Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

Activism would be fine if rational and self-aware agents were doing it. Unfortunately we don't have any of those, we just have humans.

I was thinking about this more on my lunch break after trying to listen to a George Lakoff lecture. He seems like a sharp guy, almost like half a 'trying to develop into' Robert Sapolsky, and he almost gets there but it seems like his own bias (against moderates of all things) seems to nip him in the end and he just gets exposed as a partisan. It seems like, if we were V6 engines, in terms of search for truth, nearly all of us are firing on only two or three cylinders. A few are firing on four or five, five in particularly is rare. I'd give george maybe 3 1/2, the Weinstein brothers and Harris closer to 5. Past that - we just can't hack it, we're social animals and being social animals our sense of truth is convoluted by social image and worship of Conformitas beyond much of any possible way out.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 8:36 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
don't be very picky with the way I write, I just read it and feel embarrassed because it's quite bad. I said "I felt disappointed because I was disappointed". I need to improve my english but most of time I'm just lazy and just hope people will understand me.

I wasn't criticizing the way you write. It's a trend I've noticed for quite some time, particularly worrisome when they try to define crimes by the alleged victim's feelings.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.