I Decided to give up writing fiction

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm

For years and years, I tried to write fiction-- Science Fiction, in particular. Feel like a hypocrite, looking back. After all, i did not read much of it. But, from now on, I will write non-fiction instead. Perhaps, that would be better.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:18 am

I'm not following why you're giving up writing science fiction. Are you meaning that you haven't read enough fiction of that type to justify writing it? The only way to remedy that is by reading.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:33 am

I would imagine not reading sci-fi could give you an advantage, as in being able to write new concepts and ideas because you haven't been drawn into common cliches.

There is always a flip side if you want to see it. :)

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 6:18 pm

Temeraire wrote:
I would imagine not reading sci-fi could give you an advantage, as in being able to write new concepts and ideas because you haven't been drawn into common cliches.

One of the key rules of writing has always been that if you don't read, you can't write. Humans are creatures of habit.
Whether we mean to or not, authors are always copying what we've seen before. We put our own spin on it, yes (hopefully), but going into a genre blind will severely cripple your ability to write it.