Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Jul 2018, 3:09 pm

Say, has anyone been able to get ahold of either the NES or SNES Classic Edition (Mini)?

I must say, despite the fact that it's nigh-difficult to get one, I like both of them, because they really bring back fond memories of my kiddie days. :D

I'd like to know what your reviews are for this sysetm. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 10:47 am

They're on my wish list. Especially NES. NES is supposed to be back in stores this summer or there abouts.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 10:53 am

No, I've never seen one available for purchase at a reasonable price.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2018, 11:08 am

I don't own either, but I've heard a lot of other people share their thoughts on them. Here's what I've gathered (this all goes for both of them):

+Game selection is good. SNES is missing Chrono Trigger, but other than that it's a solid bunch of games.

+Emulation couldn't be better; the colors are brighter and pop more compared to the Virtual Console versions.

+All games have save states so less-skilled players can still enjoy them.

+Presentation is very nice; the main menus have great music and are neatly designed.

+Other controllers are compatible, such as the Classic Controller from the Wii era.

-The cords on the primary controllers are short. You either have to sit very close to the TV or have the console sitting right next to you.

-The only way to return to the main menu is to press the reset button on the console. This is also how you make a save state.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 11:36 am

UPDATE: Since I posted this, I've acquired my NES and SNES Classic Edition consoles. Yay! :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 3:31 pm

How do you like it?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:20 am

^ Plays pretty well. Just like gold times. :D

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:29 am

Last year I bought a SNES Classic on ebay. It's pretty good but my attempts to make it display on the car's centre-console display have been unsuccessful.

I love the scanline display mode and I hate that it doesn't have cordless controllers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 5:18 am

I've thought about it, but I still play my originals on a CRT, so it would just be wasted money for me.

...I might put that money towards an Everdrive for SNES this Black Friday... :oops:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 10:42 am

equestriatola wrote:
Say, has anyone been able to get ahold of either the NES or SNES Classic Edition (Mini)?

Yes, I got them yesterday!! :D I have only had time to play NES so far, and I'm already having so much fun playing these good old games! The whole family has been reminiscing while I and my father has been playing. I still think these games were among the very best and far better than most new games.

I am very glad Nintendo decided to make more of them, I was really bummed out over missing out on the NES first time around.

So far I've played Pacman, SMB 1 and 2, Zelda, Ice Climber, and there is still so much more to play in them, and so much more to play on the box. I am very happy with this little box of joy, and will no doubt enjoy SNES equally much.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2018, 6:38 pm

equestriatola wrote:

I must say, despite the fact that it's nigh-difficult to get one, I like both of them, because they really bring back fond memories of my kiddie days. :D

I'd like to know what your reviews are for this sysetm. :D

I have them both and generally love them. There are most of my old favorites and some interesting games that I never would have tried back then but are good and I'm liking now. Zelda, Zelda 3, FF Part 1, Super Mario 1,2,3 and Super Mario World are all there of course, Castle Vanya 1,2, and 4 (No three though, and I wondered about that--it was my favorite of those 4), Super Mario Cart, Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong Sr and Jr, even a very arcade accurate version of Pac Man. And of course Metroid and Super Metroid.

No TMNT in the NES classic though. I wonder why not.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2018, 7:17 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Last year I bought a SNES Classic on ebay. It's pretty good but my attempts to make it display on the car's centre-console display have been unsuccessful.

I love the scanline display mode and I hate that it doesn't have cordless controllers.

Cordless controllers exist for both. If you have Bust Buy stores in Australia that's one place to get them.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

One thing that made me mad was when the NES classic first hit the stores, they sent out small numbers of them which were snatched up by scalpers, some of whom waited hours in line at 4AM to get them. They then tried to sell them at comic cons and online in the $300+ range. I like my NES classic, but its not worth $300. I saw the same scalper stuck with his NES classic at three different cons and am tickled pink that he was probably unable to scalp the thing. I hate scalpers. He should have just let some retro gaming fan buy the thing.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2018, 11:32 pm

They're both readily available at any store here, you can just walk in and buy them.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 5:22 am

mrspock wrote:
...a very arcade accurate version of Pac Man.

It's actually not as accurate as it looks. It doesn't have the same "safe zones" as arcade, and once you get to a certain point, there's this glitch where, at the level start, the ghosts all run to their bases, but they stay there for far too long. This level repeats forever.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 6:00 am

mrspock wrote:
No TMNT in the NES classic though. I wonder why not.

Yes, I also missed TMNT in it. At least one TMNT game should have been there, either the first or the arcade game.

But other than that, lots of good games! I've been binge playing the SMB games since getting my mini NES.