Is anyone else like this on social media?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sam31
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2018, 9:08 am

I cannot use it anymore. No idea if it's an Aspie thing, or just depression and isolation as to why I do this.

It's like I can't help but rant on.

I go on FB, and it's kind of like I detail my whole life story in statuses. I have no idea how to be on there at all. I even try to tell myself "right, short and sweet status", then I find myself hitting 'post' with a 500 word essay.

I type essays about things and struggle to think "nobody would want to hear this" or "nobody cares". It just happens then I make myself look like an idiot, and end up deleting and blocking all "friends" from my profile.

If someone inbox messages me, I find myself in long essay mode again. They might trigger it off with asking how I am and saying about the weather. I know it's just small talk so doesn't need essays or long replies, but off I go again..... The weather.... I talk and talk, all linked to me of course.... "Yeah the weather is sunny, a bit hot to sleep at night though. My dog was panting the other day because it was so hot and I had to take a water bottle out with me for him. Then as it was so nice I tried sitting out the back with a cold coke. I should really have watered the garden but I don't know a thing about gardening or what a weed is, so the gardens a mess."

That sort of thing really. Then as I have "learned" some questions to ask, even though I don't terribly care, I might put at the end "Enjoying the sun?". Then they type about it, I totally disregard most of what they said and can't help but focus on and reply to 1 thing they might say that I can talk about..... and off I go again.... bit essay, me, me, bleh.

I sort of know I do this, but in the moment it's near enough impossible to realise.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:16 am

Funny you should mention weather as that is the core of what I use Facebook for....weather sites. Than there is vegetarian foods, freeway page and cats.

Most people outside my interests don't give a wooden nickel about what I post....ya think I care? Nope.

Relax buddy.....I'd probably get a kick out of your posts. Smile

fromamegaverse
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2018, 9:46 am

Most conversations I've had with people online, consisted of them mentioning all kinds of random things. Including in their status. I think its common. If you want to keep it short in a status, and conversations, memes can help.