Learning how to date or be in a relationship

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 5:48 pm

Dating and just being in romantic relationships require a lot of social skills and social knowledge. It really can be quite complex. How did you all figure this stuff out?

I’m thinking we’re probably easy targets for manipulators because we might lack this almost intuitive knowledge that some people seem to have about other people.

I’m guessing a lot of people learn this sort of stuff in high school, but I was homeschooled.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 6:48 pm

[opinion=mine]

Some of it is learned by example, mostly from our parents. So if your parents are kind, good, and loving toward each other, you will likely behave the same toward others.

Some of it is learned by socialization, mostly from classmates and other peers. So if all of your friends are kind, good, and loving toward each other, you will likely behave the same toward others.

The rest is learned through trial-and-error. So if all of your "dates" are kind, good, and loving, you will likely find someone who is the perfect lifemate.

[/opinion]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 6:51 pm

Step 1 -- Get yourself into a situation in which you actually have any business dating. In particular, become independent.

I'm stuck there. My peers did date before. When I realized not just that they did, but also that it was a completely normal and accepted part of their lives, I asked my parents for permission and a few more things I needed (my previous lifestyle had no legitimately place for basically anything but studying and what they told me to do, so I'd have to start from scratch establishing the guidelines for and habits of going out and doing any other activity of interest), to no avail. Asking them now would be ridiculous and futile, even if they granted my request, so that window is closed for good.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Last edited by Spiderpig on 01 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

Step 1 -- Get yourself into a situation in which you actually have any business dating. In particular, become independent.

Step 2 -- Look in the mirror. What you see is what you get. Keep your standards simple -- expect nothing more than what you have to offer. Few things are as frustrating and discouraging as setting your sights on a relationship with someone who is far more attractive than you could ever even hope to be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 6:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
[opinion=mine]

Some of it is learned by example, mostly from our parents. So if your parents are kind, good, and loving toward each other, you will likely behave the same toward others.

Some of it is learned by socialization, mostly from classmates and other peers. So if all of your friends are kind, good, and loving toward each other, you will likely behave the same toward others.

The rest is learned through trial-and-error. So if all of your "dates" are kind, good, and loving, you will likely find someone who is the perfect lifemate.

[/opinion]

Oh dear!

My parents were horrible to each other. Lol

My mom is over the top and dad doesn’t want to cause trouble, so he puts up with a lot. I think I take after him.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 6:58 pm

Fnord wrote:

Step 2 -- Look in the mirror. What you see is what you get. Keep your standards simple -- expect nothing more than what you have to offer. Few things are as frustrating and discouraging as setting your sights on a relationship with someone who is far more attractive than you could ever even hope to be.

I’m not really looking to date. Im just troubleshooting past relationships.

I’ve realized I was completely clueless about relationships and how they’re supposed to work.

I never had particularly high standards, though.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm

NT's spent years figuring it out. They began in Junior High School. It doesn't happen overnight. Much of it is by trial and error. But in order to learn by trial and error, you must first try, fail and try again. It can produce many heartaches along the way. But then one day you may meet someone and it will just click.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 7:06 pm

Fnord wrote:

Are you saying I’m unattractive?? LOL

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 7:42 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Are you saying I’m unattractive?? LOL
No. What I posted was directed at no one in particular.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:21 pm

I was just extra clueless about abusive behavior. It might be partly due to an ultra conservative/cult upbringing.

Most people are better at knowing when enough is enough.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:25 pm

Trial and error. Lots and lots of error.

And I used to ask my Internet friends for advice.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m guessing a lot of people learn this sort of stuff in high school, but I was homeschooled.

I was a late bloomer, so almost all of my girlfriends were after high school.

They do say that homeschooled kids, in general, have more difficulty fitting in socially, though.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:28 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Trial and error. Lots and lots of error.

And I used to ask my Internet friends for advice.

Twilightprincess wrote:

I was a late bloomer, so almost all of my girlfriends were after high school.

They do say that homeschooled kids, in general, have more difficulty fitting in socially, though.

I worry about trial and error, though. Through trying, a person can end up in a really lousy situation.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm

Twilight Princess, you are very pretty...
And have a catchy smile.....

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:38 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Twilight Princess, you are very pretty...
And have a catchy smile.....

Thanks!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

I seek women who are straightforward, and usually fairly conservative in how they conduct themselves (though they can, of course, be liberal in politics).

I don't like women who like to argue for the sake of argument.

I don't like women who enjoy playing games with your head. I can tell these a mile away.

I don't mind it, at all, if a woman is a little "nerdy." I've had a crush on a few librarians in my time. Much better than somebody who likes to hit the clubs....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

Twilight looks, to me, like a "natural" woman. An Ivory Girl, really.