Do you ever get second-hand embarassment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2018, 10:55 pm

I hate watching people do/say embarrassing things, even when they themselves are not embarrassed. I always cover my eyes and wish that it ends for their sake. I've never been able to watch shows were people do weird things in public (not that I have much of a desire to).

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

Yep. I know I would be very embarrassed if I did whatever embarrassing thing the person did .

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 10:19 am

I used to, mostly when others did things my parents had taught me not to. Now I get firsthand embarrassment, because I realize their behavior is normal and healthy, while my avoidance of it is not and gives me away as mentally diseased. And my parents agree.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 11:33 am

If I'm with a person who unintentionally did something embarrassing, I feel embarrassed for them. If it's a stranger, I just get anxious about how embarrassed they might be feeling and so I try not to stare or do anything to embarrass them further.

However, if somebody is intentionally embarrassing themselves but don't care, I don't get embarrassed. Most people do if they are with somebody who is showing themselves up. But I just think that it's them who's drawing attention to themselves, not me. If I just act calm and casual, then they know that I'm not the one embarrassing myself. If I start to swear or snap at them, then I'd be showing myself up too, because it'd most probably turn into an argument. So I don't argue or swear or rant, etc. I just stay cool and calm.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 1:02 pm

When someone does something considered weird, I worry that they'll be criticized by other people.