Trigger warning"trigger Warning".Is anybody else tired of it

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Like with anything people have ruined a good thing. As others have said trigger warnings and the safe spaces needed to avoid said triggers have been so overused and inflated to the point that anybody arguing for them is assumed to be a snowflake who deserves to be attacked.

It's about a sense of proportion, a common sense, of proportion.
It's like allergies, labelling peanut allergies and the like make sense, because about 0.6% of the people have them, and some will drop dead if they get exposed to them.

So we could ban peanuts entirely, because they're lethal to a portion of our population.
Or we could say "Well, f**k you, we're not allergic"
But labelling them, so people who aren't allergic can still enjoy them, but people who die if they eat them, can avoiding dying or being made very sick. Is a sensible middle ground.

While their are some allergies that maybe only one person in the whole world has in which case it makes more sense for that person to keep their eyes open and to carry an Epipen and a medic alert bracelet.

And likewise, if you're going to post pictures of a man whose face has been shot off. Yes, putting a little warning on that, good idea, because a large proportion of people lose their lunch if they see intense gore. And even if you want to read it, a heads up, means you don't get slapped in the face by it.

But not writing about, I don't know, Nutella, because their is a crazy person somewhere who hates Nutella.
No, that makes no sense, just like you'll find at least one person in 7 Billion whose allergic to any given thing.
You'll find one person in 7 Billion who is offended by any given thing.

But that sense of "proportion" is one of the things that seems, at least to me, to have gone missing, at least in some parts of the world.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 11:12 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Like with anything people have ruined a good thing. As others have said trigger warnings and the safe spaces needed to avoid said triggers have been so overused and inflated to the point that anybody arguing for them is assumed to be a snowflake who deserves to be attacked.

It's about a sense of proportion, a common sense, of proportion.
It's like allergies, labelling peanut allergies and the like make sense, because about 0.6% of the people have them, and some will drop dead if they get exposed to them.

So we could ban peanuts entirely, because they're lethal to a portion of our population.
Or we could say "Well, f**k you, we're not allergic"
But labelling them, so people who aren't allergic can still enjoy them, but people who die if they eat them, can avoiding dying or being made very sick. Is a sensible middle ground.

While their are some allergies that maybe only one person in the whole world has in which case it makes more sense for that person to keep their eyes open and to carry an Epipen and a medic alert bracelet.

And likewise, if you're going to post pictures of a man whose face has been shot off. Yes, putting a little warning on that, good idea, because a large proportion of people lose their lunch if they see intense gore. And even if you want to read it, a heads up, means you don't get slapped in the face by it.

But not writing about, I don't know, Nutella, because their is a crazy person somewhere who hates Nutella.
No, that makes no sense, just like you'll find at least one person in 7 Billion whose allergic to any given thing.
You'll find one person in 7 Billion who is offended by any given thing.

But that sense of "proportion" is one of the things that seems, at least to me, to have gone missing, at least in some parts of the world.

I don’t think we have too much trouble with that on this forum.

With that being said, certain types of trauma are fairly common, like peanut allergies, so a warning label on such things would make a lot of sense.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2018, 8:45 pm

SpiceWolf wrote:
What if one is triggered by trigger warnings?

;)

Boy I'll tell ya, I'm getting there.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm

Quote:
I don’t think we have too much trouble with that on this forum.

With that being said, certain types of trauma are fairly common, like peanut allergies, so a warning label on such things would make a lot of sense.

A peanut ALLERGY is not a trauma...it's an ALLERGY . Freaking out because you fell down a steep flight of stairs as a small child and you get vertigo if you have to stand at the top of a steep set of stairs Is a trauma. Yes Allergy warnings make sense.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2018, 8:55 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
What if one is triggered by trigger warnings?

;)

Maybe avoid internet forums?

I agree and I will take it a step further and say that specifically one should avoid Trauma THEMED internet forums...oh jee... this isn't one of those is it? hmmm NO IT'S NOT. THIS...

Is a forum for people on the autistic spectrum and those who wish to learn, and also those who consider autism to be a life choice , and also those who believe it is a comfortable fit as an ...identity...BUT! there ARE real autistics here...SOMEPLACE! And they definitely make up more than uh.....maybe 18% of the forum membership!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 2:09 am

Every time I see the word, I just know it's going to be a controversial topic that will cause a lot of butthurt or offense. That is what the word has become now.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.