Sociopaths/Narcissists Drawn to Autistic People?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 9:28 am

What's a Narc?

Ms. Peel, I feel like he would miss you....and be nice to you for a while....but I feel, ultimately, that he would probably revert back to his old habits. I wouldn't take him back if I were you.

I've fallen into similar traps myself....that's why I could give this advice.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 9:58 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Well, yeah, I suspect my (soon to be ex-) husband has NPD.

I recently split from him, and I sometimes think things would be easier if I could just write him off as being evil. But he's not. Or not deliberately - he's not the malicious kind. He's more a sort of blindly oblivious wrecking-ball.

There's absolutely no understanding of other people's wants and needs (where they differ from his own), and the constant expectation that everyone should do things the way he thinks is right. Friends are cultivated for their usefulness to him, but become enemies as soon as they dare to contradict him.

I think there's a reason we fall prey to these people. Being with him helped me in some ways - I learnt from him how much society values self-confidence (even misplaced), and how humility can be taken as weakness. Useful life skills for an autistic.

And then I learnt how soul-destroying it is to have the control over one's life gradually eroded away. I learnt to be wary of those who radiate constant dissatisfaction. And in the end I started to get the idea of standing up for myself. Another damn good life skill.

He wants me back. He's sending me presents and flowers and offering to take me out for dinner. He's wooing me like he did 25 years ago. He's being... I dunno... sweet?

I think there's going to be another lesson in here, somewhere, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

In a situation like that, it's best not to accept those gifts from him because you don't want to give him mixed messages because then you would be leading him on. If he continues not to take "No" for an answer then this is a matter for the authorities

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2018, 11:42 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I have had my fair share of people like this believe me as I have posted a great deal about the ones who hurt me and like the rest of you, I have learned to put my foot down with people like that.

I had a toxic relationship with someone who had NLD where others on the outside looking in felt that she was not a very supportive friend along with also having other issues along with being mean. In fact, she was a very weird friend.
1. She was controlling and didn't want me associating with any of her friends and family where there would always be hearsay from her. She did some really sneaky and mean things to keep friendships from bonding
2. Was very envious of the being of my weight, looks, and intelligence and was scared that this one guy who we both liked would choose me over her. As soon as she met her husband, she liked to dangle him in front of me and do things like rub on his hair with this evil little smile on her face
3. There were several times where she blew me off and everything else was more important
4. She was very manipulative
5. She was destructive
6. She stabbed me in the back
7. She was also very negative
8. She put me down so that I would cry
9. She came to my gatherings but others felt that she didn't show any appreciation. Rather it was an obligation.

At the end of our friendship, she invited me over for Christmas in the middle of going through a period of unemployment. Yet, the signs were clear that she didn't want to be with me being that she started making plans and then bailing or stating that she was "Tired" when we ran into each other one afternoon. The entire time she acted like nothing was wrong and that we were close friends.

Then she rejected me one week later because she didn't "Like it" for calling her out due to showing up at a New Year's gathering with an arrogant attitude via facebook by hinting. Yet, she never bothered to say "I'm sorry." Rather it was "My husband felt out of place." :x

I can't even imagine. I had a weird friendship with an African lady and her family all of whom were from Kenya or of Kenyan descent. These people (at least the older adults) held onto racist beliefs about many non-blacks particularly Arabs, Jews and East Asians, but gave a pass to white people who weren't Jewish. It was crazy. I tried staying their friend hoping they'd change their ways, but the last straw for me was when I accidentally signed a warrant for this African lady's niece's husband's license to be suspended. I texted her that I didn't think we could be friends anymore because I disgraced their family. However, the full reason why I ended it with all of them had to do with the way they thought about different races and ethnicities. I knew if I married an Asian man, I'd never get their blessings. Knowing them they'd probably insult him in their native language. I can't believe I wasted 6 years of my life on these people. I should've dropped that class we took together too and deleted her number. If only I used my brain back then.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2018, 11:51 am

Sociopaths/narcissists, by definition, are drawn to whoever they can take advantage of. So yes, if they see you as a potential victim, they'll exploit you.

They don't mind the reasons why you are weak. If they think they can take anything from you, they'll do it. It doesn't matter to them whether you are tall, short, black, white, neurotypical, textbook autistic, physically challenged or whatever.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2018, 9:30 pm

I have had one sociopathic "friend." Before he was "friends" with me he was actually friends with my friend, who was also autistic. AND at the same time he was "friends" with me he was also "friends" with another one of my friends, who again is autistic. So I guess you could say he was drawn to autistic people. But that's just one anecdote. He did enjoy putting me down about my lack of social skills a lot though.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 8:12 am

Kraftie, Narc is Narcissist.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 9:13 am

Jenine wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
I have had my fair share of people like this believe me as I have posted a great deal about the ones who hurt me and like the rest of you, I have learned to put my foot down with people like that.

I had a toxic relationship with someone who had NLD where others on the outside looking in felt that she was not a very supportive friend along with also having other issues along with being mean. In fact, she was a very weird friend.
1. She was controlling and didn't want me associating with any of her friends and family where there would always be hearsay from her. She did some really sneaky and mean things to keep friendships from bonding
2. Was very envious of the being of my weight, looks, and intelligence and was scared that this one guy who we both liked would choose me over her. As soon as she met her husband, she liked to dangle him in front of me and do things like rub on his hair with this evil little smile on her face
3. There were several times where she blew me off and everything else was more important
5. She was destructive
9. She came to my gatherings but others felt that she didn't show any appreciation. Rather it was an obligation.

At the end of our friendship, she invited me over for Christmas in the middle of going through a period of unemployment. Yet, the signs were clear that she didn't want to be with me being that she started making plans and then bailing or stating that she was "Tired" when we ran into each other one afternoon. The entire time she acted like nothing was wrong and that we were close friends.

Then she rejected me one week later because she didn't "Like it" for calling her out due to showing up at a New Year's gathering with an arrogant attitude via facebook by hinting. Yet, she never bothered to say "I'm sorry." Rather it was "My husband felt out of place." :x

I can't even imagine. I had a weird friendship with an African lady and her family all of whom were from Kenya or of Kenyan descent. These people (at least the older adults) held onto racist beliefs about many non-blacks particularly Arabs, Jews and East Asians, but gave a pass to white people who weren't Jewish. It was crazy. I tried staying their friend hoping they'd change their ways, but the last straw for me was when I accidentally signed a warrant for this African lady's niece's husband's license to be suspended. I texted her that I didn't think we could be friends anymore because I disgraced their family. However, the full reason why I ended it with all of them had to do with the way they thought about different races and ethnicities. I knew if I married an Asian man, I'd never get their blessings. Knowing them they'd probably insult him in their native language. I can't believe I wasted 6 years of my life on these people. I should've dropped that class we took together too and deleted her number. If only I used my brain back then.

You did the right thing that their attitude alone is based on hatred which is a form of negativity.

My ex-friend who you read about was a downer and was just very negative and very moody and I always had to walk on eggshells around her whenever it came to talking about anything related to careers and that guy on the spectrum who I really liked for a while. It was "Can we not talk about those things? I don't know what I want to do with my life yet and I am still single."

Then she met her husband, she started thinking she was better than I was though she was still envious of me. When I would tell her, "Ever since you have gotten married, you have thought you were better than I am." Her response was "Just don't do that to me when your career gets going." What? 8O

In the middle of her engagement and the rest of the friendship we ended fighting all the time because I felt like she wasn't being a supportive friend along with being jealous of her husband.

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2018, 11:52 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:

5. She was destructive

This person sounds highly toxic. The one thing I have no tolerance for is people who put me down. I had enough put downs in the first 25 years of my life to last a lifetime. It's a good thing they are out of your life now. She/he sounds very jealous and insecure.

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2018, 11:55 am

ladyelaine wrote:
I have encountered a lot of these types of people myself. I try like hell to avoid them when I can. Narcissists and Sociopaths think of us easy to manipulate and take advantage of because we have little to no friends and are often naive about people.

I think this is the best and most succinct analysis I've found so far about why narcs and sociopaths target us. I'm going to avoid them like hell from now on, too. I'm learning all I can about them, so that I can STAY AWAY. I've worked so hard to overcome depression, and feel OK about myself and my life, and they will just push me back into feeling bad about myself and depressed. I refuse to go there again.

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2018, 12:00 pm

alpacka wrote:
czarsmom wrote:
I'm a 57 year old woman with ASD. I seem to have had more than my fair share of so called "friends" who turned out to be abusive and exploitative towards me. I just recently removed myself from a toxic relationship with a "friend". She would monopolize the conversation, try to one up me whenever I tried to say something, not listen to me, keep asking me to do things for her, be snarky at times for no reason, etc. After a little while I got sick and tired of this. I felt drained after talking to her or being with her, so I told her I wanted her to stop calling me. I never called her, because she was always calling me. This sort of thing has happened to me many times in the past.

I want to know if this happens to other persons with ASD. If so, what has been your experience? I would love to hear some feedback on this. I've worked hard to learn how to have normal healthy relationships with other people. By the way, I also had a narc mother and much abuse growing up. It seems like there are a lot of nasty people out there. I feel like I have a target on my back that these people can see, but I can't see it myself.

Thankfully, I do have a couple of friends who are kind and supportive, and not like this. But it seems that most of the people who try to strike up a friendship with me are such as I described.

Interesting. I can relate to this as well. I think autistic people are so unsure that they notice bad behavoir way too late then NTs. Thats my simple answer why.
For me for example I have difficulties to notice if someone is rude, avoiding, uninterested or just normal. This constant ambivalence feelings leading other ppl to take advantage because they pick up that "she dont get it, I can be snarky but shes seem ok, i continue".

Its not fair.

