Do NTs Perceive You as Intellectually Disabled?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 12:49 pm

NTs think I'm ret*d until they find out that I have a four year degree. Then they think I can't possibly have any struggles because I'm so smart. After I spent a few days in a psych ward, people thought I was crazy, mentally unstable, and couldn't handle anything on my own.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 12:51 pm

I have been very cautious where or when I disclose being on the Spectrum.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:09 pm

Most people don't know what it means when you say you have an ASD because they are nit familiar with ASDs and the needs of every person with an ASD are unique. If you are going to tell someone you have an ASD, you should specify what that entails with respect to your interactions with them.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 10:19 pm

When I was in junior high school, I would get insulted by NT bullies that tried to call me stupid/moron/idiot. It was a power move to put me down in the social ladder, even though I was at the bottom already. They soon learned how wrong they were in doing that, as I would let my creativity be unlocked in revenge tactics (one of my specialties). They stopped calling me those names when I destroyed the biology exam curves, leading some of them to flunk the class. Unfortunately, they still continued with the physical attacks....

Currently, the answer would be a strong no. NTs do not understand me since I am not into social things that they live for. I am much like the invisible man to them, they can see the outside bandages (masks) but not the real person. However, they can usually perceive that I am playing with much more cards in my mental deck than what they normally play with. They usually seek me out if they need to get technical input on something that they struggle with.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 11:15 pm

Someone's guess of your IQ score is either greater than, equal to, or less than your IQ score

However a disproportionate number of precious lil "people" act like my IQ score is much lower than the psychologist told me it was

But none of the precious lil "people" worked on the Rejection Committee at Harvard Medical School.

So wtf ever

There actions and statements are annoying but they have a legal right to be annoying and I can't do nothing about it

:D

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 8:44 am

Intellectually disabled ... maybe not. Intellectually inferior however, well that's another story. Many people will often times think that I'm stupid if I mention that I'm autistic and for the ones who are less aware they will often times say "well you don't seem/act autistic" which again seems to me like they look at me as being more intellectually inferior then intellectually disabled.