Page 1 of 39 [ 618 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 9:14 am

Lots of small Star Trek threads get started here on WP, and that's fine, but it would be nice to have one general-purpose thread for anyone to post an occasional item or to chat about Star Trek in general. So here it is — Star Trek: The Universal Thread.

Feel free to post news, comments, memes, pictures, anything Star Trek related. All series, films, genres, characters, media, species, and ranks are included (from captain to red-shirt). :D

There Are Four Lights!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 9:18 am

I’ve been in the mood to watch episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation.

I find it comforting.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:17 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

Star Trek cures all ills. :D

There Are Four Lights!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:28 am

I wonder which Star Trek most people prefer. My theory is that most (but not all!) prefer the Star Trek they grew up with. For me, that’s The Next Generation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 12:42 pm

I like Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy, Scotty, Suku, Uhura, etc.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 12:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

Generally I think TNG is the jewel in the ST crown. The best of the series that was everything ST should be and nothing that it shouldn't (DS9 was plenty that it shouldn't--I call it geopolitical Trek).

But it had its turkeys. Eps like the Royale, Skin of Evil, Code of Honor...

One thing that always bothered me was Geordis relationship status. Here you had a guy who was kind, nice, and for 6 seasons chief engineer of the flagship. And Data, the emotionless android; and Worf, the walking frown Klingon, had more luck with women then he did!

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:06 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

Generally I think TNG is the jewel in the ST crown. The best of the series that was everything ST should be and nothing that it shouldn't (DS9 was plenty that it shouldn't--I call it geopolitical Trek).

One thing that always bothered me was Geordis relationship status. Here you had a guy who was kind, nice, and for 6 seasons chief engineer of the flagship. And Data, the emotionless android; and Worf, the walking frown Klingon, had more luck with women then he did!

I know! Geordi would’ve been a great catch!

I actually had a crush on the actor when I was little. I loved TNG and Reading Rainbow.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:17 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

I actually had a crush on the actor when I was little. I loved TNG and Reading Rainbow.

I agree with everything you said, including the crush. To bad Geordi wasn't gay... And don't forget Roots!!

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:25 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

I agree with everything you said, including the crush. To bad Geordi wasn't gay... And don't forget Roots!!

I know he was on Roots, but I think I’m too sensitive to watch it. Should I try anyway?

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:27 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

Another thing that bothers me about TNG: Riker should have been Captain of his own ship by early Season 4, and Data probably by the middle of Season 7 or so. Their talents were WASTED and its absurd that the two of them would receive no promotions in SEVEN YEARS.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

I know he was on Roots, but I think I’m too sensitive to watch it. Should I try anyway?

Absolutely. He isn't just in roots, he plays adolescent Kunta Kinte. Its his greatest roll ever IMO.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:30 pm

Oh, and Picard should have been an Admiral around the time Riker should have been a Captain too.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 1:54 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I find it comforting.

Another thing that bothers me about TNG: Riker should have been Captain of his own ship by early Season 4, and Data probably by the middle of Season 7 or so. Their talents were WASTED and its absurd that the two of them would receive no promotions in SEVEN YEARS.

That’s true.

They were probably worried that fans wouldn’t like things to be switched up. The dynamic between the actors was pretty great.

I was happy when Dr. Crusher came back. I didn’t like Pulaski nearly as much.

I guess I don’t like change.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 4:15 pm

Many years ago (c.1970s), I attended a mini-con at a local university. The only actors from ST:TOS who weren't there were Misters Nimoy, Koenig, and Takei. Ms. Nichols looked awesome in a tailored all-white outfit, even more so up close.

I spoke with Mr. Roddenberry for a few minutes and tried to pitch my idea for a new series, based on a smaller vessel, and with a crew filled with second-choices and slackers. Their mission was to patrol the "space lanes" to render assistance and intervene if needed -- "Cops and Docs In Space".

Mr. Roddenberry responded as you would expect: a nod, a smile, and a "send a letter to my people".

I sent the letter and got back the standard fan-pack, with photos, news blurbs, and other form-letter stuff.

A couple of decades later, I saw the first few episodes of Voyager. Somehow, it all looked familiar...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 12:25 am

I really liked the original series as a kid but I have never watched any of the follow ups. I saw a few of the movies.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 12:29 am

I watched all of Next Generation, well at least most, skipped a couple episodes that seemed like filler stuff I did not want to see like holodeck mystery episodes...just not something I cared about. But I enjoyed most of the series, and I have gotten maybe half way through Deep Space Nine, which I do really like that one...also the younger kid in Deep Space Nine is much less annoying than the kid on Next Generation. I will admit I am not very interested in watching the original series, its just a bit dated and makes it hard to watch though I do respect it because I understand it had more diverse casts and actually went into some controversial topics, apperently some U.S stations would not even air it because it was 'too controversial' But just can't get into watching a 60's-70's rendition of the far future enough to watch the full series. I do want to see the rest of the movie adaptions of the original show, but don't think I could ever get into watching all of the old episodes.