Trigger warning"trigger Warning".Is anybody else tired of it

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:35 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
It's misapplied terminology from PTSD treatment. For instance if a war veteran or a fire fighter smells a barbecue and it reminds them of the smell of burning flesh and it sets of a panic attack, that's a trigger.

Ah, that's what I thought. I guess it's just like every other Internet trend that people use without understanding what it actually means.

"When in Rome," TBH.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:37 pm

Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Quote:
I feel like you are making an issue out of a nonissue. If someone uses “trigger warning” to add drama or whatever you say people do, you can just not respond or ignore them.

If a person needs to talk about something in a way that would be triggering for someone, I think the reader should be warned. Then the reader can choose to read or not read at their discretion.

An accurate title could be super long and not get to the heart of the matter.

Some people won't think this is a problem that needs a solution..... many of those are ones who don't want for there to be one. People who didn't get the attention m the deserved, needed (or CRAVE) need help, but they aren't going to get it through false attention because the hunger is bottomless. They need another sort of therapy and taking the attention away from people who genuinely DO need it...is not productive and it;a a long way from being a non issue. But as i have said...fairly easy to spot it...just bring up the issue see who doesn't think it needs solving..that's pretty interesting. At this point even the movements where "trigger warnings" began are openly admitting it has gone too far, so you really have to wonder what kind of agenda would be pushing for more when even the people who started it think it's gone too far.

Run a google search. :\

It doesn’t really matter if the people who started it think it’s gone too far. That really doesn’t prove anything. I suppose a large research study could be done to measure the efficacy of “trigger warnings,” but that sounds pretty silly to me.

I find them beneficial regardless of someone else’s views.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2018, 3:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Quote:
I feel like you are making an issue out of a nonissue. If someone uses “trigger warning” to add drama or whatever you say people do, you can just not respond or ignore them.

If a person needs to talk about something in a way that would be triggering for someone, I think the reader should be warned. Then the reader can choose to read or not read at their discretion.

Some people won't think this is a problem that needs a solution..... many of those are ones who don't want for there to be one. People who didn't get the attention m the deserved, needed (or CRAVE) need help, but they aren't going to get it through false attention because the hunger is bottomless. They need another sort of therapy and taking the attention away from people who genuinely DO need it...is not productive and it;a a long way from being a non issue. But as i have said...fairly easy to spot it...just bring up the issue see who doesn't think it needs solving..that's pretty interesting. At this point even the movements where "trigger warnings" began are openly admitting it has gone too far, so you really have to wonder what kind of agenda would be pushing for more when even the people who started it think it's gone too far.

It doesn’t really matter if the people who started it think it’s gone too far. That really doesn’t prove anything. I suppose a large research study could be done to measure the efficacy of “trigger warnings,” but that sounds pretty silly to me.

Or maybe you just don't want it to prove anything. really I don't know but i do know that having PTSD and swimming in an ocean of "maybe real trigger warnings" doesn't make me feel less nervous. it just kinda puts me on edge.
I also know airing my trauma everywhere with random untrained people isn't actually safe or productive and therapy is.

Go ask a professional which is better. :\

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:50 pm

Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Quote:

Or maybe you just don't want it to prove anything. really I don't know but i do know that having PTSD and swimming in an ocean of "maybe real trigger warnings" doesn't make me feel less nervous. it just kinda puts me on edge.
I also know airing my trauma everywhere with random untrained people isn't actually safe or productive and therapy is.

What forums do you frequent?

I’ve never seen an “ocean of trigger warnings.”

My counselor wants me to avoid triggers, so I’m sure she’d approve of “trigger warnings” which help me to do so.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:50 pm

Well if I plan to post something which I think would be particularly disturbing, I might post that so people know it may be upsetting. So not to read it if they aren't prepared at all...Like a dying convulsing cat, that maybe you witnessed and had to call animal control for. If someones pet just died, or their pet is lost and they are searching for it...they probably don't want to read a detailed post about that for instance. Last time I used 'may be graphic' but basically same as a trigger warning.

So yeah it doesn't bother me, even if I end up thinking the trigger warning was not necessary, that's just me I wont fault a person for trying to be respectful and letting people know their post content may be disturbing/graphic. Particularly on what is meant as a support forum.

