Just because you're single doesn't mean you're loveless.

Page 1 of 13 [ 200 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 3:08 pm

I may be wrong (I often am) but it seems that so many who post their relationship (or lack thereof) grievances here also firmly believe that just because they're single that they do not, and cannot, have any love in their life.

I've been single forever & in all probability always will be, BUT, I have plenty of love in my life, and always will. IMO, too many people here think that the only type of fulfilling love is that which is reciprocated between romantic life partners.. and that simply isn't so.

I have friends, family, God kids (especially!), nephews & nieces to love, and so many of them express theirs right back to me. It makes me wonder if some of you aren't just simply overlooking people in your lives that you love & love you in return, how much of that magic you're missing out on because you're hyper-focused on the fact that you're single. Hopefully this thread can be a reminder to you that there's plenty more love in the world than that between life partners, and you can freely give your love to those you love, as well as receive it from those who love you, too.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 3:13 pm

OMG, yes.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2018, 3:20 pm

Well I don't know about others, but for me, there is the concern that due to my ASD and having a severe lack of emotions, that I am just biologically unable to process love like others. For example, my family has always been nothing but super loving towards me, yet my feelings to them are questionable; they definitely aren't the same "love" feeling that is described as what normal people feel. I find it hard to answer if I actually love them or not and if I ever can love anyone for that matter. I feel like if I could love anyone, then I would obviously love my family. I suppose you never know and things can change dramatically in the future. I might also be wrong in overestimating what love is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 3:25 pm

Actually, the complaints on this website seem more to equate celibacy with worthlessness, and not just singlehood with lack of love. It's as if "You're not a real man unless you've lost your virginity to a woman" was written in the Cosmic Bro Code or something. :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 3:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Actually, the complaints on this website seem more to equate celibacy with worthlessness, and not just singlehood with lack of love. It's as if "You're not a real man unless you've lost your virginity to a woman" was written in the Cosmic Bro Code or something. :roll:

It's more likely that it was encoded into our DNA and that's why teenage boys feel this so intensely.. all a part of our evolutionary biology designed to make us procreate & perpetuate the human species.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Jun 2018, 9:06 pm

That wasn't the case for me when I was single. I'm an only child who's parents were very critical of so I never managed to have a close realtionship with them. I also didn't have any friends at times & when I did they were people I worked with & we weren't close. My girlfriend & both my exes are/were the only people I could get close to.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 9:29 pm

isloth wrote:
Well I don't know about others, but for me, there is the concern that due to my ASD and having a severe lack of emotions, that I am just biologically unable to process love like others. For example, my family has always been nothing but super loving towards me, yet my feelings to them are questionable; they definitely aren't the same "love" feeling that is described as what normal people feel. I find it hard to answer if I actually love them or not and if I ever can love anyone for that matter. I feel like if I could love anyone, then I would obviously love my family. I suppose you never know and things can change dramatically in the future. I might also be wrong in overestimating what love is.

The way I see it, we can keep BSing ourselves in this manner or just clumsily love others consequences be damned.

Having chosen option B I got a lot of cynicism from most repllies in L&D :(

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 30 Jun 2018, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm

For those of us with friends, family or any possibility of such as we are so socially outcast, romantic is the only love, also romantic love is far different and better then family or friendships love.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 10:13 am

It all begins with self love :heart:

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 10:22 am

Fnord wrote:

Of course, they're stupid for thinking so when there is some guy on the internet who tells them otherwise. Never mind the loads of people outside who will mock them and make them feel worthless. I sincerely don't know if sometimes you really think what you say or just play dumb.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2018, 10:28 am

hobojungle wrote:
It all begins with self love :heart:

No doubt, it just seems a lot of people can't love themselves partially because they are hung up on the idea that not having a relationship makes you feel like you are a failure as Peacesells says (something I feel about myself).

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm

sly279 wrote:
For those of us with friends, family or any possibility of such as we are so socially outcast, romantic is the only love, also romantic love is far different and better then family or friendships love.

I'm surprised you said this. You're 30; you should know better. Your statement is only true up to age 27 at most. After that, benefit-to-cost ratio of relationships plummets! By mid 30's, living with a woman is like living with your parents as a child. Namely, she makes the rules, and you follow them; for your own good, of course. :roll: Almost every relationship I recently witnessed was like this: the man turned into an emotional grandpa the minute he moved with his girlfriend. My long-time friends kicked me to the curb, and stopped having fun altogether,. Today, they only partake in snooty dinner parties with other couples.

