Whys it have to not be ok to ask if a woman likes you?

Page 9 of 11 [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 9:09 am

sly279 wrote:
It Would seem I’m better off just not dating

I'm afraid you are getting way too many opinions hurled at you. I know that would overwhelm me. I encourage you to continue dating . . . but maybe not putting so much of your experience on WrongPlanet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 12:06 pm

I hope it's going well, Sly.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 6:12 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Oh no! has something gone wrong?

Seems I have to stop carrying and sell all my guns in order to get a relationship or date. That’s not something I’ll ever do.
If this lady wants to have a relationship she’ll just have to accept I own, shoot, like and carry firearms.

Did you get my pm?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 6:13 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I'm afraid you are getting way too many opinions hurled at you. I know that would overwhelm me. I encourage you to continue dating . . . but maybe not putting so much of your experience on WrongPlanet.

The opinions all seem to be the same except one .

I dont know what to do on top of not knowing if she likes me :(

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 6:18 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Good on you for getting a text from her.

Totally aside from the issue of carrying or not, don't take her for a walk on a dark secluded path at night. Why? This kind of thing makes most women nervous, not saying she was afraid of YOU but it's just that we are hard wired to be uncomfortable in situations like that.

So stick to a public venue, well lighted and traveled, if you are walking at night together. You want her to feel comfortable and safe around you.

We’re going walk inside the mall but noticed the path by the river. It was dusk? Around sunset I guess. She could said no and it would been fine.
Path has spaced out lights and went along some restaurants and apartments etc

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 6:53 pm

AngelRho wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Frankly brining a gun along to a date is disturbingly weird and scary , and it could be very much a dealbreaker.
Never heard of the date crimes in the news? A gun makes you very powerful, theortically you can take her life in a second; she still doesn’t know your character well.

How the hell you didn’t envision this would frighten the hell of her (if she finds out at least)? Sly, seriously, no one brings a gun to a date.

You don't know American culture that well. The right to have weapons is Constitutionally guaranteed. Whether it's allowed to be brought into government buildings or private businesses is up to local and federal laws or business owners, but there are actually more rules concerning the proper way to keep guns out than there are procuring them.

I don't personally own a handgun, but that's just a matter of money and priorities. In Mississippi, as an example, guns are relatively cheap and easy to buy. The way our state concealed-carry law is worded, the licensing agency "SHALL grant" a license to anyone who applies. Not "review and make a decision whether to grant" but "SHALL GRANT."

There's nothing wrong with well-intentioned people carrying weapons. Not even on dates. People with criminal and violent tendencies are going to harm others at will without regard to any regulatory law. The kind of person who is open about the fact he HAS a gun and exposes himself is not the kind of person looking for trouble. We like to keep our guns close. We do NOT like to use them. We're not out looking for trouble. It's just that trouble will find us. Someone in sly's situation really DOES need to keep a weapon handy because people like sly are especially vulnerable and very close to people looking to cause harm.

Thanks

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 7:43 pm

Seems like she likes you at least somewhat.

I don’t feel it’s creepy to walk with her around that promenade. If she doesn’t want to do it, then that’s another story.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 8:06 pm

sly279 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Good on you for getting a text from her.

Totally aside from the issue of carrying or not, don't take her for a walk on a dark secluded path at night. Why? This kind of thing makes most women nervous, not saying she was afraid of YOU but it's just that we are hard wired to be uncomfortable in situations like that.

So stick to a public venue, well lighted and traveled, if you are walking at night together. You want her to feel comfortable and safe around you.

We’re going walk inside the mall but noticed the path by the river. It was dusk? Around sunset I guess. She could said no and it would been fine.
Path has spaced out lights and went along some restaurants and apartments etc

Sounds like a nice romantic place and time for a walk.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm

Peacesells wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
People with criminal and violent tendencies are going to harm others at will without regard to any regulatory law. The kind of person who is open about the fact he HAS a gun and exposes himself is not the kind of person looking for trouble.

So even if everybody carries guns and is allowed to do so openly, people with bad intentions will not do it openly because they are evil, like in a bad thriller movie. I guess they'll probably get their guns illegally too because it's more evil, even if they could buy one at the grocery store in front of their house.

Also lol if she wanted him to take off his shirt. :lol:

Ummm...who said anything about evil?

My point is that people with bad intentions aren’t concerned with what the law says. People who plan on killing someone or has a history of violence, or people who have criminal records who aren’t allowed (legally) to buy guns will get weapons, even guns, if they really want weapons badly enough.

