Making Public Transport Autistic Friendly

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 2:16 pm

It's not particularly comfortable to anyone, I think. Just convenient and environmentally friendly.

I wish they had more buses and subways and trams to use during rush hour so they were less crammed. It's no fun for anyone when it's actually difficult to get out of the transport at your stop.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2018, 2:47 pm

I'm unable to use public transport because I find it difficult to be in close proximity to other people, and that's not just because of my social anxiety - I have sensory issues too. Hearing lots of people talking, some one sitting next to me invading my space, different body smells... Yuck!

For me, Autism friendly public transport would mean being able to sit in a private area away from others (at no extra cost) so I could be in peace. That's all, really. Travelling first class would be a good option too but I could never afford that, and anyway, I don't think it exists on buses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 5:50 pm

Basically the only thing that makes me anxious on buses is screaming kids. I'd rather have a smelly tramp sit next to me than have a noisy fidgety toddler sit next to me on it's parent's knee.

I think planes are worse for that though. Just imagine, you're stuck on an 8-hour flight, and you are seated next to or in front of a 2-year-old that is prone to screaming temper tantrums over nothing, and you can even hear it with earplugs in. I'm sorry, I don't care how many times people say "aw, it's only a baby, babies do cry" that does not help me tolerate them. I have misophonia, and I think the sound of whining/screaming/crying children just cannot be blocked out or accepted by me. Parents choose to have these kids, they should take into account that most toddlers do act up in public, and try to avoid catching long plane flights unless urgently necessary. Otherwise, it's just unfair for everyone involved.
Once I watched a documentary on the TV about this couple with quadruplets, and they chose to take the babies on a plane because they thought they needed a break, even though they still will have the babies with them so will spend their whole vacation feeding, changing and lulling them just like at home, so technically it's not a break for the parents. The quadruplets were only 10 months old so were too young to enjoy a vacation.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 1:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
Basically the only thing that makes me anxious on buses is screaming kids. I'd rather have a smelly tramp sit next to me than have a noisy fidgety toddler sit next to me on it's parent's knee.

I think planes are worse for that though. Just imagine, you're stuck on an 8-hour flight, and you are seated next to or in front of a 2-year-old that is prone to screaming temper tantrums over nothing, and you can even hear it with earplugs in. I'm sorry, I don't care how many times people say "aw, it's only a baby, babies do cry" that does not help me tolerate them. I have misophonia, and I think the sound of whining/screaming/crying children just cannot be blocked out or accepted by me. Parents choose to have these kids, they should take into account that most toddlers do act up in public, and try to avoid catching long plane flights unless urgently necessary. Otherwise, it's just unfair for everyone involved.
Once I watched a documentary on the TV about this couple with quadruplets, and they chose to take the babies on a plane because they thought they needed a break, even though they still will have the babies with them so will spend their whole vacation feeding, changing and lulling them just like at home, so technically it's not a break for the parents. The quadruplets were only 10 months old so were too young to enjoy a vacation.

When it comes to toddlers, pre-schoolers, young children I tend to blame the parents if they are screaming or being noisy. I have been on buses where a mother would come on the bus with 2 children one about 5 years old the other 2 maybe 3 she would be sitting down with her phone out texting and probably checking Facebook as well and both children are being noisy and running around and it can be quite irritating, If those parents are giving their children attention or something to instead of ignoring them then the toddlers, pre-schoolers would be a lot quieter. May not be completely quiet but it would reduce the loudness down a bit.

As for planes I have been on planes many times, when it comes to toddlers being loud I find domestic flights worse than long-haul flights. On long-haul flights they tend to have to keep them occupied for the flight. Domestic flights you don't have all that you have to find your own entertainment. One thing that does happen all flights and that is toddlers always screams as the planes takes-off, I know why as well, what happens when the planes takes-off something happens to the pressure. When I am on a plane as it takes off my ears get blocked up and I get earache, I believe that is same for most people. So you will hear toddlers screaming in pain, and you are in pain yourself as well. That is usually the worst part of flying, as soon as you are up in the air it stops.

Like I said I blame the parents, it is there responsibility.