Last time I went to such a party as a single man, I chugged vodka straight out the bottle the minute I got home. I was horrified and disgusted by what couples were like, and by the realization that my future girlfriend will demand the same from me. Everything the couples said sounded blatantly overblown and insincere. They kept making gushing statement of love non-stop all evening. It looked like a p*ssing match and an emotional circle jerk rolled into one! :evil: Sly279, this is what you're signing up for with relationships.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 30 Jun 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Jun 2018, 12:14 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I'm surprised you said this. You're 30; you should know better. Your statement is only true up to age 27 at most. After that, benefit-to-cost ratio of relationships plummets! By mid 30's, living with a woman is like living with your parents as a child. Namely, she makes the rules, and you follow them; for your own good, of course :roll:. Almost every relationship I recently witnessed was like this: the man turned into an emotional grandpa the minute he moved with his girlfriend. My long-time friends kicked me to the curb, and stopped having fun altogether,. Today, they only partake in snooty dinner parties with other couples.

Last time I went to such a party as a single man, I chugged vodka straight out the bottle the minute I got home. I was horrified and disgusted by what couples were like, and by the realization that my future girlfriend will demand the same from me. Everything the couples said and did looked blatantly fake, overblown, and insincere. It looked like a p*ssing contest and an emotional circle jerk rolled into one! :evil:
I was an emotional grandpa when I was single. Having fun with other guys was never appealing to me. The married life was & currently is a hell of a lot better than being single for me. Well I'm not technically married but we would be if it wouldn't screw up her benefits.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 1:43 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I'm surprised you said this. You're 30; you should know better. Your statement is only true up to age 27 at most. After that, benefit-to-cost ratio of relationships plummets! By mid 30's, living with a woman is like living with your parents as a child. Namely, she makes the rules, and you follow them; for your own good, of course. :roll: Almost every relationship I recently witnessed was like this: the man turned into an emotional grandpa the minute he moved with his girlfriend. My long-time friends kicked me to the curb, and stopped having fun altogether,. Today, they only partake in snooty dinner parties with other couples.

Last time I went to such a party as a single man, I chugged vodka straight out the bottle the minute I got home. I was horrified and disgusted by what couples were like, and by the realization that my future girlfriend will demand the same from me. Everything the couples said sounded blatantly overblown and insincere. They kept making gushing statement of love non-stop all evening. It looked like a p*ssing match and an emotional circle jerk rolled into one! :evil: Sly279, this is what you're signing up for with relationships.

Wow. Bitter much?

Not all women are like that. I certainly wouldn’t want to make rules and expect a man to follow them. Any relationship I’d want to be a part of would be based on mutual respect, love, and a willingness to compromise.

It’s never a good idea to make sweeping generalizations.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 1:47 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
... By mid 30's, living with a woman is like living with your parents as a child. Namely, she makes the rules, and you follow them; for your own good, of course. Almost every relationship I recently witnessed was like this: the man turned into an emotional grandpa the minute he moved with his girlfriend. My long-time friends kicked me to the curb, and stopped having fun altogether. Today, they only partake in snooty dinner parties with other couples. Last time I went to such a party as a single man, I chugged vodka straight out the bottle the minute I got home. I was horrified and disgusted by what couples were like, and by the realization that my future girlfriend will demand the same from me. Everything the couples said sounded blatantly overblown and insincere. They kept making gushing statement of love non-stop all evening. It looked like a p*ssing match and an emotional circle jerk rolled into one! Sly279, this is what you're signing up for with relationships.
Have you considered a career as a cloistered monk? I hear they have great benefits. In some cases, vows of silence are taken by all members, so you wouldn't have to listen to anyone! Of course, you wouldn;t be able to talk to anyone else, but that's the price the entire world would be willing to pay for your peace of mind.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 1:55 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Wow. Bitter much?

Not all women are like that. I certainly wouldn’t want to make rules and expect a man to follow them. Any relationship I’d want to be a part of would be based on mutual respect, love, and a willingness to compromise.

It’s never a good idea to make sweeping generalizations.

Thing is, his friends are also guilty because they act like blue pill simps who put up with any kind of BS their girlfriends give them instead of putting them to their place.