What's the climate where you live?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

crazy cats lady
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2018, 11:46 am

Here summers are hot and dry, long and horrible. Winters are mild, a bit rainy. No snow. Plenty of sunshine all year around.

The ultimate blog for cats lovers about the huge colonies of feral cats roaming the streets of Tel-Aviv. Feral cats videos, feline humor that'll make you laugh your whiskers off, and cats psychology like what cats dream about. Meet Amiga and Chocolate-Paws in my blog.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 11:55 am

We have warm to hot summers with considerable humidity, cool-to-cold winters with considerable snow, and nice springs and autumns.

I'm in NYC.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 12:23 pm

The climate where I live is generally just how I like it:

Very often overcast and gray.
Cool. Anything in the 80s Fahrenheit is hot, 90s+ is angrily uncomfortable.
Summers are very short
Winter/snow on the ground can last longer than seven months.

If temps in the summer never got above 60 degrees Fahrenheit, I would be perfectly happy with that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 12:38 pm

Magna: that fits the description of the higher elevations of the Rocky Mountains to a tee.....or maybe interior Alaska.

We get lots of snow; but the snow usually melts rather rapidly----almost always within two weeks of a decent storm. We've had 12-inch snowfalls that melted the next day.

In the winter of 2010-2011, however, the snow stayed from late December to early March without melting. It was over 50 inches most of that time.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 12:47 pm

Northern MN not all that far of a drive from the Canadian border, Kortie. I sweat profusely in humid conditions and do NOT do well in hot steamy weather. I also have sensitive skin so full on sun isn't something that "lifts my spirits". I prefer wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts. So, cool weather is my friend.

I have an oddity that I can't quite figure out since it's absolutely counter to my overall sensitivities. During the cold half of the year I love to wear wool. Merino wool short sleeved T-shirts and long sleeved Pendleton wool shirts. The long sleeve wool touches my bare skin and even though it's scratchy, it doesn't bother me. Wool provides the most comfortable warmth and that's why I like it. So....I have no problem with scritchy wool on my arms, but I can't stand clothing labels on my neck or cut hairs on my face, neck, etc after I get a haircut ........I can't figure that one out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm

LOL....you're in minus 40 territory! Though I've seen it in the 40s and 50s in mid-winter. It's usually in the single-digits either above or below zero.

I have difficulty with wool in all seasons. And with tags, too.

I just don't like wearing "long johns."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 5:35 pm

I'm in the American midwest - we have hot (typically reaching 100+ a few times) and humid summers (it's actually the humidity that gets to me a lot more than the heat), cold winters with typically a few inches of snow several times over the course of the winter as well as the occasional ice storm, and the tornado sirens typically go off a couple times over the spring/summer - we're well used to that, we're in the area known as "tornado alley." Never actually been scarily close to a tornado, we always just get the pets and spend some time in the basement just in case when that happens. It's treated so casually here that we have neighbors who don't do anything when the sirens go off and probably wouldn't take shelter until they literally saw a tornado coming down the street 8O

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 8:14 am

I live near Seattle so lots of rain in the winter. Rarely snow. Generally mild summers (but scorcher periods) fantastic springs and autumns.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Jul 2018, 3:36 pm

I live in Vermont & we tend to have cold winters with LOTS of snow. We used to have more mild temps in the summer but lately the temp has been a lot higher than a few years ago. We've been having temps in the 90s & we barely had any spring between the winter cold & the hot summer.

I'm from Louisiana & the temp was hot & humid for half the year. In winter the temps fluctuate between needing the AC & needing the heater.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 4:13 pm

Fairly typical temperate UK climate here. The weather is usually very changeable, with the occasional run of a few weeks of the same weather each day. In winter, we usually have a few days of snow, but rarely very much, and it doesn't usually hang around very long - less than half the winter days would be below freezing during the daytime. Summer temperatures are usually mid-teens to low-twenties Celcius (60's to low 70's Fahrenheit) with intermittent rainy days. Grey, damp, windy, overcast days can strike pretty much any time, but are mostly common from Autumn to Spring. Where I am is in the rain shadow East of the Pennine hills, so we avoid the worst of the high rainfall that some places in the UK get.

When I was a child, heavy and long lasting snow seemed more common, as were long summer heatwaves. I would say that overall it's generally milder these days; the extremes seem to be more of high winds and extreme localised rainfall. The current month-long hot spell with clear skies certainly stands out after the last few years of generally drab summers.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 4:20 pm

coastal weather - windy and humid

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 4:42 pm

Growing up, I used to monitor the London weather. It tended to be in the 60s Fahrenheit at Noon in London even during July (about 15-20 Celsius). When it went above 70, I used to be shocked.

Snow used to be pretty rare. I sense that the UK gets more snow now than in the previous two generations.

I can't believe the UK is having a New York summer LOL......it's like the Twilight Zone.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 11:51 am

It is a barren, frozen wasteland where we are all huddled inside our igloos.

Ha ha,kidding.

Where I live we have a temperate climate, with actual seasons and stuff. Right now it's very warm, humid and sticky. Which I hate. The current temperature on the Weather Network says it's 20 degrees C, but it "feels like" 27. So why don't they just say it's 27 degrees instead of trying to trick my mind into thinking the temperature is more pleasant? :roll:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2018, 1:25 pm

Home Counties in the UK.

Usually bitter sideways rain in Winter, glorious Spring & Autumn and pleasant Summers with a couple of weeks in the middle which get too hot and it thunders.

But right now we are into our 3rd month of straight heatwave. I am melting. We don't know what to do. :lol:

crazy cats lady
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2018, 4:05 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Home Counties in the UK.

Usually bitter sideways rain in Winter, glorious Spring & Autumn and pleasant Summers with a couple of weeks in the middle which get too hot and it thunders.

But right now we are into our 3rd month of straight heatwave. I am melting. We don't know what to do. :lol:

Get an air conditioner

The ultimate blog for cats lovers about the huge colonies of feral cats roaming the streets of Tel-Aviv. Feral cats videos, feline humor that'll make you laugh your whiskers off, and cats psychology like what cats dream about. Meet Amiga and Chocolate-Paws in my blog.