Do you ever plan out your threads?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Which concept do you want to see the most/first?
Poll ended at 05 Aug 2018, 11:56 am
Hogwarts thread 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
My Little Pony stuff 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Best fictional characters 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grow up, Timmy Turner thread 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Best to Worst Cartoon List 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Worst fictional characters 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Depression and comedy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Introverted VS extroverted creativity 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What makes someone creative? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 11:56 am

I sometimes do, since I tend to have a lot of thread ideas that come to me randomly. Not always though, there are times where I make threads in the spur of the moment.

Concepts/ideas I currently have for threads which I might make in the future:

- Which Hogwarts house would you be in and why? (I would talk about which I would be in and why I would choose that in this thread a bit...or possibly a lot).

- A thread on cutiemarks, and would you want to be a Unicorn, Pegasus, or Earth Pony? (For any fellow My Little Pony fans here :wink:).

-Which fictional characters I like the best.

- Personal best to worst cartoon list.

-Least favourite characters.

- One where I would talk about the implications of the "Grow up, Timmy Turner!" spin off movie in the Fairly Odd Parents franchise and my thoughts on the film.

- Exploring the relationship between depression, self-deprecating humour and modern day comedy.

- Introverted VS extroverted creativity and media appropriation.

- Discussion on what makes someone creative, plus what we know based on current studies, and some speculation.

Of course, these could change and are not set in stone so I'm not making any promises. What are you thoughts on these? Are there any on this list that you'd like to see? Do you plan out threads like this? Please don't judge me. :lol:

GoodBlade
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2018, 1:06 pm

The last one you mentioned sounds to me the most interesting, can consider that.
When I create a new thread, I just think about what subject to bring up, and the words come to me automatically after that. Not difficult to me.
I'm quite a literate person, without being arrogant by saying so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 1:29 pm

( ) Hogwarts thread
( ) My Little Pony stuff
( ) Best fictional characters
( ) Grow up, Timmy Turner thread
( ) Best to Worst Cartoon List
( ) Worst fictional characters
( ) Depression and comedy
( ) Introverted VS extroverted creativity
( ) What makes someone creative?
(•) Traveller (SFRPG) thread
( ) All of the above
( ) None of the above

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 3:02 pm

Well, I have some good news for the two people that voted for the "Worst fictional characters" option. That thread exists now: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=366024&p=7950275#p7950275

:)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 10:38 am

"Grow Up, Timmy Turner!" thread can now be found here: viewtopic.php?t=366826

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:50 pm

It's very rare that I actually create a thread here. That said, anytime I come up with something anywhere, I try to plan it as much as I can, but somehow there is a disconnect with the implementation, and I end up with something a bit lackluster. It's not something terrible, but it could be better than what it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

I'm pretty spontaneous when I plan threads (I rarely start thread here), and when I respond to threads.

I'm just not a planning-type person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 6:16 pm

How can you "plan a thread"?

You can carefully craft an original post in the hope that the thread will go the way that you want. And I guess you can visit the thread at intervals and try to guide it. But once you make your original post it is no longer really "your" thread. Folks react in both expected, and in unexpected ways. Its up to the crowd to take the thread wherever it goes. You cant really plan it.

Your topic offerings ...got any other ideas?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 11:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
How can you "plan a thread"?

You can carefully craft an original post in the hope that the thread will go the way that you want. And I guess you can visit the thread at intervals and try to guide it. But once you make your original post it is no longer really "your" thread. Folks react in both expected, and in unexpected ways. Its up to the crowd to take the thread wherever it goes. You cant really plan it.

That is true, I suppose it would be more fitting to ask "Do you ever plan out your original posts when making threads?"

Sometimes I do, but not always.

naturalplastic wrote:
Your topic offerings ...got any other ideas?

The next thread I plan to make is "Separating the artist from their creations" in which I plan to talk about how sometimes good art (or art that people enjoy) is made by terrible people. I'll most likely discuss the current discussion revolving around Butch Hartman, and how people are questioning their enjoyment for certain content because they no longer wish to support the creator...

Other various creators will also be mentioned in this thread. The theoretical concept of "the death of the author" will likely be mentioned and discussed in the original post.

My current order of posting planned:

-Separating the artist from their creations.

- The concept of creativity.

- Hogwarts houses.

- Cutiemarks and the rise and fall of the Brony community.

Other ideas I have:

- A thread on writing advice.

-Discussion on various different teaching techniques used in education.

- Conversation about good short films and animation.

- Forms of discrimination in education settings and how certain laws can trick voters. Also a discussion on how much influence the Parents' committee should have over school decisions.

That's it for now, but I'm open to suggestions. Unfortunately for Fnord, I don't know much about Traveller SFRPG...so I'm highly unlikely to ever do a thread on it.

Postings are likely to slow down in September, due to the start of term and moving into student accommodation. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 1:58 pm

"Seperating the art from the artist" is good. In fact (to be frank) its the only one of your topics that interests me so far.

Michael Jackson either was a pederast, or was so weird that he set himself up to look like one. The science and sci fi author Arthur C. Clark also may have been a pederast. The great Renaissance Italian painter Caravaggio had a couple or three folks murdered. And lately...it sometimes seems like half of the male actors you and I grew up idolizing were all monstrous sexual predators. So that topic is pretty timely.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 7:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Seperating the art from the artist" is good. In fact (to be frank) its the only one of your topics that interests me so far.

Michael Jackson either was a pederast, or was so weird that he set himself up to look like one. The science and sci fi author Arthur C. Clark also may have been a pederast. The great Renaissance Italian painter Caravaggio had a couple or three folks murdered. And lately...it sometimes seems like half of the male actors you and I grew up idolizing were all monstrous sexual predators. So that topic is pretty timely.

This thread now exists: viewtopic.php?t=366972

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 8:41 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

This thread now exists: viewtopic.php?t=366972

It also now has a TL;DR version, for those of you who don't want to wade through all that text. :oops: May have gotten carried away at first.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 4:47 pm

I think I might just scrap the threads I had planned. At the time I felt like doing them, but that mood has gone. That's the problem with planning sometimes, you put so much time and effort into it that by the time you're ready to do it you don't feel like it. :x :lol: