Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2018, 8:47 am

Hey everyone, sorry for the unexpected thread out of nowhere like that. There's just an important question I must ask, and I can't figure it out myself.
Well, I joined this forums community just a day or two ago, and have kinda lurked for a certain amount of time before that, without taking part.
I understand it's aimed for autistic people, but, is everyone who participates here actually autistic?
Because, I've read around and have seen many intelligent people with strong social skills, making detailed comments on various topics and quality posts, etc. They seriously don't sound like they have autism or anything.
Obviously I can't hear their voices through text, but still, that's the impression I'm getting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

GoodBlade wrote:
... is everyone who participates here actually autistic? ...
We have no way of knowing.

Keep in mind that autism is a spectrum, with people showing varying degrees of competency, depending on which skill, ability or talent is being displayed. Some of us communicate very effectively on-line, but have very poor verbal skills, for example.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:07 am

So you think autistics are cognitively deficient?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:08 am

HistoryGal wrote:
So you think autistics are cognitively deficient?
No, I think someone spiked my coffee.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:15 am

Not you, Fnord...lol the OP

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:16 am

Most people here have some relationship to someone with autism----whether it be themselves, friends, relatives.

Most of the remainder have an interest in autism because---it's so interesting at times.

A very few want to denigrate people with autism, and have nothing better to do.

One good thing about WP: you don't have to fax over an official diagnosis to Alex (the Site founder and administratrator) in order to be a "member in good standing."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jul 2018, 9:21 am

While this forum is geared for autism. Not everyone who uses it is autistic based on things they've said in other threads. Some have autistics in their lives like a sibling, romantic partner, child, parent ect. Others have issues similar to autism in some ways & feel like this forum is an ally to them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:23 am

GoodBlade wrote:
Hey everyone, sorry for the unexpected thread out of nowhere like that. There's just an important question I must ask, and I can't figure it out myself.
Well, I joined this forums community just a day or two ago, and have kinda lurked for a certain amount of time before that, without taking part.
I understand it's aimed for autistic people, but, is everyone who participates here actually autistic?
Because, I've read around and have seen many intelligent people with strong social skills, making detailed comments on various topics and quality posts, etc. They seriously don't sound like they have autism or anything.
Obviously I can't hear their voices through text, but still, that's the impression I'm getting.

Out of curiosity, do you have autism? You asked an effective question that received responses.

Many of us have an easier time “socializing” on here than we do in real life. We have time to think up appropriate responses and edit them as needed, don’t have to worry about things like eye contact, and can talk to likeminded people that can relate to what we say.

I have an official autism diagnosis - what was once considered Asperger’s. Most of us tend to be higher functioning.

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2018, 9:29 am

GoodBlade wrote:

some of are so-called NT's that are here learning from some very smart, nice people

Last edited by colton.s on 03 Jul 2018, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:32 am

Not everybody with autism has zero social skills.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:35 am

There is not a LACK of social skills within many people with autism.

There's more an "ODDITY" about how these social skills are manifested.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:46 am

I have an official diagnosis. Many on the spectrum have average or better intelligence, and even level three people can become very good at expressing themselves online.

I mean, we could go through the same thing against you, on your profile in you interests it says "Too many", and that doesn't fit the "Restricted interests" (Focused and better than average passion) part of autism.

The spectrum is wide and diverse, and this forum shows it.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2018, 9:54 am

I think a majority of members do seem to be on the Spectrum, but are the high-functioning which is what might have given you the impression of them not having autism. As previous people have said, there is also a lot of people who are parents/partners of someone on the Spectrum trying to understand them better, which is a great benefit of the site IMO. That is why it's called a spectrum; it encompasses a large amount of different people of all sorts, there isn't any one thing or behavior that proves you have autism or not. Also, yes, I am officially diagnosed :lol: .

SophieTheWeirdo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2018, 10:19 am

I don't know if I have Autism or not, although it's likely. And like I've seen others say, we're all on the spectrum somewhere. The reason I joined Wrong Planet is mainly to learn more about Autism/Asperger's and to make new friends who may also be able to help me. You don't have to have Autism in order to be a part of this community :)

"Seek first to understand before being understood." ~RossCreations

Can't think of anymore deep quotes but feel free to message me! I'm a very friendly person, but slightly awkward haha.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 11:18 am

GoodBlade wrote:

This video is a good example of how someone with severe autism can be so different on the inside vs the outside. It shows how very intelligent Carly is and that she can make clever remarks and even socialize in a way. Yet without her ability to communicate through technology she would not be able to express herself in those ways whatsoever.

My autism is not quite as severe as Carly's, yet I am still fairly close to it in how I behave around others when they are talking to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a34qMg0aF6w

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 11:57 am

I remember when I first came on this forum I didn't understand that much about those with more severe cases of autism, even though I was diagnosed with Asperger's at a young age. So I assumed that everybody on WP were as high-functioning as me just because they can type posts rather well on an internet forum. I learnt the hard way that I was wrong, and I'm glad I did. Now I know that any member on this forum could be anywhere on the autism spectrum, or even not at all.

I was once told here by a member (who I don't think is around any more) that all autistics have a social mind of a newborn baby. That is not true at all, maybe for some (doesn't mean ret*d though), but not for all. When I was 2 I had the social mind of a typically developing 2-year-old. My social development slowed down a bit at the age of 4, but I was only about 2-3 years behind my peers socially growing up, but even then not in every way. It was more behaviour-wise I was socially behind, not so much social instincts.