Bringing autism service dog to school

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Should I bring Latte on the first day of school?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:06 am

beady wrote:
Congratulations on doing what you need to do to succeed. I think you were smart to ask for the whole week. By the end of the week everyone will be getting past the start up jitters and settling into a routine. It might be helpful to mention that he won't always be with you to save yourself from too much questioning when he is absent but seems like you are already well prepared for those hurdles. Good luck with your studies in the coming year!

Yep, what I wrote in the message to my classmates is that he will be with me for the first week of school (and some other times)

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:35 am

It depends on if anyone in your school is allergic to dogs.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 8:27 pm

Fantastic! You did the absolute best thing. I am really proud of you for doing that. Let us know how Latte does at school with you.

Wreck It Ralph

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 7:53 am

This is us on the school yard after our first day of school!

We had no problems. I feel very enthusiastic about tomorrow and the rest of the week. I am looking forward to school.

(if image doesnt show up properly, this is a link to it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AnRdgsr5JMX9LFqc6 )

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm

Oh my goodness, you are both adorable! So cute! Thank you for sharing those pics. I am so glad it went well for you. Good job to both of you. Keep us posted on everything. :D

Wreck It Ralph

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 1:31 am

skibum wrote:
Oh my goodness, you are both adorable! So cute! Thank you for sharing those pics. I am so glad it went well for you. Good job to both of you. Keep us posted on everything. :D

Thank you. I dont recall ever been called adorable. I do agree that he is pretty adorable.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:22 am

Autism service dogs are such a godsend for people like us and their benefit is literally immeasurable. Government funding for this valuable tool should be much higher than it is. Even in my country of Canada there is funding but the demand FAR outstrips the supply so the backlog is quite huge here.

This inevitably means that the greater the need patients get served first, primarily adolescents, and adults like me are turned away unfortuantely. There are ways around this and I'm pursuing those avenues with all due haste.

I hope your time at school goes well with your furry friend!

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 11:28 am

More pictures of us in school. Mainly of him.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... RxV0VNUkZB

He will either go right next to me on the floor or under my desk. We have not had any problems (except that he once decided that it was too warm during a lesson and walked out of the classroom and laid down next to the door).

I will not bring him for a few weeks but when we start having tests I'll bring him.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 1:46 pm

teksla wrote:
More pictures of us in school. Mainly of him.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... RxV0VNUkZB

He will either go right next to me on the floor or under my desk. We have not had any problems (except that he once decided that it was too warm during a lesson and walked out of the classroom and laid down next to the door).

I will not bring him for a few weeks but when we start having tests I'll bring him.

Mine was doing pretty well, but the district gave my school a new space that is much to small. I tried to stay but I had a meltdown before the first hour was up and went home. Hopefully when my new filter gets here it will be better.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia