Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 12:36 am

I was talking with my sister yesterday who is 10 years older than me. We were talking and then we went into talking about me at about 2-3 years old. She told me that my speech was delayed. I would say words but couldn’t really put a sentence together only in my own language. I thought that was normal. She said not that way it wasn’t. I do remember regularly seeing a speech therapist from the age of 4-7.

Reason we brought this up was because of my nephew. He has recently been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD. We were talking about how his speech developed very quickly at the normal age.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 1:18 am

The definer between Aspergers autism and Classic autism is classic autism involves speech delay. Moreover with the Aspergers kind there can be advanced speech development.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 9:19 am

I had no speech until age 5 1/2. I had extensive speech therapy. I had some after 5 1/2---but not much.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 11:28 am

From what I was told it sounds like I may be of the classic kind even though I was diagnosed as Aspergers. Probably because my parents didn’t mention speech delays.

I do remember speaking in my own language and all of a sudden speaking properly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:11 am

Well except for the speech delay factor high functioning autism is pretty much the same thing for adults, whether they call it aspergers or classic. Which is pretty much why they dumped the Aspergers term. When I was little my cousin was the only one who could understand my language.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2018, 7:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had no speech until age 5 1/2. I had extensive speech therapy. I had some after 5 1/2---but not much.

Are you verbal now just curious?

My daughter is non-verbal or still has no communication with others except self talk. She’s five and I am wondering if she’ll ever talk fine. Or if I need to get her to learn communicating in sign Lang. She’s ADHD as well as on the spectrum.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2018, 7:47 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
I do remember speaking in my own language and all of a sudden speaking properly.

And what age did you start speaking actual talk. My child is five and still doesn’t understand concept of speech to communicate. She talks to her toys and herself.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 8:01 am

Pjscrab wrote:

And what age did you start speaking actual talk. My child is five and still doesn’t understand concept of speech to communicate. She talks to her toys and herself.

I was 8 before I started saying things, either to ask for something or respond to a question. Although just single one syllable words. To this day I still don't talk in a conversational way. But I get by alright.

Even though I didn't talk, I understood what was being said perfectly well. Although I didn't give any outward indication of that.

I never learned sign language, but I gesture. Nod my head for yes, shake it for no, shrug, face-palm. Stuff like that. I get the message across.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 9:33 am

I'm totally verbal nowadays.

By "self-talk," do you mean that she says words to herself, or that maybe she tells whole stories using words? If so, there's a chance she might acquire social speech. What do her therapists say?

Lovely_A
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2018, 11:50 am

Apparently I spoke around the normal age, according to my mother a little before that. But I was still in speech therapy until about 6-7 years old. When I spoke it was hard for people to understand me. Now I speak clearly.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2018, 11:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm totally verbal nowadays.

By "self-talk," do you mean that she says words to herself, or that maybe she tells whole stories using words? If so, there's a chance she might acquire social speech. What do her therapists say?

She started talking to herself in full sentences at 3 years of age. Right she talks to herself. Describes loudly what’s going on around her in full sentences. Communicates a lil only with close family members but she’s way below her age with her vocabulary(atleast the vocab that she uses to speak to her therapists). Only talks when she needs something. She doesn’t respond to questions all the time. Although she understands everything that is said to her. She follows instructions fine.

Her therapists only respond to her when she talks so as to encourage her social speech. Which I am hoping she’ll pick up soon.

She has very good memory though. Remembers things that were taught to her years ago. If I ask her what something that she hasn’t played with in years is - she remembers playing with it as a baby. Says she played with it as a baby.

Last edited by Pjscrab on 03 Aug 2018, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2018, 11:46 am

I suspect I am on the spectrum too and I started speaking very early at 7 months and by 1 year I was putting two words together. Was making 3 word sentences by 1 and a 1/2. Started making full blown conversations with everyone by 2 years of age.