"He's the one who likes all our pretty songs and he likes to

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 7:02 pm

"sing along and he likes to shoot his gun" "but he knows not what it means" or is it "but he don't know what it means"? The written lyrics for the song say "knows not what it means" but to me it clearly sounds like he's singing "don't know what it means".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

"In Bloom" -- Nirvana (1992)
Lyrics by Kurt Cobain

He's the one
Who like all our pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he don't know what it means
Don't know what it means
And I say yeah

Cobain's lyrics address the people outside the underground music scene that began showing up at Nirvana shows after the release of the group's debut album Bleach. Remarkably, the song's lyrics translate even better to the mass popularity the band itself enjoyed. The brilliant irony is that the tune is so catchy that millions of people actually do sing along to it.

In his biography of Cobain, "Heavier Than Heaven", Charles R. Cross asserted that the song was a "thinly disguised portrait" of Cobain's friend Dylan Carlson.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 8:18 am

NewTime wrote:
"sing along and he likes to shoot his gun" "but he knows not what it means" or is it "but he don't know what it means"? The written lyrics for the song say "knows not what it means" but to me it clearly sounds like he's singing "don't know what it means".

It's definitely sung as "don't know". Williams Shakespeare doesn't need to be correcting rock lyrics. :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:03 am

Exuvian wrote:
NewTime wrote:

It's definitely sung as "don't know". Williams Shakespeare doesn't need to be correcting rock lyrics. :wink:

I've gotten my own words wrong too. Meh.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う