Yes, I believe that has been true of me, too. Thanks for responding.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

czarsmom wrote:
ladyelaine wrote:
I have encountered a lot of these types of people myself. I try like hell to avoid them when I can. Narcissists and Sociopaths think of us easy to manipulate and take advantage of because we have little to no friends and are often naive about people.

I think this is the best and most succinct analysis I've found so far about why narcs and sociopaths target us. I'm going to avoid them like hell from now on, too.
I agree. Plus, I feel narcs and sociopaths actually depend on people like Autistic people because they have this pathological need to have someone they can constantly demean and control in order to make them feel better about themselves. That is why they can sometimes do everything they can to keep you on the hook and under their spell. The best option is to get yourself away completely, but for the reasons ladyelaine said, it can be particularly difficult and damaging for someone on the spectrum.

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2018, 12:08 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Well, yeah, I suspect my (soon to be ex-) husband has NPD.

I recently split from him, and I sometimes think things would be easier if I could just write him off as being evil. But he's not. Or not deliberately - he's not the malicious kind. He's more a sort of blindly oblivious wrecking-ball.

There's absolutely no understanding of other people's wants and needs (where they differ from his own), and the constant expectation that everyone should do things the way he thinks is right. Friends are cultivated for their usefulness to him, but become enemies as soon as they dare to contradict him.

I think there's a reason we fall prey to these people. Being with him helped me in some ways - I learnt from him how much society values self-confidence (even misplaced), and how humility can be taken as weakness. Useful life skills for an autistic.

And then I learnt how soul-destroying it is to have the control over one's life gradually eroded away. I learnt to be wary of those who radiate constant dissatisfaction. And in the end I started to get the idea of standing up for myself. Another damn good life skill.

He wants me back. He's sending me presents and flowers and offering to take me out for dinner. He's wooing me like he did 25 years ago. He's being... I dunno... sweet?

I think there's going to be another lesson in here, somewhere, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

Please, whatever you do, do not allow him to manipulate you with presents, flowers, and dinners out! This is called HOOVERING and it is a classic narcissist ploy! This is only temporary, and the abuse will be worse than ever if you go crawling back to him! Go research narcissism and hovering on the internet. There are many videos about this, and it is total manipulation.

He definitely sounds like a narc. It's a good thing you are getting away from him. I admire your mature attitude of being grateful for what you learned from him, even though he hurt you. Yes, I agree, it is soul destroying to not have control over one's own life.

I think the most valuable lesson I've learned as an adult is to stand up for myself. I was doubly disabled by not only autism, but being raised in a highly restrictive, authoritarian, puritanical family where I was to be seen and not heard, and I was to be nice to people, no matter what the cost to myself. Very bad. That really screwed me up for a long time. It was a setup for being victimized by other people.

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm

MagicKnight wrote:
Sociopaths/narcissists, by definition, are drawn to whoever they can take advantage of. So yes, if they see you as a potential victim, they'll exploit you.

They don't mind the reasons why you are weak. If they think they can take anything from you, they'll do it. It doesn't matter to them whether you are tall, short, black, white, neurotypical, textbook autistic, physically challenged or whatever.

I believe you are correct. I'm going to be on guard for people like this from now on. I'll be super careful who I allow to be my friend.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2018, 12:16 pm

I'd have to say yes... From my experience. I guess i've been naive in life and it's been quite obvious, and on top of that when I really like someone I ignore my gut and trust anything they say instead but I don't do that as much anymore as I have really big trust issues now. I don't know if that is an aspie thing... Maybe, as we're bad at reading people. In my case it's been very obvious to others that someone is messing with me while I have been completely unable to see it. I already hated that people can't say what they mean, it's even worse that some people say things they don't mean on purpose in order to use you. :(

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 12:49 pm

czarsmom wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

5. She was destructive

This person sounds highly toxic. The one thing I have no tolerance for is people who put me down. I had enough put downs in the first 25 years of my life to last a lifetime. It's a good thing they are out of your life now. She/he sounds very jealous and insecure.

She was jealous of her husband - yes but I don't want to get into that. I was jealous of her husband in that she suddenly didn't have the free time anymore because I like having that platonic female relationship. So I am angry about that along with having to realize that she's a jerk.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
In a situation like that, it's best not to accept those gifts from him because you don't want to give him mixed messages because then you would be leading him on. If he continues not to take "No" for an answer then this is a matter for the authorities

Yeah. And maybe this is why I'm narcissistic cannon-fodder, because I couldn't turn down the gifts. Just having someone thinking enough about me to buy me a gift makes me go all soft and squidgy, I become a complete push-over. It seems so hard-hearted to refuse them.

The whole situation is so tough, because it seems like the only way to escape him is to be downright cruel, to tell him I hate him and never want to see him again. And it's not even true, I don't hate him, I just can't live with his behaviour, and have no hope anymore that he can change.

I think you're right, though. Maybe I still need to toughen up a bit, and be cruel to be kind.