Concealed carry, on the other hand, is merely a recognition that individuals LEGALLY possess firearms. If someone is caught with a firearm who is NOT licensed, they get jail time (if you’re innocent of any crime, why would you NOT register? Gun advocates might answer that a different way, but it’s pointless when one has nothing to hide).

A gun owner with a permit, if confronted by police, simply has to keep his hands in sight, alert police that he has a permit, and ask the officer to take his gun if necessary. If you’ve committed no crime and aren’t acting suspiciously, most likely they’ll let you go. Reach for your gun while a gun is pointed at you, and it might well be the last thing you ever reach for.

I recently heard about a guy who shot an intruder. What he did was well within his rights. Sadly there was some confusion and he ended up killed by a police officer. There is nothing “wrong” or illegal about keeping a weapon handy. Just be careful out there. “He who lives by the sword dies by the sword.” There is only just so much faith you can place in a weapon.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 4:53 am

sly279 wrote:
Seems I have to stop carrying and sell all my guns in order to get a relationship or date. That’s not something I’ll ever do.
If this lady wants to have a relationship she’ll just have to accept I own, shoot, like and carry firearms.

Did you get my pm?

Obviously, none here has ever said such a thing. Stop playing the victim please.
AngelRho wrote:

My point is that people with bad intentions aren’t concerned with what the law says. People who plan on killing someone or has a history of violence, or people who have criminal records who aren’t allowed (legally) to buy guns will get weapons, even guns, if they really want weapons badly enough.

Concealed carry, on the other hand, is merely a recognition that individuals LEGALLY possess firearms. If someone is caught with a firearm who is NOT licensed, they get jail time (if you’re innocent of any crime, why would you NOT register? Gun advocates might answer that a different way, but it’s pointless when one has nothing to hide).

A gun owner with a permit, if confronted by police, simply has to keep his hands in sight, alert police that he has a permit, and ask the officer to take his gun if necessary. If you’ve committed no crime and aren’t acting suspiciously, most likely they’ll let you go. Reach for your gun while a gun is pointed at you, and it might well be the last thing you ever reach for.

I recently heard about a guy who shot an intruder. What he did was well within his rights. Sadly there was some confusion and he ended up killed by a police officer. There is nothing “wrong” or illegal about keeping a weapon handy. Just be careful out there. “He who lives by the sword dies by the sword.” There is only just so much faith you can place in a weapon.

What you say makes absolutely no sense and seems like I have to repeat myself. Just because someone has bad intentions it doesn't mean that they will hide their weapon, act suspicious or acquire their weapons illegally. In fact that would be extremely stupid and a person with some brains will try to avoid acting strange until they must do the misdeed or it's necessary. Just because someone can legally carry it doesn't mean that they can't have bad intentions.
Also just because something is within your rights it doesn't mean that it will help you in a date. It is well within my rights to only speak to my date in Mandarin Chinese, but chances are she won't like it very much.
What people are saying here is that carrying a weapon to your date might scare the other person off if they ever find out. We don't know her, and she doesn't know Sly so well.
Given that I assume he met her on OKCupid, I wonder if he checked out her profile question because maybe there's something about it.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 5:07 am

sly279 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Oh no! has something gone wrong?

Don't worry about the gun thing, different places have completely different attitudes. If your still worried (even after my brilliant advice), see what your mum and sister think of you wearing it on your dates.
Quote:
Did you get my pm?
Yes, sorry, but you'd be surprised how difficult a question it is to answer. I will have a think, look out for the smoke :D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 1:05 am

Peacesells wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Did you get my pm?

Obviously, none here has ever said such a thing. Stop playing the victim please.
AngelRho wrote:

What you say makes absolutely no sense and seems like I have to repeat myself. Just because someone has bad intentions it doesn't mean that they will hide their weapon, act suspicious or acquire their weapons illegally. In fact that would be extremely stupid and a person with some brains will try to avoid acting strange until they must do the misdeed or it's necessary. Just because someone can legally carry it doesn't mean that they can't have bad intentions.
Also just because something is within your rights it doesn't mean that it will help you in a date. It is well within my rights to only speak to my date in Mandarin Chinese, but chances are she won't like it very much.
What people are saying here is that carrying a weapon to your date might scare the other person off if they ever find out. We don't know her, and she doesn't know Sly so well.
Given that I assume he met her on OKCupid, I wonder if he checked out her profile question because maybe there's something about it.

Honestly, WP is the forum with the most illogical posts I have ever seen, I no longer believe that AS and logic are necessarily positively correlated.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 5:05 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Did you get my pm?

