Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:04 pm

Certain people at WP, and I specifically refuse to name them, are persistently and constantly negative in their beliefs and expectations. I do try to advise, help, and show sympathy for them. But I have to turn away at some point or it will poison my own experience.

This is never more true than in "making friends" or "dating" forums. Do you people (and I assume you know who you are) realize that paradoxically, expressing that much negativity pretty much guarantees you will drive people away from you? Which then validates your pessimism, etc.

I give up. I have un-followed certain threads because I just can't deal with that much negativity. Look, I have depression and problems too, and part of my self-care is "avoiding negative people."

From offering encouragement and compliments to others, to actively looking for things to feel grateful for, I try hard to take the high road, see the glass as half full, and be happy and positive. It's not always easy. But it beats the alternative, you know?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:12 pm

Is it me? I think this is good feedback.

I’m hated by a lot of people here based on how I allow my depression to manifest.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:21 pm

You've just been handed a tough time, and a six week challenge to deal with, Bea, and it makes total sense for you to reserve your strength for dealing with that. Avoiding things that stress you without benefiting you also makes total sense. I wish you healing and strength...

(Something that may help, when folks are cynical and it bugs you something fierce, is yet another thing my Dad taught me when I was young: cynicism is often an indication of disappointed idealism. That perspective has helped me to understand others' cynicism and to rein in my own when it's getting out of control - so I share it FWIW.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 10:29 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

I’m hated by a lot of people here based on how I allow my depression to manifest.

If it's worth anything, I don't hate you.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 6:31 am

hale_bopp wrote:

No, it isn't, but even if I had been thinking of you, I wouldn't hate you for it ... just avoid you. Which might feel like the same thing, to you, but isn't at all the same, to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 7:00 am

I find more realism in you, Hale Bopp, than in many of the other posters in the L & D thread.

At least you don’t come up with these cockamamie theories....

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 7:17 am

I think they’d rather complain, drive people away, and come up with absurd theories than do the alternative - put forth some effort and work on themselves.

Everyone has a bad day or a bad stretch of time, but it really isn’t any fun to be around people who are negative all the time.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 9:47 am

Yes, I have enough negativity of my own. Don’t need others to “help” me in that regard. :D

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:10 am

And starting a thread complaining about negative people does what exactly?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 11:48 am

HistoryGal wrote:
And starting a thread complaining about negative people does what exactly?

Puts them on notice.

And it wasn't so much complaining about them, as declaring my limits. I hope it opened a few people's eyes. More than that I wasn't attempting.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 12:35 pm

Bearthur, I will try and stay more positive and even if I have a situation or a person who I get upset with.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2018, 1:01 pm

Sorry to hear that BeaArthur . Since a lot of people here deal with depression and a lot of other problems, it's to be expected and can't be avoided that some vent negatively. I 100% agree with you though that you shouldn't have to constantly deal with it in addition to any problems you might have yourself. It's great that you are kind enough to help people in general, and I'm sure they appreciate it, but don't push yourself. A lot of the time the people who are venting are only looking for others to reinforce their negative arguments or to be argumentative, I think, and aren't really receptive to positive encouragement (but it's always worth it to try)!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 4:53 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

No, it isn't, but even if I had been thinking of you, I wouldn't hate you for it ... just avoid you. Which might feel like the same thing, to you, but isn't at all the same, to me.

I think you’re great, you’re a breath of fresh air and extremely level headed and sensible.

It would be a loss to the site without you. I hope you feel better soon. :heart:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 6:02 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Bearthur, I will try and stay more positive and even if I have a situation or a person who I get upset with.

That's good, Summer_Twilight, but do it for yourself. It's great medicine!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 6:05 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
I think you’re great, you’re a breath of fresh air and extremely level headed and sensible.

It would be a loss to the site without you. I hope you feel better soon. :heart:

Awwww... that's such a nice compliment! Thank you very much!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:24 pm

I think posts like this are a good wake up call for us to realise that our negativity is upsetting people.

Thanks for posting it, it encourages self reflection of members.