Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2018, 12:15 am

I am 18 and I feel like I am a kid still. I really like cartoon shirts. I still have a lot of stuffies and I have a low attention span.

I also still ask a lot of why questions and I am not very knowledgeable about adult issues that people my age are dealing with. I dont understand relationships and I couldnt do well in a job interview. I have bad math skills and my parents want to handle my finances for me.

I would rather play with my younger cousins than hangout and talk with the other adults at family gatherings.

I am not going to be living fully independently when I move out as well. I will be getting a bit of assistance.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 1:20 am

it's difficult to tell when you've become an "adult" or not, especially when these adults (especially those on the spectrum) all live their life completely differently than another and the term becomes more biological than anything.

like...i think i know what you mean, mentally i don't *feel* any different than the curious, hyperactive and lonely mop-haired 14 year old i was not too long ago, but when i look at my life and achievements objectively i see massive change - i've learned to drive and have owned two cars, i've gotten jobs and have had periods of almost complete financial independence, i've traveled internationally on my own and have gone through serious relationships and my creative output has exploded. but i still feel the same!! still...maybe that's all it takes. it's very gradual and since the change/transition is so slow i realize that it is very hard to notice.

i still have a lot of stuffies. my attention span has never been great and i admit one of my favorite shirts has little rubble duckies on it. there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions.

never stop asking questions. maybe take a look at what you've done, changed and accomplished within the last three years, you may be surprised.

what does it mean to be an adult, to you?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 5:08 am

I'm starting to feel a little bit like an adult.

Just a little bit.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 6:41 am

I don't feel like an adult, either, and with good reason, since I haven't achieved anything in Kiprobalhato's list, despite being much older than him. I don't tell people anymore in real life, because they treat me enough like a little boy as it is, and it's a vicious cycle.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2018, 9:48 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it's difficult to tell when you've become an "adult" or not, especially when these adults (especially those on the spectrum) all live their life completely differently than another and the term becomes more biological than anything.

like...i think i know what you mean, mentally i don't *feel* any different than the curious, hyperactive and lonely mop-haired 14 year old i was not too long ago, but when i look at my life and achievements objectively i see massive change - i've learned to drive and have owned two cars, i've gotten jobs and have had periods of almost complete financial independence, i've traveled internationally on my own and have gone through serious relationships and my creative output has exploded. but i still feel the same!! still...maybe that's all it takes. it's very gradual and since the change/transition is so slow i realize that it is very hard to notice.

i still have a lot of stuffies. my attention span has never been great and i admit one of my favorite shirts has little rubble duckies on it. there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions.

never stop asking questions. maybe take a look at what you've done, changed and accomplished within the last three years, you may be surprised.

what does it mean to be an adult, to you?

Im 18 and I have never driven a car. I have never had a job. Travelling internationally seems very scary to me. I have no real idea how relationships work. I just need to learn a bit more about it. Well in the past 3 years I have learned new math skills, I have gotten a bit better at expressing my emotions, I can communicate better and I got an A in ap English.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 8:56 pm

I know guys who are in their mid 40s and are married with kids who wear cartoon shirts.

If you like to play with your younger cousins that just means you'll make a great dad one day.

Don't fall into the trap of trying to look mature. Nothing is more childish than trying to look mature.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 9:00 pm

Feeling like a kid at 18 is pretty normal.

I'm 29 and feel like a child but I basically am I have never lived an adult life.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2018, 6:03 am

Everyone THINKS they have the adult thing worked out but it's merely code for selling out and giving into mundane wage slavery for 40 years. At this point in my life, I have a better chance of turning into Batman than leading a normal life and that's okay