Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2018, 5:12 pm

I am a special education student for most of the day. My teachers work so hard. I want to be more low maintenance. I have processing and focus issues that make it hard for me to read from the textbook. I have to be pulled aside to have it read out loud. I have a lot of issues. It seems very hard to be a special education teacher. Harder than a gen-ed teacher. Special ed students like myself are not as well behaved as other students. Im working on my behavior

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm

Your teachers probably like you.

They didn’t like me; I was sort of a smart-ass sometimes lol

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2018, 10:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your teachers probably like you.

They didn’t like me; I was sort of a smart-ass sometimes lol

I hope so. Im not the smartest kid in the class. I require a lot of attention to make sure I stay on task. Its ok though. Im going to work on that

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2018, 6:36 pm

I was usually one of the smartest kids in the class. It didn’t mean the teachers usually liked me, though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 7:34 am

Ilikemusic wrote:
I am a special education student for most of the day. My teachers work so hard. I want to be more low maintenance. I have processing and focus issues that make it hard for me to read from the textbook. I have to be pulled aside to have it read out loud. I have a lot of issues. It seems very hard to be a special education teacher. Harder than a gen-ed teacher. Special ed students like myself are not as well behaved as other students. Im working on my behavior

I know what you mean. It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I'm finally done with school. And one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to start college.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 9:15 am

I feel bad for mine, too. It must've taken real discipline not to grab me by the neck and smash my head with all their might against the wall.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 11:52 am

College is different from high school.

They treat students better in college, usually. Especially people with disabilities.

As long as you don't disrupt the class, you would be okay.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 8:14 pm

Special education teachers usually choose special education because they want to work with kids who have learning challenges. You shouldn’t feel bad for them. They chose this path and went to college for it.

If they know you’re trying your best and are respectful, they will only have positive feelings towards you.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2018, 9:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Special education teachers usually choose special education because they want to work with kids who have learning challenges. You shouldn’t feel bad for them. They chose this path and went to college for it.

If they know you’re trying your best and are respectful, they will only have positive feelings towards you.

Yeah. I still want to make their lives a bit easier. I can try to improve some of my behavior. That would be difficult. I just feel so bad when I have meltdowns or when I refuse to do my work(I feel bad afterwards). I have had 2 hour long tantrums because I didnt want to do my math. I should have just done it. I was really angry and frustrated at the time though. I am 18.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 9:47 pm

Ilikemusic wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Yeah. I still want to make their lives a bit easier. I can try to improve some of my behavior. That would be difficult. I just feel so bad when I have meltdowns or when I refuse to do my work(I feel bad afterwards). I have had 2 hour long tantrums because I didnt want to do my math. I should have just done it. I was really angry and frustrated at the time though. I am 18.

They expect these things to happen. Just do the best you can and don’t sweat it when you have a setback.

It really is part of being a special education teacher. They receive training in how to deal with these situations. Work on improving in areas that you feel like you can. Any growth is good.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 10:17 pm

I was never put in a special ed class. The teachers thought my problems were all completely my fault, so I don't feel bad for them at all. But I wouldn't have wanted to be put in special ed anyway because it would have made me very uncomfortable. However, I did have a math teacher in a private room with no other students in jr high because math was so hard for me in elementary school. But that was the only class and the school was incredibly generous enough to let me be taught this way. My math improved but my other grades all went down the toilet. :(

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 9:32 am

Don't feel bad about the teachers, thats their calling in life, to be teachers ☺ both of my parents were special ed teachers and trust me, they were more stressed about keeping their own training up to par than the students. Of course they had a few bad eggs here and there but it takes a certain personality to be a teacher. Just like not everyone could be a doctor.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 11:26 am

If you are physically assaulting your teachers, they probably won't like you. (That does happen in special ed.)

If you try your best and sometimes break down (but don't assault them), they will probably be ok with you.

Can't be having hour long tantrums in your college classes though - you'd better learn to manage that.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 11:43 am

Thank them! Whenever you get the chance, thank them for what they are trying to do for you. It will go a long ways towards resolving any negative issues you may have brought to the table in the past.

SerafinaClaborn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2018, 9:44 am

I don't like my teachers! They tell me smth trying to explain, but it doesn't work! Thay's why I use special services that that help me to study all this boring stuff. I use it from time to time and my "perfect teachers " haven't caught me yet!