My life has come to a standstill. Does anyone relate?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BookWormhole
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2018, 4:14 pm

Hi. I’m a 13-year-old girl with Asperger’s. It feel like my life has stopped moving forward since I stopped going to school 8 months ago. I’ve stopped using my social media, refused to interact my anyone outside of my immediate family, my aunt and the doctor/dentist/education officer, and wouldn’t/couldn’t (I don’t even know) bring myself to catch up on my studies. I’ve also come to hate the hobbies I once loved (reading and running), developed a fear(?)/very strong reluctance of going outside a 10-metre-or-so radius of my house, and at one point my mornings started at 10 o’clock in the evening. It feels like I lost control of my life and my world years ago, that all enjoyment, freedom and socialization has been sucked out of my life. I feel like a prisoner in my room, in my house. Of what, I don’t know. Maybe I’ve just lost my ambition. Maybe I’ve just experienced a months-long autistic social relapse, though it’s extremely unlikely. Maybe I’ve just become lazy. I really don’t know. My dad thinks it’s something to do with hormones and my self-confidence. My mum thinks my sleep schedule is just out of sync with the rest of the world, and that I’m experiencing a “temporary” months-long phase that will go away. I’ve been wondering for some time if there was a different root cause, but who knows? Is there anyone who can relate, even a tiny bit?

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2018, 5:14 pm

Yes, that is exactly what happened to me, actually every single detail, and has been happening for a couple years now (difference being I'm older than you obviously). Including deleting the social media, not leaving house/talking to anyone unless appointment, not finding reading enjoyable anymore (used to read literature like crazy), temporarily drop college, crazy sleep schedule etc. What you have sounds to me like very likely depression. When my Asperger's combined with depression and anxiety problems due to college, it made all my Autism and ADHD symptoms much worse, resulting in the problems described. You should definitely seek professional help for it (psychologist, psychiatrist, whatever you need).

Other than that, the baby steps to recovery I have done so far is taking online classes for a while with the intention of going back to traditional classes this Fall (other members have also said homeschooling helped) and signing up on this thread to try to have at least some interaction. You might find those actions helpful as well, and you've already done the latter. Hope it works out well for you! plenty of supporting people on this forum who can relate to you, PM if you have any further questions.

BookWormhole
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2018, 8:50 am

Thank you for replying. Some sort of depression isn’t something I really considered before, but it would explain a lot. Also it’s comforting knowing that I’m not the only one, that there are other people who are going through the reclusion, isolation etc. that I’m going through and that they’re recovering. And I think I might try some sort of temporary homeschooling right now, but hopefully I’ll be able to go back to school soon. Anyway, I’ll definitely do my research on depression and associated conditions, and hopefully find some inner peace, whatever form it comes in.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 9:28 am

BookWormhole wrote:
Is there anyone who can relate, even a tiny bit?

Once I hit puberty, my comorbids (depression, anxiety, & agoraphobia) became more obvious. The combination of hormones + increased social expectations was too much. You seem self-aware & proactive about your situation though & it seems your family is supportive too?