AngelRho wrote:

Honestly, WP is the forum with the most illogical posts I have ever seen, I no longer believe that AS and logic are necessarily positively correlated.

AS and logic are NOT necessarily correlated. There is, however, a tendency to tightly organize thought. This is great for mathematical and scientific disciplines requiring strict empiricism. When it comes to philosophy, psychology, human relations, etc., a more nuanced strategy is needed.

Love and dating is a complex area and largely emotionally-driven. It’s not enough to say you shouldn’t carry a gun on a date. There are just too many assumptions. So you need to break it down issue by issue.

Is it legal to carry a concealed weapon? Yes. Can dating within a dangerous area necessitate carrying protection? Yes. Might a date feel uncomfortable knowing you carry a weapon? Possibly. Does concealed-carry mean you HAVE to reveal to your maybe-uncomfortable date you have a weapon? No. It’s CONCEALED. Nobody needs to know that unless a police officer asks, and you need not volunteer that information before a police officer asks. “What if she asks you to take off your shirt?” So freaking what? If it’s coming down to that, she likely won’t care. If she does care, then maybe you’re not compatible. And if you have doubts, simply come up with a possible game plan that allows you to move the gun without it being noticed, like, say, excuse yourself to the bathroom, put the gun in a pants pocket, and proceed. This is not a difficult issue. If you’re in a relationship and it hasn’t gotten that far, she knows you aren’t psychotic and that she can trust you. So you say something like: “Hey, I’ve really enjoyed being with you. I care about you and hope we can be together a long time. But we have to be completely open and honest with each other. I have to travel through a dangerous area, so I keep a gun for protection. If I had to protect you or myself, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it, but I hope I never have to. I don’t know if that’s a big deal to you or not. I just wanted you to know because I worried it might be a dealbreaker, and you deserve to know the truth.” She might break up with you. I’d just rather be with someone who could accept me without having to hide anything. But it’s also perfectly ok to keep things like guns strictly need-to-know. It’s a personal choice that you have to make what you think is the best decision.

I find it amusing I can write something that is true and the best peacesells can come up with to lead off is “This makes no sense.” I’ve seen him do this many times with myself and others. It’s like “this makes no sense” is somehow supposed to magically render a good point invalid. I guess one way to make yourself seem erudite is say “This makes no sense,” proceed with an argument that isn’t really all that relevant to what you’re responding to, flavor with a dash of straw man, garnish with red herring, and insist on getting the last word.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 5:37 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I find it amusing I can write something that is true and the best peacesells can come up with to lead off is “This makes no sense.” I’ve seen him do this many times with myself and others. It’s like “this makes no sense” is somehow supposed to magically render a good point invalid. I guess one way to make yourself seem erudite is say “This makes no sense,” proceed with an argument that isn’t really all that relevant to what you’re responding to, flavor with a dash of straw man, garnish with red herring, and insist on getting the last word.

Maybe next time try to write things that make some sense instead of saying something utterly illogical and wasting people's time. Perhaps you haven't noticed that I don't just simply use ad hominems like some idiots, but I tend to elaborate on my argumentations. Your portrayal of my response is completely fallacious and belittling.
My goal here was to make Sly aware of a POSSIBLE reaction of the girl to his decision to take firearms to a date, which is not really unrealistic and can totally happen. Some women have said in this same thread that they'd not be comfortable with it, so I am not inventing things.
Another illogicity is that according to you guys it's completely normal to be paranoid about going to the mall unarmed but on the other hand it's completely fine for a stranger to be alone on a date with you while you carry guns.

Oh and last advice, if you get a date don't take them to Kabul or something. I thought it'd be obvious but I am not so sure anymore.

PS: Sly is the one concealing his gun under his shirt and hugging people, so give me a break.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 2:46 pm

You know what a gun feels lik? How do you know it’s not my phone or flashlight or something else? I suspect most gun people wouldn’t even know it by hugging. All you’d feel is something non body pressed up against you. I carry a bunch of things on my belt like most guys do.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 2:59 pm

sly279 wrote:
You know what a gun feels lik? How do you know it’s not my phone or flashlight or something else? I suspect most gun people wouldn’t even know it by hugging. All you’d feel is something non body pressed up against you. I carry a bunch of things on my belt like most guys do.

I am never around guns, but my guess is that people there in war-zones might know better. You are the one who said before that she only might have noticed when you hugged, so you admitted the possibility yourself.

Do people carry things on their belts there? Like?