Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 8:09 pm

Anyone else? This game feels like a step backwards from Fallout 3 and especially New Vegas that had far superior locations and characters/writing.

What gives?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 10:14 am

Fallout 3 sucked. It had dull characters, dull locations, dull map, terrible combat system. It is so overrated.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 10:43 am

I like Fallout 4. I played it basically to the end a few times. The only thing I dislike is that in order to complete the game, you essentially have to kill off many of the factions that you aligned with and became friends with in the game. That is against my nature.

I like the fact that you can remove the mods from several weapons and combine the best ones to create a very powerful weapon. I also enhance my luck from the get-go and minimize my intelligence. That opens the options quite a bit at the beginning of the game. If you cannot pick locks, you can find a companion that can do it quite well. If you cannot access a terminal, there is a companion that can. I like the 3 dimensional aspect of the game. There are some regions within the game that are almost impossible to find. They are buried so, so deep. Also the idea of creating and enhancing settlements is well done.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 4:26 pm

Noca wrote:
Fallout 3 sucked. It had dull characters, dull locations, dull map, terrible combat system. It is so overrated.

I always thought the characters were pretty interesting. Character's like 'three dog' at the radio station, the super mutant locked in a vault who had retained his mind and logic/intelligence after mutating, Moira Brown in Megaton and so forth.

I haven't met a single memorable character in Fallout 4. I also preferred the locations of Fallout 3. Each to their own, I suppose.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 5:35 pm

Hmmm! In Fallout 4, there is Virgil. He is a scientist who was turned into a Super Mutant. He is smart and intelligent but looks like a super mutant to everyone else. And he is trying to get turned back to looking like a human again. To find him you must go off the map.

And then there is Strong, who is a Super Mutant with a heart. He learned a little Shakespeare. He takes things literally (like an Aspie) and is on a quest to "find the milk of human kindness". If you rescue him, he can become your companion and because he is strong, he can carry a lot for you on your journey.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 9:25 pm

Definitely disappointed. It's not a bad game but it's nothing compared to its predecessor, which in turn is arguably nothing compared to its own. Bethesda aren't masters at developing new, intriguing ways to keep games fresh and in line with modern design principles. The companion system is interesting, but why they had to sacrifice the karma system and all the best RPG elements for this is just beyond me. The ending, like pretty much all Bethesda games, was also gratingly poor.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 5:59 am

It's main problem is it's repetition. Over 90% of the enemies are ghouls, raiders or supermutants. And wherever they were at there were dozens of them, so it got boring and frustrating fast. The giant creatures are also the only enemies to really be afraid of. I liked the genuine fear of encounters in New Vegas, in particular the deathclaws. Wow, they really weakened the hell out of those things didn't they?

It's a decent game, but a bad Fallout game.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 5:14 am

I've never been impressed by Bethesda's games. I did buy New Vegas though, and one of these days I'll finish Fallout 2 so I can play it @_@

...I need to play Wasteland 2, also...

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2018, 8:37 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've never been impressed by Bethesda's games. I did buy New Vegas though, and one of these days I'll finish Fallout 2 so I can play it @_@

...I need to play Wasteland 2, also...
The problem with Bethesda games is that they really don't think to change much, not in the right direction anyway. They seem to be intent on making each game progressively more bland and increasingly alike to your very run of the mill FPS or slasher, and sacrifice the only decent RPG elements that gradually end up being chipped away each game. Dialogue options, perk points and such all become a thing of the past but I don't understand why they think this is a good idea. Nobody asked for this. It doesn't help that all of the stories are painfully boring as well.

As for Wasteland 2, it's a pretty good game (I think it's the sequel to the predecessor of Fallout) but it's also pretty damn hard, even on it's easy difficulty. I'd say it's mostly focused toward hardcore gamers exclusively so if you identify in that way, it could be fun.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm

Mythos wrote:
As for Wasteland 2, it's a pretty good game (I think it's the sequel to the predecessor of Fallout)...

Yes, it is. Fallout is a good game, but for some reason, I kind of liked Wasteland better.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 12:09 am

Maybe with Fallout 3 you had less experience with tropes and the like, and when Fallout 4 came out you knew the sort of things more, so you thought that it was worse? If you think that there are empty space with little involved story in Fallout 4, then I recommend the Oxhorn YouTube channel, it is more recent that he has been going into Fallout 3 and NV, and even doing some of the original games, but he has a huge amount of lore videos for Fallout 4 for locations and characters. A lot with them being pretty involved, with bits of story needing to be sought out, and connecting different things. His recent video on Deacon is an hour long, and actually a huge amount of writing attached to the character.

If there is a location in Fallout 4, check out an Oxhorn video, and you may find out that you were not actually paying attention to a lot of interesting plot threads.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 12:55 pm

I tried playing Fallout New Vegas again and yeah I have never had a game lag or crash as many times as that. In fact it froze more than every other video game I have played combined. Certain areas of the game were simply no go as it would freeze every 10 seconds. Modding it didnt fix that either, so in my opinion the game is trash if it is unplayable.

I wish the Fallout 76 would have been single player rather than mulitplayer but oh well. I will still buy it anyway.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 1:41 pm

On Fallout 4, I have observed very few crashes. Also since I generally save the game often, if it crashes, I have not lost much. The game is patched quite often. In my book that means that the game is still supported. It was released on November 10, 2015. I have noticed that some games seem to drop their support shortly after the game is released. The programmers simply move onto the next project. The update patches to the game on PS4 appear automatically and are updated seamlessly through the internet.

After playing the game a few times (to the end), I decided to up my game and played it two notches up in the "very hard" game difficulty level. I am fairly far along on this difficulty level. I get killed far more often which means that I save my gameplay much more often. But I am moving right along in the game.

This is such a large world with many intricacies, that it keeps me playing.

Prudolph
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2018, 2:01 pm

I was a bit disappointed, it's still a good game imo, but I was expecting more from it. I hope the Elder Scrolls VI doesn't disappoint!

AQ-49 of 50
EQ-7 of 60
RDOS:
Neurodiverse (Aspie) score is 183 of 200.
Neurotypical (Non-autistic) score is 31 of 200

INTJ-T Personality type

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2018, 11:50 pm

I mean Fallout 4 might have some good gameplay, but you lose all of the good writing of New Vegas and earlier. I'd rather janky gameplay and good writing than the other way around.

Jake6238
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

It occurred to me the other day that part of the problem with FO4 is the story. Boiled down it's: Guys family gets kidnapped/deaded, Guy goes on rampage till he finds surviving family,*insert plot twist*, Guy goes on living in some way. Not exactly original.

Probably off challenging as many social norms in as little time as possible