way of productivity at work.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

I don't have to like them. I can separate personal from professional. I'm indifferent. Not there to make friends.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 12:02 pm

I think the other reason why being disliked by others brings me back to my high school (early teen) years, when I was unwanted and excluded from my peers no matter who I hung around with. I used to put up with not being wanted, and it made me feel sad that I didn't have friends to discuss teen problems with, like schoolwork, homework, love, family, puberty, feelings, hobbies, etc etc. So being left out really eats me up inside because I don't want my social life to be the same as what it was at school. As an adult it is easier for me to fit in, because my social skills have obviously gotten better since I was 13. But work is a big part of your life and you have to go to work to be able to survive (unless you have won the lottery or inherited a lot of money), so you want to at least get on with your colleagues.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 3:54 pm

You can get on with someone and not really like them. It's called professional respect and distance. We work well together as I don't get personal with anyone. Friendships are fickle and can go south. Meanwhile you still have to work there and therefore cannot afford to put your job at risk. I interphase with many people and assorted personality types.

My annual eval had me noted as very cooperative with various levels of authority and peers.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 4:01 pm

I had an outstanding eval detailing how well I worked with all layers of the organization. Friendships are fickle and they crash and burn....you still work there. Be congenial and never share strong opinions or personal stuff.

We are all there for the same reason to make a living. It's not like pub nights with our friends whom we chose.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2018, 4:42 am

The most of the colleagues I like socially. I often talk to them during the lunch breaks. I also like my boss.

I dislike my team manager. I don't want to talk to him. If I there is something serious happening to him, I will show some interest by asking a few questions, but not much more than that. I am glad, that after a month I am rid of him. My team manager also has a negative influence of my boss. They both don't want me to progress.

I often only non-verbally show my dislike; never verbally (that could work in my disadvantage). I sometimes told my boss that she don't want me to progress, and that I am not amused by her excuses to do nothing about it (learning disorder and autism). I told to my future team manager that I want a new diagnosis about my intellect (that was questioned by her): there have been many so-called diagnoses varying between intellectual retardation, learning disorder, inability to plan, sudden absence of learning disorder. There is some mist about it, and I want to clear that up.

If you talk about how they do their jobs (where it matters to me), I question some colleagues. Most of the time it does not matter to me, so I have no reason to question or dislike them.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 8:40 am

There is no one there that I actively dislike or especially like. It's neutral. It's realizing that the work world is a jungle and nobody is going to hold your hand. You have to manage yourself. Everyone is there for the same basic reason which is to make a living. Don't take the competitiveness personally. Getting emotionally involved with anyone leaves you open for exploitation. Learned this the hard way at my first couple of jobs years ago. I was betrayed by a friend on the job. I understand now why. Don't want to be in that position again.