Why do shop assistants give you funny looks when you're...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 3:38 pm

...buying an item that's specifically for kids?

Today I was in a DVD store and I was looking for a DVD for my boyfriend's friend's son for his 4th birthday (it's a preschool film). But when I paid for it, the girl behind the till gave me strange looks as she scanned it and put it into a bag. I gave her the money and she stared at me as she took it, hiding a tempting smirk.

Is the rule something like you have to have a baby or a child with you if you are buying a child's item? Why don't people just use their brains and think "just because a customer is buying something doesn't mean the item is for that person." And so what if I WAS buying it for myself? The shop assistant's job is to take money, not judge their customers. So unprofessional.

GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2018, 4:20 pm

You could just say it's not meant for you but meant for a child you're buying it for, etc. I don't think that is a big deal to tell that to the shop owner, or the employees.
They can find it funny, or weird, if you don't tell them, because they'd assume its for yourself.
Also, this isn't judgement but is a matter of the impression they're getting from you. If you aren't clear about your intentions, you can't have high expectations towards how others will treat you or look at you.
So, work on your communication with others, including strangers and people you don't know. That's important.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jul 2018, 4:49 pm

Us Aspies tend to mature mentally at a lower rate than NTs so maybe she picked up on you being mentally younger or got the vibe & factored that in.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm

She didn't seem that friendly, and it felt awkward for me to just suddenly utter "oh it's not for me it's for a child." Most people don't tell the shop assistant who they're buying for every time they buy something. Surely they get many customers every day who are buying something that is not "age appropriate".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 8:08 am

Most people aren't that dense to need an explanation of something that obvious.

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2018, 8:19 am

Joe90 wrote:
...buying an item that's specifically for kids?

Today I was in a DVD store and I was looking for a DVD for my boyfriend's friend's son for his 4th birthday (it's a preschool film). But when I paid for it, the girl behind the till gave me strange looks as she scanned it and put it into a bag. I gave her the money and she stared at me as she took it, hiding a tempting smirk.

Is the rule something like you have to have a baby or a child with you if you are buying a child's item? Why don't people just use their brains and think "just because a customer is buying something doesn't mean the item is for that person." And so what if I WAS buying it for myself? The shop assistant's job is to take money, not judge their customers. So unprofessional.

One person at a grocery store asked me for an ID card when I bought beer, and said I looked younger than the restriction-age, despite being a few years over it
Some of us may look young or kid-like, from personal experience and the experience of others
Personally, I don't give a f*** about the subtle signs of grocery workers and what they're thinking. I mean even if I see it, I do not care, as long as I get my full deserved service

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2018, 8:25 am

Joe90 wrote:
She didn't seem that friendly, and it felt awkward for me to just suddenly utter "oh it's not for me it's for a child." Most people don't tell the shop assistant who they're buying for every time they buy something. Surely they get many customers every day who are buying something that is not "age appropriate".

I agree with this. I do not see what's to mind so much about whatever floats the serviceman's mind about you, as long as they properly serve you

Funny story I want to share - I went to a grocery store on my way home to buy some snacks. I was in a hurry and the man on the register was distracted with another person watching a sports game, so I'd snap my fingers near their face so they help me out. I had to do this a second time to get their service
Some of you may think it's unfriendly, but no service is good when they're not paying attention to the customer. I'm not here for the person - I am here for the service

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 12:34 pm

That's happened to me over the past 9 years when I was buying Christmas and birthday gifts for my niece. I also had to explain to the staff at various toy stores.