Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Wijogr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2018, 7:50 am

Is there something to people calling me Forrest or Gump? Is this intended to be an insult? The book was written about and Autistic Savant. A manager at work calls me this. Not sure how to take it. I have a very monotone voice. Could that be the dig?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 8:09 am

It's insult.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 8:13 am

Wijogr wrote:
Is there something to people calling me Forrest or Gump? Is this intended to be an insult? The book was written about and Autistic Savant. A manager at work calls me this. Not sure how to take it. I have a very monotone voice. Could that be the dig?

That's an insult and if you have an HR department you might want to think about reporting your jerk manager to them for creating a hostile work environment for you. That's not funny.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 8:58 am

I think being called "Forrest Gump" is a compliment myself because he is a character I can relate to for the eidetic memory piece and the inspiring story. I think you should read the book and the movie again and look at the amazing life that Forrest had and try to make an inspiring life if your own. Believe me, there are worse things than being called "Forrest Gump" believe me. For example, he could call you the "R" word.

If you are uncomfortable, maybe start using comebacks like "My ma always told me life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." Or you could start running while playing the Forrest Gump soundtrack whenever he runs. Why you could also get yourself a "Bubba Gump" hat and start wearing it to tease your boss while offering to take him out for shrimp.

Finally, you could ask him why he calls you that and what it is about you that reminds you of Forrest.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:07 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
If you are uncomfortable, maybe start using comebacks like "My ma always told me life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." Or you could start running while playing the Forrest Gump soundtrack whenever he runs. Why you could also get yourself a "Bubba Gump" hat and start wearing it to tease your boss while offering to take him out for shrimp.

I hope this is a pisstake.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:21 am

Tequila wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

I hope this is a pisstake.

There are times and places where you have to be witty with situations like this and I for one love Forrest Gump and find that using lines from the movie and running to the soundtrack to make light of the situation. Speaking of pisstake, if his boss calls him "Gump" he can go "I gotta pee."

However, if he puts him down in other ways, then it's okay to go to HR about that. I also suggest going somewhere to cry that no one will find him until he feels better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:22 am

I happen to strongly identify with Forrest Gump. He was a primary inspiration behind me running marathons in the 1990s.

I'm thinking, alas, that your boss called you "Forrest Gump" as sort of an insult. Perhaps because of your naivete, rather than your intelligence. Forrest was strikingly naïve---but he wasn't necessarily a person who lacked intelligence. He had sort of a "natural" intelligence. A sort of "common sense" sort of intelligence.

After all, he did save all those people in Vietnam!! !! ! Don't forget that!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:25 am

Don't deal with this here. Deal with it privately.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I happen to strongly identify with Forrest Gump. He was a primary inspiration behind me running marathons in the 1990s.

I'm thinking, alas, that your boss called you "Forrest Gump" as sort of an insult. Perhaps because of your naivete, rather than your intelligence. Forrest was strikingly naïve---but he wasn't necessarily a person who lacked intelligence. He had sort of a "natural" intelligence. A sort of "common sense" sort of intelligence.

After all, he did save all those people in Vietnam!! ! ! ! Don't forget that!

He was an incredibly endearing character.

It’s a shame that people choose to use him as an insult.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:29 am

He was the guy that basically got crapped on.

Wijogr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2018, 9:34 am

Tequila- Isn’t this web site meant to be a place to discuss this sort of thing?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:45 am

Wijogr wrote:
Tequila- Isn’t this web site meant to be a place to discuss this sort of thing?

It is.

Don’t even worry about it.

I’m wondering if this is something that you should talk to HR about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:51 am

I don't know that I would go to HR just for the boss calling him "Forrest Gump." However, I would document it in writing.

If this "boss" starts treating you in a demeaning way in general, and creates a lousy work environment for you over a period of weeks or months, then I might get HR involved.

I happen to absolutely idolize Forrest Gump, by the way. He's a Cool Cat! And he was a great dad to his son. His son is going to grow up to be a great man because of the type of dad Forrest is.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't know that I would go to HR just for the boss calling him "Forrest Gump." However, I would document it in writing.

If this "boss" starts treating you in a demeaning way in general, and creates a lousy work environment for you over a period of weeks or months, then I might get HR involved.

I happen to absolutely idolize Forrest Gump, by the way. He's a Cool Cat! And he was a great dad to his son. His son is going to grow up to be a great man because of the type of dad Forrest is.

I know. I adore Forrest Gump, too, so it really bugs me when people use him as an insult. They must be so dense they miss the entire point of the whole movie.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:56 am

Quote:
And he was a great dad to his son. His son is going to grow up to be a great man because of the type of dad Forrest is.

You don't read the film properly.

Wijogr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2018, 9:59 am

I called him Bubba once and said that at least I’m the rich one. He didn’t much like that.