Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2018, 10:40 am

Has anyone found some good autism awareness shirts? I've been looking for one to raise awareness. I don't personally like the tacky "my superpower is autism" but I would like a shirt that specifically mentions autism.

Has anyone seen an autism awareness shirt that either matches my description or one that you liked?

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 8:57 pm

I've noticed a severe lack of neutral "tone" in autism awareness shirts too.

That said, here are a few on the more neutral end of the spectrum.

https://www.amazon.com/Wear-Blue-Autism-Awareness-Shirt/dp/B01J7E1RVA
https://www.momsfavorite.us/5000-s4e0033-autism-flag-blue-t-shirt-autism-awareness-shirts.html
https://www.zazzle.com/autism_awareness_tree_t_shirt-235414073261488682

Maybe my favorite here just because it keeps things simple:
https://awkwardstyles.com/product/mens-autism-autistic-support-graphic-v-neck-t-shirt-tops-for-autism-awareness/

[Edit] Advisedly removed one due to new info.

Last edited by Exuvian on 16 Jul 2018, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2018, 9:16 pm

I prefer acceptance to awareness. Please don't light it up blue to support Autism Speaks because they are actually really harmful to autistic people (read more here: http://autisticadvocacy.org/2012/04/acceptance-vs-awareness/ and here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2013/11/13/why-autism-speaks-doesnt-speak-for-me/#49141f513152). With that said, these are good I think:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autism-Seeing-The-World-Differently-L-S-T-Shirt-Autism-Awareness-Event-Tee-Z1-/132049615585
https://goatstee.com/product/celebrate-neurodiversity-t-shirt-rainbowspectrum/

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 9:29 pm

Child of the Universe wrote:
I prefer acceptance to awareness. Please don't light it up blue to support Autism Speaks because they are actually really harmful to autistic people

I was unaware that "light it up blue" was entirely an Autism Speaks campaign. Thanks for edifying.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 8:12 am

How about having a go at designing your own? If you can access a basic image editing app', a regular inkjet printer and a clothes iron, you can print anything you like onto fabric using iron-on transfer paper (link to some tutorial videos).

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 10:49 am

I get numerous advertisements for such clothes turning up on social media feeds.

Most look just like another product line for the clothes maker concerned.

The "Autism Awareness" tag appears to be to manufacture some good feeling in the purchaser rather than any particular benefit to autistic people.

The designs seemed to impart very little useful information which would increase understanding.

I confess I tended to respond with comments linking to books by Autistic people as a much better way of raising awareness.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 2:27 pm

If I see anyone wearing a blue and/or Autism $peaks shirt for autism awareness it will be all I can do not to throw red paint on them. :evil:

I want to see t-shirts that promote autism acceptance. Like a no symbol of the puzzle piece, or the rainbow infinity symbol.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 7:25 pm

Exuvian wrote:

Stylistically, I like this one the best. But it doesn't say what it is made of. I cannot stand any fabric except cotton on my skin. You would think someone doing a t-shirt for autism would think about fabric and labels.

I do appreciate the other comments especially regarding autism acceptance and neurodiversity. Seems like a better approach. Autism acceptance sounds like we are less than...

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 1:26 am

blazingstar wrote:
Exuvian wrote:

Stylistically, I like this one the best. But it doesn't say what it is made of. I cannot stand any fabric except cotton on my skin. You would think someone doing a t-shirt for autism would think about fabric and labels.

I do appreciate the other comments especially regarding autism acceptance and neurodiversity. Seems like a better approach. Autism acceptance sounds like we are less than...

I feel you look at the size chart it states preshrunk cotton. I am the same. I can only wear cotton or silk.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 2:11 am

I was given 2 autism shirts that I've outgrown. One says, "Autism it's not for wimps" and the other "I'm autistic what's your excuse?".

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Exuvian wrote:

I feel you look at the size chart it states preshrunk cotton. I am the same. I can only wear cotton or silk.

So, the web designer decided that the material it is made of should be in a separate window labeled "size chart." :roll: Thank you for pointing it out, Elsa. I never would have found it! :D :) :)

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 9:35 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
If I see anyone wearing a blue and/or Autism $peaks shirt for autism awareness it will be all I can do not to throw red paint on them. :evil:

I want to see t-shirts that promote autism acceptance. Like a no symbol of the puzzle piece, or the rainbow infinity symbol.

I suspect throwing paint on people isn't likely to sway them to your side.
It would be better to talk to them about why it's a problem, or assume they mean well until otherwise indicated.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2018, 11:48 pm

Exuvian wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I suspect throwing paint on people isn't likely to sway them to your side.
It would be better to talk to them about why it's a problem, or assume they mean well until otherwise indicated.

I agree. Some people might support autism speaks or autism awareness and not be very educated on why they are bad. It's better to educate them than to attack them.