Banging head against wall (not hard enogh to hurt)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:08 am

It's something I seem to be doing more lately, presumably because I'm more stressed.

Not hard enough to hurt myself, but if someone caught me doing it they'd probably thing I'm really strange.

Anyone else do that?

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2018, 9:29 am

When I‘m really stressed I make fists with my hands and hit my head or chest with. I don‘t do what you describe. It sounds a little bit harmfull for you imo. Where are you doing this? If you do it in your bedroom for example, you could use your matress for it.

I know that it‘s very hard to stop with harmfull stims, I used to have stims similar to the one you have currently. But you should redirect it if possible, it really doen‘t sound very healthy in the long term.

RAADS-R: 134

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 9:41 am

I do. I have even given myself a concussion before.

Wreck It Ralph

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 10:20 am

Lorrent wrote:
When I‘m really stressed I make fists with my hands and hit my head or chest with. I don‘t do what you describe. It sounds a little bit harmfull for you imo. Where are you doing this? If you do it in your bedroom for example, you could use your matress for it.

I know that it‘s very hard to stop with harmfull stims, I used to have stims similar to the one you have currently. But you should redirect it if possible, it really doen‘t sound very healthy in the long term.

Yes, I do also hit my head with my hand too.

It really is just a light tapping when I hit my head against the wall - I truly don't think it's harmful (as long as I don't start doing it harder). I'm more worried that I've caught myself doing it public a few times and that could be very embarrassing if other people see it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jun 2018, 9:56 am

I never banged my head against anything but I used to head-bang to music a lot when I was stressed or winding down.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 12:15 pm

I've been known to do that moderately hard---but still not enough to hurt.

I have a pretty hard head :wink:

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 8:55 pm

It's a stress response. I've banged my head (just hard enough to hurt), punched, pinched, bitten myself in moments of extreme stress/frustration. Causing localized pain in this way can be a distraction from other pain or unpleasant feelings.

But eventually comes the realization that you've inflicted other harm. :oops:
Hopefully you have a better stress management system.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2018, 12:12 am

I do this in bad meltdowns sometimes. I consider it one of my Self-Injurious Behaviors/harmful stims. I want to stop though.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 12:41 am

:oops: >cough<

I normally have a very mild stim, I'm a hair twirler. When I get really wound up, so does my hair.

But a few years back I was going through hell, and I was trying to take Churchill's advice and keep going, and I found myself drumming tattoos on my noggin (with my fingers) at odd times, because apparently I needed the soft impacts and sound. Who knows why.

Anyway, you have loads of company, Snail. I never reached virtuoso quality but I was pretty good there for awhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcHZz5XGE4I

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2018, 1:38 am

I didn't, but even hits that do not hurt can still cause micro brain injuries that could build up to a problem over time.