There are topics related to bad experiences I've had that I don't want to read all the time, its not that it will re-tramatize me for life or anything. But with my PTSD, anxiety, depression I have to keep an eye on my mental health...if I am feeling stressed/symptoms of those are bothering me then I try to focus on more positive things and probably wont look at a lot of trigger warning stuff. However if I am feeling fine I can read those kinds of topics and try to help the person. It is nice to have a choice of if you want to delve into something disturbing or not.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 05 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:53 pm

Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Quote:

I’m sorry, but it doesn’t prove anything. Real proof would involve a large research study which would be impossible to do in an unbiased fashion on such a subject.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well if I plan to post something which I think would be particularly disturbing, I might post that so people know it may be upsetting. So not to read it if they aren't prepared at all...Like a dying convulsing cat, that maybe you witnessed and had to call animal control for. If someones pet just died, or their pet is lost and they are searching for it...they probably don't want to read a detailed post about that for instance. Last time I used 'may be graphic' but basically same as a trigger warning.

So yeah it doesn't bother me, even if I end up thinking the trigger warning was not necessary, that's just me I wont fault a person for trying to be respectful and letting people know their post content may be disturbing/graphic. Particularly on what is meant as a support forum.

There are topics related to bad experiences I've had that I don't want to read all the time, its not that it will re-tramatize me for life or anything. But with my PTSD, anxiety, depression I have to keep an eye on my mental health...if I am feeling stressed/symptoms of those are bothering me then I try to focus on more positive things and probably wont look at a lot of trigger warning stuff. However if I am feeling fine I can read those kinds of topics and try to help the person. It is nice to have a choice of if you want to delve into something disturbing or not.

I appreciate that consideration. When my cat was lost, I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to read such a post.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2018, 4:06 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Why not talk to moderation and request a subforum if it's genuinely important to do it and it isn't just sensationalism (which is what it straight up looks like). I mean, if somehow it is therapeutic to share stuff you think might be traumatic and while traumatized yourself to peruse traumatizing content (which is very hard for me to imagine), why not have a subforum? why make potential upsetting content it's own special thing?

It just looks like amateur R-rating to me.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a place anywhere...let me make that clear. I am saying it's place isn't all over or anywhere near all the places it appears. Nothing but math has universal application...this isn't math.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 4:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
How about this? I'll start caring about other people's PTSD when the world starts caring about MY limitations.

We aren’t always shown kindness and consideration, but that doesn’t make it okay to not be kind and considerate to others. Break the cycle.

Break the cycle?

Are you implying that SJWs will be nice to me if I'm nice to them. :roll:

I'm not that naïve.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 4:31 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
How about this? I'll start caring about other people's PTSD when the world starts caring about MY limitations.

We aren’t always shown kindness and consideration, but that doesn’t make it okay to not be kind and considerate to others. Break the cycle.

Break the cycle?

Are you implying that SJWs will be nice to me if I'm nice to them. :roll:

I'm not that naïve.

I’m not suggesting that necessarily. It is nice and decent to be a good person. Do it for you.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 4:35 pm

Another Thing: How come SJWs think that only women can develop PTSD?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 5:43 pm

Spectral Aurtist wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Why not talk to moderation and request a subforum if it's genuinely important to do it and it isn't just sensationalism (which is what it straight up looks like). I mean, if somehow it is therapeutic to share stuff you think might be traumatic and while traumatized yourself to peruse traumatizing content (which is very hard for me to imagine), why not have a subforum? why make potential upsetting content it's own special thing?

It just looks like amateur R-rating to me.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a place anywhere...let me make that clear. I am saying it's place isn't all over or anywhere near all the places it appears. Nothing but math has universal application...this isn't math.

Because that seems like a lot of effort for a single thread, I don't post very many threads with trigger warnings in the first place. I mean I am talking specifically about this forum...maybe it gets over-used on other sites or where you are its over-used IRL but as for this site I've never gotten the feeling I am swimming in an ocean of trigger warnings.

Seems most people here are pretty good about just doing it if the content is truly disturbing/upsetting not just to sensationalize/dramatize anything sad or bothersome.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 5:48 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Well anyone who believes that is ignorant. But I haven't seen/heard anyone say this, so my question is where did you hear that. Facebook or youtube comment since those can be filled with ignorance or somewhere else?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 6:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Well anyone who believes that is ignorant. But I haven't seen/heard anyone say this, so my question is where did you hear that. Facebook or youtube comment since those can be filled with ignorance or somewhere else?

I’ve never heard this either. In fact, I mostly hear it used in regard to soldiers (usually male) returning from war.

Statistically, women are more likely to develop PTSD. I think this could be due to a combination of factors. Women are more likely to be sexually abused and men are probably less likely to seek help when they experience PTSD symptoms.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:17 am

What if one is triggered by trigger warnings?

;)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:23 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
What if one is triggered by trigger warnings?

;)

Maybe avoid internet forums?