Can ASD’s effect ones ability to take in written visual

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2018, 12:11 pm

Can ASD’s effect ones ability to take in written or numerical information? I’ve noticed I struggle taking in written and numerical information, not just taking it in but understanding it, also being overwhelmed by what I’m seeing. I find it confusing, Also taking in written instructions difficult. I had a test recently and it was too much, it should’ve took 2 hours but took 6. It’s like I’m being overwhelmed by lots of visual information, aswell as not taking it in but then not understanding it..

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 12:15 pm

That's a thing in and of itself separate from autism spectrum disorders. Might be comorbid with autism, but NTs can have it.

Don't know what its called, but a friend (not on the autism spectrum),had that kinda problem taking in written text. Not dyslexia, but like that.

purpleclad
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2018, 12:27 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
Can ASD’s effect ones ability to take in written or numerical information? I’ve noticed I struggle taking in written and numerical information, not just taking it in but understanding it, also being overwhelmed by what I’m seeing. I find it confusing, Also taking in written instructions difficult. I had a test recently and it was too much, it should’ve took 2 hours but took 6. It’s like I’m being overwhelmed by lots of visual information, aswell as not taking it in but then not understanding it..

Many that are on the spectrum experience this, but this is due to a learning disability. NTs also have these of course, but like I said there are many on the spectrum that have this. What you are describing sounds like dyslexia and dyscalculia. I myself have a case of acquired dyslexia after a past head injury, but it can very well be hand in hand with autism.