PBS 50th Anniversary Woodstock Documentary

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 4:14 pm

PBS Announces Woodstock Documentary Honouring Festival’s 50th Anniversary

Quote:
Directed by Barak Goodman, who’s best known for known for his previous documentaries Scottsboro: An American Tragedy (2000) and Oklahoma City (2017), the two-hour film will explore the events that culminated in the historic concert.

The Woodstock documentary will be part of PBS’ American Experience series, which has been on the air for 30 years and past films have included That Rhythm, Those Blues and Summer Of Love.

“Unlike Michael Wadleigh’s classic 1970 documentary, our film turns the cameras around, into the audience”, said American Experience executive producer Mark Samels.

“By focusing on individuals – from concert goers to security guards to performers to local residents – Woodstock expands our understanding of the event as not only an unparalleled musical milestone, but a once-in-a-century cultural phenomena that served as a coda to the sixties and a harbinger of the decades to come.”

Director Barak Goodman added, “For three days in August, 1969, the values of ‘peace and love,’ loudly championed by the counter-culture movement, were actually put to the test in the miserable conditions at Woodstock. The 500,000 people who attended the festival proved that they were more than just words. For a surprising number of people, that brief encounter with sacrifice, cooperation and generosity changed their lives. I think Woodstock continues to inspire because the grace demonstrated there was real and enduring.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman