HELP! I think my office is being remodeled into Hell!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Needs_Anonymity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

I posted a while back concerning some alarming stuff at my workplace. Well, last week, I heard stuff that makes me really scared it's going to get way worse.

They announced a $2 million remodel. And this has me panicking for two reasons:

1) They're not renting temporary space. We have to stay here. While they do $2 million of ripping up a fairly old building. I have sensory issues and ADHD. I'm also a migraineur who is triggered by dust and VOCs. There's some gross stuff in these old walls. I got sick when they just replaced a window two weeks ago, so that tells me that there's stuff in the structure that I do NOT want to breathe if it's stirred up. Plus the noise issue.

2) While no one will confirm that the redesign is to take away our cubes and go to open office, all the code words are there. I know the CEO has openly talked about taking away cubes before. And if you didn't read my previous post, this is the place that took away my cubicle screen with a vague citation of the handbook even though it was office-issued, and IT still uses them without penalty.

What can I do???? I finally find a job that's at least stable and well-paying, and now management wants me to work in Hell? Has anyone here survived a remodel and/or an open office? How?

Don't say telecommute. Job has a no telecommute policy so ironclad that they made me Uber 50 miles each way to work when I was injured and Dr note forbade driving.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 10:51 am

Get a doctor's statement that says declares the issues you mentioned are medically related, and that you will need special dispensation for the duration of the remodel. Make sure that you, your doctor, and your lawyer each have a copy. Distribute copies to your supervisor, to Human Resources, and to the legal counsel of your company.

That way, when it does make you sick, you can declare a work-related disability, and fight their attempts to dismiss you as a 'nuisance'.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Needs_Anonymity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2018, 12:25 pm

That is probably where this will go. They've already done enough documented things that my personal injury lawyer referred me to a top employment lawyer, and I have solid documentation from a PhD neuropsychologist. But I have to survive the remodel, pragmatically, because my LTD insurance will only pay out if I've worked for a year and a day (preexisting condition clause), and I can't leave this job without LTD because I'd be uninsured while needing knee and spine surgeries. Took a picture of a cockroach today to document what is plausibly in those walls. I'm sure there's mold too, but hiring a mycologist would tip them off!

But...I just don't know if I'm ready to go on disability and quit my career. I'm in pain, but with heavy accommodations such that they'd only be ruled "reasonable" for a giant corporation I could work, I think. A headhunter for such a corporation approached me today. But it's contract. Do I stick it out where I am and plan to go on disability/sue when they make me sick and unproductive, or try to jump ship even though I'd be downgrading from permanent to contract? SO maddening. I'd finally broken into a permanent job in a field where most are contract or freelance (aka No Health Insurance), and then they have to do this to the damn building????? While being too cheap to rent a temporary office and pretending it's so they don't have to disrupt commutes? :evil: :heart:

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2018, 12:38 pm

I can't help you, but I understand you because our office will be remodeled too. At the time of the reconstruction they probably move us somewhere to the cellar.

I found plans next to the copier. They will they shrink the non-bearing walls that have remaned. :( I work in openspace, but I have my workplace in the corner. After reconstruction will be there shared workplaces. The organizational structure will change too and I can lose my job.

I don't know too what should I do. I concider if I should tell them about my AS. I don't know if it can help or worse all.

Needs_Anonymity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2018, 1:47 pm

Nira wrote:
I can't help you, but I understand you because our office will be remodeled too. At the time of the reconstruction they probably move us somewhere to the cellar.

I found plans next to the copier. They will they shrink the non-bearing walls that have remaned. :( I work in openspace, but I have my workplace in the corner. After reconstruction will be there shared workplaces. The organizational structure will change too and I can lose my job.

I don't know too what should I do. I concider if I should tell them about my AS. I don't know if it can help or worse all.

I wish I could tell you what to do. (I also wish someone would leave a draft blueprint for my Hell by the copier so I'd know what I was facing...)

I've declared my autism to HR and my immediate supervisor, but have not requested accommodations. When I requested them for my injuries, the C-suite denied them, so I now know that whatever I say is referred to the C-suite. That's my only advice on whether or not to disclose: if at all possible, find out in advance if there is any kind of mandatory report structure for a disclosure or accommodation request, so you know who will find out.