Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

cooksp53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2018, 10:46 pm

I was diagnosed as an adult. After a couple of years of mindfulness exercises I realised I was hiding myself as a dumb bro type alpha male. Has anyone else come to this type of realization? I feel I never had the chance to be the real me until my diagnosis. Just Checking to see if anyone else had a similar experience. Thank you in advance!

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2018, 7:37 am

I'm wondering, how were you able to mask yourself as an alpha male? Unless of course you are already.
Also, what does your masking have to do with being toxic?

RAADS-R: 134

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2018, 8:46 am

I think I get what you mean because I have a very dominant personality yet hardly ever got any respect from others until one day, I shut myself behind my own kind of mask, which is that of an aggressive alpha male type and that's how many people still see me. The mask itself caused a collateral problem, obviously. Whenever I demonstrate wit, culture, sensitivity and sympathy people raise eyebrows because they don't expect me to act like that. The real me exists in a gap taken by two (or more) different personalities.

Maybe not related but ... oftentimes, I'll be executing tasks or talking to others by imitating characters that I have seen in a movie, or someone from real life whose actions were stuck in my mind. The resulting behaviour is someone who acts and sounds like Charles Bronson but when the words come out, they are the words of a completely different person.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 8:57 am

Maybe you are confusing this with an INTJ personality type?

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2018, 9:12 am

jimmy m wrote:
Maybe you are confusing this with an INTJ personality type?

I am confused as to whether you are addressing me or the OP but if that was me, I am INFJ and officially diagnosed as Asperger by a professional. Fwiw.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:14 pm

Quote:
I am confused as to whether you are addressing me or the OP but if that was me, I am INFJ and officially diagnosed as Asperger by a professional. Fwiw.

It was more directed at the Original Poster. No offense, just wondering.