Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 12:36 pm

I have recently learned that research shows that CRISPR, a gene editing tool, reduces autistic behaviors in mice. However, it has not been tested in humans, and if/when it is, it will not come without controversy.

Most people who believe in neurodiversity think that autism, ADHD, and other neurological conditions should not be cured. I think that a cure for autism should be optional and not forced upon people. If CRISPR can cure some forms of autism, it can only cure some forms of autism. There are probably thousands, if not more, autism genes out there. My neurologist wanted to identify the genetic cause of my autism when I was young, so he sent me somewhere to get exactly 8 vials of blood drawn out of me. I have absolutely no idea which gene caused my autism, and it doesn't matter to me.

In short, I see no problem with the development of a cure for autism unless it will be forced upon people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 12:51 pm

CRISPR-Cas9 is a tool used for genome editing -- by itself, it is not a "cure" for anything. At best, it can be used to "snip out" bits of DNA from a person's genome; and, assuming that Autism is a strictly genetic disorder, it could be used to alleviate the symptoms of autism. However, if this treatment is performed in an autistic adult, then the learned behaviors of autism would have to be unlearned, entailing years of therapy and re-training.

Link: New England BioLabs, Inc.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 5:28 pm

It will be forced upon people. Just look at history. No one should have to power to change the basic thinking and way of seeing the world of someone- it is easily abused and it's very existence to be argued an abuse.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 6:56 pm

Arganger wrote:
It will be forced upon people.
Evidence, please?
Arganger wrote:
Just look at history.
Please cite specific historical events.
Arganger wrote:
No one should have to power to change the basic thinking and way of seeing the world of someone
You mean, like teachers, parents, politicians and the Media?
Arganger wrote:
it is easily abused...
How has it been abused?
Arganger wrote:
... it's very existence to be argued an abuse.
As stated, CRISPR-Cas9 is a tool used for genome editing -- only this, and nothing more. You may as well argue that the surgeon's blade, by it's very existence, is also an instrument of abuse because it is used to alter a patient's physiology or appearance -- potentially against their will.

A tool cannot be condemned merely because some people might abuse it for nefarious purposes, especially when that very same tool has an even greater potential to enhance the quality of life for millions -- if not billions -- of ordinary people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:38 pm

CRISPR can work with multiple genes.

I do not think any hypothetical future cure will be legally mandated. I believe there will be a lot of peer and financial pressure on individuals and parents to take the cure. I can see a scenario whereby insurance companies triple the rates, employers refuse to hire people who refuse to cure or treat their "disease". I can see it becoming conventional wisdom that refusing to cure or your Autism "disease" will be seen as an indication of mental illness.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm

Keep in mind that genetics may play only a part in developing autism -- while it may predispose someone to autism, there may also be environmental factors that activate the alleged gene.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 8:32 pm

All of this talk reminds me of a novel I once read entitled Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. In that novel, the protagonist, Lou Arrendale, is pressured to take an experimental cure for his autism along with his autistic coworkers. The manager of the company they work for for threatens to take away their accomodations and possibly fire them if they do not receive the treatment. I think something like this could possibly happen in the future since this novel takes place in the near future. I recommend this book to people who are autistic or interested in autism.

I do think that changes in the epigenome from the environment are just one risk factor for autism. Autism research seems to be focused on all of these possible causes, but l do not believe a cure for all possible causes would be possible in the near future. There is no one cause, after all, so finding a cure would be difficult and arduous.

The thought of an autism cure in the future is one of the things preventing me from coming out as autistic to the majority of people I know. I am still learning things and I ask that you be patient while I figure things out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 8:48 pm

I agree with Fnord about “predisposition.”

There are many causes of autism.

I don’t believe there will be a conclusive, insurable “cure” approved by the FDA any time soon.

There will also not be any elective abortions of fetuses suspected of being autistic any time soon.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 10:44 pm

Now that I think about it, the true "cure" for autism would be abortion. I would really dread the idea of a prenatal test that would allow people to abort autistic or potentially autistic fetuses. Since literally 90% of people think autism is bad thanks to Autism Speaks and other hate groups, abortion would be a good idea. In general, I oppose abortion except for rape.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 11:39 pm

I am now starting to wish there was a "cure" for Aspergers. I won't ever have a happy life unless my brain is redone.

joe_ls622
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2018, 6:50 am

Arganger wrote:
It will be forced upon people. Just look at history. No one should have to power to change the basic thinking and way of seeing the world of someone- it is easily abused and it's very existence to be argued an abuse.

I agree with this 100%