Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 4:23 am

Word for word the same?? What does he mean by that? :scratch: It's not that simple, Romanian has been under a lot of Slavic influence. Not to mention Greek, Turkish, Hungarian etc influence.

In Romanian it would something like this:

Este Susană în casă?

Da!

În bucătărie.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 5:13 pm

Well...

My buddy was a fellow eighth grader. Not a linguistics expert. Lol. Thats why I posted it . To see if folks agreed,or not.

That first sentence does look it would sound virtually the same as the Spanish. But then it gets different after that.

The Spanish word "Ko-SEE-NA" is virtually identical to the Italian "ko-CHEE-na". And both are more like even our word "kitchen" than any of the three is like "bucateria". Go figure.

My buddy might have been speaking in hyperbole. It might be that a Romanian speaker could understand the conversation in the Spanish class's textbook without the help of a teacher even though Romanians might not actually talk that way. Like how modern English speakers can read the King James, or read Shakespeare, even though we don't actually talk in the archaic English of those texts.

Interesting that Romanians say "da" (like Russians)for "yes" instead of "si" (as do both Spaniards and Italians).

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 2:58 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

My buddy was a fellow eighth grader. Not a linguistics expert. Lol. Thats why I posted it . To see if folks agreed,or not.

That first sentence does look it would sound virtually the same as the Spanish. But then it gets different after that.

The Spanish word "Ko-SEE-NA" is virtually identical to the Italian "ko-CHEE-na". And both are more like even our word "kitchen" than any of the three is like "bucateria". Go figure.

My buddy might have been speaking in hyperbole. It might be that a Romanian speaker could understand the conversation in the Spanish class's textbook without the help of a teacher even though Romanians might not actually talk that way. Like how modern English speakers can read the King James, or read Shakespeare, even though we don't actually talk in the archaic English of those texts.

Interesting that Romanians say "da" (like Russians)for "yes" instead of "si" (as do both Spaniards and Italians).

Italians and Spaniards took "si" from Latin "sic"; Romanians took "da" from the neighbouring Slavic countries. In fact, Old Church Slavonic was the official language for centuries and it left a considerable mark on the language. Still, it's one of the most archaic romance languages and profoundly Latin. It basically preserved the state of the late antiquity - so many words preserved from Latin that haven't been kept anywhere else....on the other hand, it has many loan words from the other languages that other Romance languages have from Latin. Also, it has constructions kept from Latin, identical use of accusative, it preserved the neutrum gender and some cases.

It's arguably the most romanic language, since unlike in all the others, there was no official Latin that would keep on "correcting" the way that the populace spoke. So the vocal changes are the result of natural processes.

I think you're right, and they have fewer issues with learning romance languages, but when it comes to learning Latin, I think only Italians have a considerable advantage.

Btw - casa is of vulgar Latin provenance, it basically meant a hut :P but being a bit more affectionate word, it was preserved, while latin "domus" wasn't. you might notice there is that semi-vocal in the end, which makes it a tiny bit different than in Spanish. But yes, other than that, it sounds similar.

Cosina/cocina comes from coquina - from coquus, that is a cook/a chef.

Bucătărie comes from Latin "bucca", that is the vulgar Latin word for mouth, (originally it meant cheek) ultimately of Celtic origin.