Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ShiningStar25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2018, 2:25 pm

Hi so I have been recently talking with my therapist and I dunno I know im not a doctor but at the same time I want to know what everyone else thinks besides neurotypicals (they’re never any help unless its by using it as an insult at me). I was diagnosed with aspergers last year and was completely shocked! However it doesn’t explain my mood swings? I’ve been shown a complete chart and told my anger is more in the autism range which I understand I am in my 20s and have meltdowns! Buuuuut my mood swings are within days? Like It depends on my mood swings because at times I cant even stand to talk to people during those days or I go off on them. I do have an addiction with spending my money on my high days but my low days I feel so terribly depressed. Yet my therapist says its apart of my autism because i’m lonely and have no friends but my dog. My mood swings change too. During the day im more so angry and at night im sobbing? But my therapist says i’m not violent enough to be bipolar. I think thats a bad stereotype :?

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2018, 6:44 am

Well, that's one reality you got to accept... bipolar disorder take forever to be diagnosed.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2018, 8:44 am

ShiningStar25 wrote:
I was diagnosed with aspergers last year and was completely shocked! However it doesn’t explain my mood swings?

Hi.

Autism is known to be associated with other mental health issues, which in technical terms are called comorbidities. Therefore if you have Asperger's, you have more chance of having depression, bipolar disorder, Tourette's and maybe others. That means, those things aren't mutually exclusive. You can be autistic and also, bipolar.

ShiningStar25 wrote:
I’ve been shown a complete chart and told my anger is more in the autism range

That's interesting. I was never told there is such a chart. Now I'm curious.

ShiningStar25 wrote:
I do have an addiction with spending my money on my high days but my low days I feel so terribly depressed.

That sounds a lot like bipolar to me but I'm not a psychiatrist. I think you should trust your professional.

ShiningStar25 wrote:
But my therapist says i’m not violent enough to be bipolar. I think thats a bad stereotype :?

I never knew bipolars could be all that violent. None of them I knew in real life were actually capable of, say, a ruthless crime. Maybe they could break their entire room when in the highest of highs, they could spend a lot of money within the hour... but I don't think they could physically harm anyone. I mean, that's what I thought. Also, anyone can become violent at any time.

Anyway, I see frustrated people coming here often looking for advice (or rather validation) from others. People here aren't professionals. You shouldn't trust these forums more than you should trust your therapist. If you don't trust your current therapist, find a second opinion.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Aug 2018, 7:59 am

If you tend to be depressed when your not having mood swings it may be something like psychotic depression. I was having mood swings like that after my 1st relationship ended. My GP said I was bipolar & he referred me to a psych who changed it to psychotic depression on top of my ASD & other issues

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition