Is there a way that aspies can learn to lower their voices?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm

People tell me all the time I have a loud voice. Could singing help?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 2:09 pm

The most effective way for you to deal with having a loud voice is to shut up.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

orbiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2018, 3:10 pm

I have moments when my voice gets louder when I am getting nearer to the main point that I am wanting to say.
It doesn't happen as much as it used to. If I spoke loudly all of the time I would consider singing or perhaps amateur theatre. I found it interesting how many many people with A.S. can feel at home on a stage, mainly because they have learned to act to fit in and so they have had a lot of practice. I have had to learn to shut up as well. When I do shut up I quite enjoy it. There's something fascinating about being in a crowd and deciding not say say anything.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 4:25 pm

What I find really amazing is the loads of otherwise unavoidable trouble that calmly sipping a generous cup of shut the f**k up saves you.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 4:32 pm

make everyone else wear ear plugs!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 4:37 pm

I don't think I talk loudly, but I think it's funny that a characteristic common to Aspies is saying things to people or asking them questions that offend.

Many many of the things that come to mind, were I to say them out loud to someone, I assume would probably offend them even though that's not my intention. I learned long ago that I get in less trouble if I just keep my mouth shut for that reason.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 4:39 pm

orbiter wrote:
I have moments when my voice gets louder when I am getting nearer to the main point that I am wanting to say.
It doesn't happen as much as it used to. If I spoke loudly all of the time I would consider singing or perhaps amateur theatre. I found it interesting how many many people with A.S. can feel at home on a stage, mainly because they have learned to act to fit in and so they have had a lot of practice. I have had to learn to shut up as well. When I do shut up I quite enjoy it. There's something fascinating about being in a crowd and deciding not say say anything.

Same here. My NT brother hated it and said in an annoying voice "You're piping" when I did this. This angered the sh*t out me.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 10:13 am

Might wanna get your hearing checked.

In my experience the folks who TALK THE LOUDEST are often the same folks who ask others in the room (whom I had no trouble understanding the first time myself) to repeat what they said.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 3:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

In my experience the folks who TALK THE LOUDEST are often the same folks who ask others in the room (whom I had no trouble understanding the first time myself) to repeat what they said.

That could be auditory processing disorder with people like us. I often find that when people say things to me, but I am not expecting them to and am not concentrating on it, that it just comes over as a disordered jumble of noise.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 7:01 pm

That is funny. People are constantly telling me to speak up and I am constantly telling them to stop yelling. :D

Wreck It Ralph

Wolfboy99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2018, 8:25 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That could be auditory processing disorder with people like us. I often find that when people say things to me, but I am not expecting them to and am not concentrating on it, that it just comes over as a disordered jumble of noise.

My wife has to tell me to speak more softly on a regular basis. That said, my hearing is checked every year and I pass that test without issue.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 8:47 pm

I generally talk too loud, if there is a way to stop besides constantly thinking about audio levels, I haven't found it. :lol:

Last edited by RichardJ on 31 Jul 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm

Practice...people telling you when your voice is too loud, correcting it, try not to get frustrated.

I think I'm better at this than I was as a teenager, but still not perfect. It takes YEARS.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 9:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
The most effective way for you to deal with having a loud voice is to shut up.

That's what I do. It's very, very unhealthy =/

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 9:24 pm

It might have to do with how you hear yourself in your head. I hear myself very loud so I tend to speak softly. If you hear yourself softly you may not realize how loudly you are speaking. I don't realize how softly I speak. Singing can definitely help if you learn good classical technique. You have to learn techniques like decrescendo poco a poco. That will give you the control.

Wreck It Ralph

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 9:39 pm

Before my diagnosis I had a habit of talking too loudly, especially when I excited about whatever I was talking about. But after my diagnosis I talk a lot more quietly now. I don't really know why. Maybe because I have less anxiety. When I had a lot more anxiety talking loudly or too much was my way of calming myself. Or maybe I'm deeply mortified by how cringy my "social" behavior was all those years

My brother, on the other hand, has always talked in low, monotone voice and it drives me, my parents and my sister in-law all crazy. :lol: My mom says it's because he's shy.