Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 10:29 am

This video makes a lot of good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdtA5tG4hU

Seriously. Why are water Pokémon resistant to ice? Aren't water Pokémon overpowered enough as it is?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2018, 3:55 pm

It is because ice is the solid state of water "obviously".

Any ice cubes that are dropped in a cup water will float because ice is less dense than water. Hence the water resistance to ice.

Now water attack to ice defense that does normal damage makes me think that any water that shoots out of a hose or faucet to target the ice cubes makes the ice melt faster because of the friction of water and that water is warmer than ice by temperature. It's my thought process so I could be wrong.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 2:06 pm

^ that's much what I think too. It makes sense that ice melts from warmer water.

But the water move scald has a 30 % chance of burning the hit Pokemon, and it will thaw a frozen Pokemon. How come it's not super effective against Ice type? It shouldn't be too different from Fire which is super effective against ice.

Especially since the move freeze dry is the only ice type move to be super effective against water...

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2018, 2:40 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
^ that's much what I think too. It makes sense that ice melts from warmer water.

But the water move scald has a 30 % chance of burning the hit Pokemon, and it will thaw a frozen Pokemon. How come it's not super effective against Ice type? It shouldn't be too different from Fire which is super effective against ice.

Especially since the move freeze dry is the only ice type move to be super effective against water...

With the move Scald in a real-life scenario, while yes it melts the ice faster but it is only temporary as the water will eventually cool down. Fire is just fire. It doesn't cool down unless there is no fuel to keep it going, or you splash water on it to put it out.

The move freeze dry is basically intense cold. The reason why the only move is super effective against water is that water in an intense cold environment would freeze instantly. Have you ever watched a video where people were tossing boiling water into the air and it freezes instantly when it touches the ground or while in the air it makes snow?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 6:06 pm

Easy.. you put your DS in the fridge.

:::)

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2018, 6:15 am

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
Easy.. you put your DS in the fridge.

ah damnit, you stole my joke xD

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:21 am

jikijiki53 wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

With the move Scald in a real-life scenario, while yes it melts the ice faster but it is only temporary as the water will eventually cool down. Fire is just fire. It doesn't cool down unless there is no fuel to keep it going, or you splash water on it to put it out.

The move freeze dry is basically intense cold. The reason why the only move is super effective against water is that water in an intense cold environment would freeze instantly. Have you ever watched a video where people were tossing boiling water into the air and it freezes instantly when it touches the ground or while in the air it makes snow?

Yeah, that does make sense.

Oh and yeah, I have seen people tossing a cup of steaming water in the air and seen it turn to snow on the weather forecast. It was -50 C or almost -50 C there. That was years ago, but it was amazing to see, and a good image on how freeze dry would work.
There was something similar in the catastrophe movie Arctic Blast.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 1:02 am

Perhaps Ice Pokémon could also resist Fairy attacks.

It makes sense because many Fairy moves are light-based. Ice reflects light like a mirror.

It also makes sense from a balance perspective, as Fairy has rapidly become one of the most powerful types. It should be nerfed.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2018, 9:49 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

It makes sense because many Fairy moves are light-based. Ice reflects light like a mirror.

It also makes sense from a balance perspective, as Fairy has rapidly become one of the most powerful types. It should be nerfed.

While it does make sense in a fiction scenario, in a more scientific scenario, ice reflects only certain lights from the electromagnetic spectrum. Infrared is the light that absorbs into the ice, melting it faster, so I see why they didn't implement Ice as a resistance to Fairy.

While I do agree Fairy needs to be balanced, but I believe the way to do that is to make Dragon moves resistant to Fairies, instead of Fairies being unaffected by Dragons like they did to Darks.
By looking at Bulbapedia, comparing Fairy and Water, they both have the exact same amount of Offensive types and Defensive types. Fairies have an added defense of being unaffected by Dragons while Water doesn't.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 1:42 pm

jikijiki53 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

While it does make sense in a fiction scenario, in a more scientific scenario, ice reflects only certain lights from the electromagnetic spectrum. Infrared is the light that absorbs into the ice, melting it faster, so I see why they didn't implement Ice as a resistance to Fairy.

While I do agree Fairy needs to be balanced, but I believe the way to do that is to make Dragon moves resistant to Fairies, instead of Fairies being unaffected by Dragons like they did to Darks.
By looking at Bulbapedia, comparing Fairy and Water, they both have the exact same amount of Offensive types and Defensive types. Fairies have an added defense of being unaffected by Dragons while Water doesn't.

I think that Fairy should still be immune to Dragon. The Fairy type was introduced because Dragon was overpowered. Nowadays, Dragon is not as overpowered as it used to be, though it is still overpowered.

If they nerf Fairy in a way that benefits Dragon, this will just take us back to where we started.

The most overpowered types right now are Steel, Fairy and Dragon. The weakest types are Ice, Bug and Normal. I just think that the type chart needs to be changed in order to benefit the weakest types at the expense of the strongest types.

For example, why is Ice weak against Steel? I guess it makes sense from a flavor perspective, but it makes no sense from a balance perspective. Why should the most overpowered type be strong against the crappiest type? I guess that it's "realistic" for Ice to be weak against Steel … but Pokémon already threw realism out the window when they made Dark weak against Bug for no apparent reason apart from game balance.

Why is Dark weak to Bug? Well … Bug would be underpowered otherwise. If the creators of Pokémon are willing to throw realism out the window in favor of balance, they should go all the way with that philosophy.

Some people have told me that Ice is bad defensively because it is good offensively … except that Ice isn't even the best offensive typing. The best offensive move type is Rock. There is no good reason for Ice to suck so bad. Ice Pokémon look awesome and yet they are useless in combat. It's bullcrap.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2018, 1:32 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Why is Dark weak to Bug? Well … Bug would be underpowered otherwise. If the creators of Pokémon are willing to throw realism out the window in favor of balance, they should go all the way with that philosophy.

There are a couple reasons:
1. Certain bugs don't sleep the same way. Their form of rest is called torpor, which is different than how we sleep and how other mammals sleep. https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/where-do-bugs-sleep
2. Certain bugs do come out at night to hunt like centipedes, or mosquitoes when they are the most active.
3. Certain bugs like to live in dark places.

I mean if you want to find ways to balance the game out, maybe come up with new types that is realistic enough attack and defense wise to add to the franchise, who knows, maybe Game Freak can use them.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 6:21 pm

jikijiki53 wrote:
I mean if you want to find ways to balance the game out, maybe come up with new types that is realistic enough attack and defense wise to add to the franchise, who knows, maybe Game Freak can use them.

Bad idea. There are enough types already. I just think that the types need to be altered to balance the game out.

Adding the Fairy type was a huge failure. Fairy was added because Dragon was overpowered. Now Dragon is still overpowered and Fairy is also overpowered. Adding new types won't work.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 1:32 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
This video makes a lot of good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdtA5tG4hU

Seriously. Why are water Pokémon resistant to ice? Aren't water Pokémon overpowered enough as it is?

Because ice is water and since ice types are resisent to ice types water would be too. And since water is just another form of ice it only makes sense.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 7:22 pm

I think water as larger body can be resistant to ice, because water as an element is pretty resistant to being frozen, in ways in which earth with bits of water in it can be damaged by the bits of water expanding. But water has its H2O molecules go to the edges and expand as kind of a shell if you will, compared to some animal, it can resist freezing well. More resistant in cases of impurity, such as salt, which is what makes water more conductive to electricity.

I do personally think fairy should be weak to ice, for some reason I actually had it my mind and have to keep reminding myself it is not the case. Fairy is nature, which is why it is weak to steel, poison, so I think nature is just as weak to freezing, like the grass type is.

As for bug beating dark, I think it is important to also recognize that in Japanese the type is called "evil". For some reason, the thing that has come to mind is something called a Kodoku, it is a type of spell in Japanese myth where a sorcerer places several bugs into a jar, and supposedly one will kill the others and the remaining one will take place as a useful charm for wealth. But it has the other side that if the remaining bug is not sustained, as I guess an evil or dark person might, the charm turns back onto the caster with pretty frightening results. I don't know if that is it, there might also be some sort of folklore idea of bugs purifying dark miasma or something.