Improvement of autism or asperger's by age?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2018, 4:11 pm

Hello everyone,
I was, if I'm not mistaken by what I've read, diagnosed with some kind of autism spectrum during my childhood, not sure what age.
But, in later years, I started to feel slowly more easily with the symptoms, especially the social symptoms of poor communication, poor social skills, etc.
I really feel a good improvement in these things, and I was curious to know, if this is because of the age?
Like, the older you grow, the better things improve for people with aspergers, autism spectrum, etc.?
I haven't made any research on this matter, hence I don't really know myself, and would like to find out.
Thanks

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 5:14 pm

Experience is the better term. Not age. The more you are exposed to stuff you aren't good at, the better you will get at it. I don't believe it's that any symptoms get better, just that you get better at dealing with them and overcoming them.

On the other hand, something else can happen as you get older. Overcoming and adapting can get so exhausting because it takes so much effort for us to "act normal" that you may, as I have, throw in the towel and say "Ah the heck with it all! I'm sick of pretending so I'm not going to anymore."

That, in the psychiatric world, is otherwise known as "regression."

Truth is some of us just get sick and tired and don't care anymore so we become surly old farts.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...