Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 11:57 am

I went to a group meeting for adults with HFA the other day. I had never been to one before. I have to say, I was pretty terrified before I went in. It's one thing posting on this forum, but I can never tell if people secretly don't want me around when they get "stuck" with me in real life. I worry about that a lot actually, all the time. It was really nice though. We went around in a circle and introduced ourselves. Some people went on long tangents, but no one seemed to mind. It felt assuring, and judgement free. There was a lot made over my education level, mostly positive. Some people stimmed, which made me feel comfortable, like I didn't feel like I didn't have to hide these parts of myself like I've learned to do over the years. Still, I wasn't quite comfortable enough to behave like I do when I'm at home, so I mostly sat still. I made a couple jokes that were well received. I met other people in similar lines of work as me. We watched a movie and talked about it afterwards. We had nice snacks. Everyone else had dietary restrictions, just like me, so there were many well-labeled options available. In the end, a bunch of people welcomed me, and one person even gave me a big hug at the end.

I liked this group of people. I think I'll go back. It's too bad it's only once a month though.

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2018, 2:06 pm

I like support groups too. For me is interesting observe, how everyone is different. Some could be described as my opposite.
Fortunately, nobody hugs me there

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 9:09 pm

I wish there was a group like that in the place that I live, but there isn't.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 9:30 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

You could start one.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 10:03 am

Fern wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

You could start one.
I think it would take a lot of organising.

I don't think I would be able to organise something like that where I am.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm

You can keep it simple. You can even just put an add in like craigslist or meetup or something and just meet in a park outside and everyone can bring their own snacks. And whomever comes just introduce yourselves and maybe bring a list of topics that could be conversation starters. You can even use some ideas from threads from here. It does not have to be a big complicated thing.

Wreck It Ralph

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 12:51 am

skibum wrote:
You can keep it simple. You can even just put an add in like craigslist or meetup or something and just meet in a park outside and everyone can bring their own snacks. And whomever comes just introduce yourselves and maybe bring a list of topics that could be conversation starters. You can even use some ideas from threads from here. It does not have to be a big complicated thing.

Good ideas!