Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 6:55 pm

During there 70's heyday, ELO were savaged by critics as a Beatles ripoff. There are a Beatles inspiration and influence for sure but that was pretty true for almost every rock band in one way or another back then. The Beatles might have broken up in 1970 but they remained ubiquitous for the remainder of the decade, not only the former members having hits, but Beatle weekends and a Beatle song played every hour on rock stations.

A sign of a great band is when year hear them no matter how varied their songs are you know the song can only come from that group. Arguably ELO and Queen fit that description in the for 70's hard rock/

IMHO the best version of "Roll Over Beethoven"

Strange Magic

Livin Thing

Can't Get It Out Of My Head

Turn To Stone

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 7:00 pm

Sure, the ELO produced great music -- that much is undeniable.

Another undeniable issue is that the leaders of ELO 'fired' their back-up orchestra as soon as they became famous (or so I've been told).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2018, 1:43 am

Not a big ELO fan but this song

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2018, 2:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
During there 70's heyday, ELO were savaged by critics as a Beatles ripoff.

That's a shame, and pretty wrongheaded. To me they're sort of like the Beatles doing prog rock. I think every album is great, though I'd rate Secret Messages and Balance of Power as just good. Their singles were tremendously good, and they had great album tracks like "One Summer Dream" and "Nightrider."

I'd also throw in that "Ticket to the Moon" sounds like what the Beatles may have done if they were around in the 80s.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 2:35 pm

Don't forget "Mister Blue Sky", which is an ELO piece that has been featured in many films and TV shows.