Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2018, 5:34 pm

I really want to study stuff that is very interesting. I have executive functioning issues though. I want to apply to university next year.

Some of my teachers believe that I am capable. I really dont know if it is my type of setting though. I want to major in Criminology and minor in Latin American Studies. I am fascinated by those things.

Im just not very socially adept. I have difficulties with self advocacy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 6:55 pm

You can either apply to universities or not -- you will either find out if you can handle it, or you will never know.

The choice is yours.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 7:22 pm

If you decide to go, avail yourself of all the services available. There may be a disabilities center that can provide counseling, training (e.g. in self-advocacy), and other services to improve your outcome. There are workarounds to things like executive function problems - but only if you use them.

Personally, I think it is important throughout our lifespan to grow as a person. You have to take some risks if you are ever to grow. Some of those risks won't pan out, and you need to be able to handle a bit of failure without letting it completely overcome you.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 9:06 am

Well we only live 1 life so you might as well do whatever you can to succeed in life. Don't be another statistic like me and drop out of college after just 1 semester, one of the worst decisions of my life! It's not too late though ☺

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 10:32 am

Why do you even ask strangers whether you should do what you want? So they say no?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 11:05 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Why do you even ask strangers whether you should do what you want? So they say no?

I don't think ilikemusic was asking.

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2018, 11:11 am

I went and graduated

I went to a State School with a strong support system for people with “Learning Disabilities”.

I struggled, but I learned how I could learn.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 11:15 am

"I want to major in Criminology and minor in Latin American Studies. I am fascinated by those things."
It sounds like you already have a goal. That is good. Many students entering college do not have goals.
In my opinion, many neurotypical (normal) kids had a distinct disadvantage when they travel off to college. They were unable to deal with the greater freedom and they lacked self-discipline. Many students wasted away their educational opportunity by entering a full-time party mode. Many times they had no goal, and many do not even select a major to begin with. Others changed their major so often it was like changing their clothes (every 6 months a different major). Many flunked out after a year or two or three.
So one of the most important elements in going to college is focus. Have a goal in mind and work like mad to achieve that goal.