Dating compatibility based on reading preferences?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 4:37 pm

Maybe this is weird, but does anyone else judge a potential date's... well, datability, by what books they enjoy reading? Like, if they say they like to read Brandon Sanderson or Robert Jordan, I immediately know we'll get along great. But if they like reading trashy vampire romances like Twilight or House of Night, they usually turn out to be really shallow and not all that bright. That doesn't always turn out to be the case, but 9 times out of 10 it is in my experience. Is anyone else like this?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 4:56 pm

Sanderson or Jordan my arse , this is your favourite book :P

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 4:57 pm

I would agree, not necessarily based on the books themselves or the authors, but on the type of books someone likes to read.

You mentioned Twilight, I would also add basically any Young Adult novel, and if someone is over the age of, say, 25 and they still read YA novels, I would consider them in some sort of suspended state of adolescence and I probably would not be interested in them.

If on the other hand, they read a genre that I didn't necessarily enjoy, but was of an adult nature, I'm okay with that, because it's not the content itself, it's the fact that it's material that is not geared towards children.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 5:01 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
You mentioned Twilight, I would also add basically any Young Adult novel, and if someone is over the age of, say, 25 and they still read YA novels, I would consider them in some sort of suspended state of adolescence and I probably would not be interested in them.

I only partially agree. While most YA books stop being good once you get older (Hunger Games, Divergent) the ones that stick with you even when you're an adult (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson) are still some of the best books I've ever read.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 6:00 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

I only partially agree. While most YA books stop being good once you get older (Hunger Games, Divergent) the ones that stick with you even when you're an adult (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson) are still some of the best books I've ever read.

I will agree with you on the Harry Potter books. While I'm not really a fan, I've read enough of them to know that they get more and more complex as the series goes on, much like a reader should. Start off small then grow.

And I scorn YA novels but at least people are reading. There are people out there who haven't picked up a book since they graduated school. 8O I don't know which is worse.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2018, 6:11 pm

I do to a degree. Unfortunately, most of the things girls I'm attracted to read, (celebrity gossip mags, 50 Shades, etc.) are the polar opposite of what I read (Discover Magazine, The New Yorker, Time, etc.) Similar issues arise when it comes to musical tastes (Top 40 vs. oldies and classic rock) and TV/movie tastes (Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Entertainment Tonight, etc., vs. the History Channel and the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries) :P

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 10:04 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
I do to a degree. Unfortunately, most of the things girls I'm attracted to read, (celebrity gossip mags, 50 Shades, etc.) are the polar opposite of what I read (Discover Magazine, The New Yorker, Time, etc.) Similar issues arise when it comes to musical tastes (Top 40 vs. oldies and classic rock) and TV/movie tastes (Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Entertainment Tonight, etc., vs. the History Channel and the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries) :P

Yeah, I agree. The Hitler Channel is pretty awesome.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 5:48 am

Luhluhluh wrote:
ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

I will agree with you on the Harry Potter books. While I'm not really a fan, I've read enough of them to know that they get more and more complex as the series goes on, much like a reader should. Start off small then grow.

And I scorn YA novels but at least people are reading. There are people out there who haven't picked up a book since they graduated school. 8O I don't know which is worse.

Some people just aren't interested in reading books. There's nothing wrong with that; there's plenty of other ways to gain information or sharpen your mind than just reading.

If anything I would prefer somebody who isn't stuck in their books. I've always found it to be a very anti-social hobby. I'd rather spend time with somebody I can go out and do things with. But that's just my preference.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 6:15 am

Well then, I need to brush up on erotic thrillers.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

I am definitely open to good suggestions to read. I enjoy thrillers, but I’ve also read a lot of boring novels.

Most guys don’t read terrible books like 50 shades of grey and twilight.

I do prefer guys who read to guys who don’t. They’re usually smarter.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 9:44 pm

I was talking to a girl who couldn't stop going on about all these crappy vampire books that she loves. I told her I write, and she said she did too, would I like to see one?

She sent me a document that literally went "My name is Veronica Morganville Onyx Luscietta, and I'm the daughter of the vampire king. My father is the great great great great great grandson of Dracula. I live in the vampire world. It's like nothing you could ever imagine. So anyway, I was standing on the balcony with my royal fiance, Cedrico. He was so hot and his dad was the first mortal my father (the king) ever turned into a vampire. We love each other."

I asked, "Do you want some criticism?"

She said, "Sure."

I said, "You do a lot of telling but no showing. Anything the reader needs to know should come from something the main character is seeing, hearing, or otherwise experiencing. Just saying "My name is Blah and here's five paragraphs of how my world works" isn't good writing."

We're not talking anymore. :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jul 2018, 6:46 pm

My girlfriend likes to read & I hate reading due to dyslexia & AD[H]D. She reads lots of psychology books & books on various disorders she may have or has symptoms of but she also like those sexy romance vampire books. I have no problem with her reading but she kind of sometimes wishes that I was into it but it was never really a preference she was looking for in a romantic partner.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition