Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShiningStar25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2018, 7:47 am

Alrighty folks! What’s your favorite video game? Mine is Pokémon but I love Spyro too! I think Pokémon is my favorite because I can organize them and stuff and I love that about it. :D

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 9:38 pm

Good question. I don't have any one favourite game, but I think my favourites probably have their roots deeply set in their original iterations on previous console generations, like Crash Bandicoot, Half Life, Team Fortress, Gran Turismo, God of War, etc.

But I think my favourite game of the past few years was The Last of Us. Amazing game, fantastic storytelling, very emotional. Well worth a look.

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2018, 8:25 am

There are so many good ones, it's hard to nail it down to a single game.
But seeing as i've sunk nearly 500 hours into stellaris and something similar into skyrim... xD

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 8:39 am

I have too many favorite games, but to name a few:

Crash Bandicoot 2
DOOM
Ori and the Blind Forest
Super Meat Boy
Unreal

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:30 am

One of my all time favorites is the original Pac-Man but love Call of Duty also

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 5:15 am

Somewhere between The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Thief 2.

Breath of the Wild is way up there now, too.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2018, 12:58 am

Super Mario Maker!

I've been playing it obsessively for almost a full year now.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:13 am

Favorite? Oh dear. That's... that's a tough one.

A few:

Minecraft
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Hyperrogue
Unexplored
Super Mario Maker
Juno First
Space Invaders (entire franchise)

And lots, and LOTS of shmups, roguelikes, and retro games (both console and arcade). Minecraft and Isaac though are definitely the ones that take the top slots for me, but for everything else, it'd be hard to really put them in any order.

kdm1984 wrote:
Super Mario Maker!

I've been playing it obsessively for almost a full year now.

I gotta agree: It's freaking amazing. Utterly amazing. As far as I'm concerned, it's the greatest thing Nintendo has ever put out, and THE thing I've wanted since I was a kid. The fact that it brought the very first Super Mario Bros back into relevance just made it even better. AND they didnt screw with the original graphics, even. I was so pleased at that fact, when I originally heard it.

I really, really wish they'd make a Switch version. The Wii U itself is kinda dying off, after all...

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2018, 3:05 am

Misery wrote:
I gotta agree: It's freaking amazing. Utterly amazing. As far as I'm concerned, it's the greatest thing Nintendo has ever put out, and THE thing I've wanted since I was a kid. The fact that it brought the very first Super Mario Bros back into relevance just made it even better. AND they didnt screw with the original graphics, even. I was so pleased at that fact, when I originally heard it.

I really, really wish they'd make a Switch version. The Wii U itself is kinda dying off, after all...

I know what you mean. I grew up on SMB1 and SMB3, and to be able to create one's own levels for these games now? What a dream come true!

It's three years past release date, and almost a year since the death of Miiverse, but there's still a loyal base putting out levels (me included, though I've slowed down the last couple of months). I think there might be enough of a community to last through part of next year.

Do you still play? Do you have any levels? This is my profile:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... ype=posted

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:20 am

kdm1984 wrote:
Misery wrote:

I know what you mean. I grew up on SMB1 and SMB3, and to be able to create one's own levels for these games now? What a dream come true!

It's three years past release date, and almost a year since the death of Miiverse, but there's still a loyal base putting out levels (me included, though I've slowed down the last couple of months). I think there might be enough of a community to last through part of next year.

Do you still play? Do you have any levels? This is my profile:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... ype=posted

I do have a profile, yeah.

Here: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... ype=posted

I dont have nearly as many levels as you... my method of design is EXTREMELY methodical. I've always had a very serious interest in game design (I've even done contracted development work for an indie dev I know, and in fact released a completed game and two expansions with them), and so when I make a level, I tend to do it VERY VERY SLOWLY. Every aspect must be bloody perfect before I even consider releasing the thing.

And I test them alot. Like, ALOT. The way I do things, I'll be working on it, test the entire level all the way through, decide to do something like, say, move 2 enemies to different positions, and then test the entire thing over again. I figure, if I actually get tired of the level in question as I'm testing it a million times... then it's actually not that good. If I'm enjoying it the whole way through? That's a requirement before I release one.

And if you look at each of the levels, you can probably see how freaking complicated they are. And almost all of them have 2 sides (you know, the second "side" being where you go via pipes), and BOTH sides are usually that complicated. Many of these levels take alot longer to play through than the norm. I tend to make levels with a fairly traditional structure, which then gets rather tangled... hard to explain, makes more sense when played. Well, there's a couple of exceptions. "Stars and Spike platforms" is extremely short and entirely made of spikes, and "Fly Through the Flagship" is actually a bullet-hell sort of thing (I'm a big fan of bullet-hell games).

A given level, thusly, takes a very long time to make. But I was playing the game CONSTANTLY up until that blasted gizmo vanished.

I will also say, I've never had any bloody clue on how to get my levels actually NOTICED by people. I tended to just post them when finished, aaaaaaand.... just sorta hope people found them. Which probably is *not* the right way to do it, but I never quite figured out how anyone goes about getting noticed. I've never been good at doing that sort of thing. I did like getting comments from people about the levels, back when Miiverse was a thing. That was always really satisfying.

And yeah, it's been a long time since I last made one. I havent been able to find my stupid controller (the blasted gizmo) in quite awhile... seriously, I dont know where the blasted thing is. But just discussing this makes me REALLY want to dive back in. Honestly it's been on my mind all day. Even as freaking lazy as I am, it's about time I just go get another one. Just.... ugh. I cant get one of those at the Walmart, so that's gonna mean a bit of a drive, to stores that I *really* dont like (some places just make me nervous for no apparent reason, despite that they're just stores)... but dangit, it's about time I just do it. I think I'm going to try doing this in the next couple of days. Well, maybe. It depends on my schedule... my sleep schedule is very odd, and I kind of "cycle" from a day schedule, to a night one, and back. Right now I'm on the night side of it. So it might have to wait a few days, not sure. Unless maybe I can find a Walmart-ish place that has the things... maybe there's some places I havent checked.

I'd be happy to give your levels a try though as soon as I can get the horrid controller. If you should decide to play any of mine, feel free to tell me what you think (also feel free to use direct messaging if you like).

And you know, typing this just now, I think I realize suddenly what probably happened to that controller. Stupid thing vanished in January of last year... during a month long trip down in Florida. Ugh. It probably got left there. And I've been too darned lazy to just go get another one for over a freaking year. Ugh! Yeah, it's time to just go do it. It's going to bug me now until I do.

On a side note, have you ever heard of Mega Maker? It's like Mario Maker, except for the NES Megaman games. It's been pretty popular. I dunno if you like Megaman or not, but I thought I'd mention it. It very much takes after Mario Maker in it's design (so it's super easy to use and players get really creative with it). Ah, now I wanna play that some more too.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2018, 8:56 am

I hadn't heard of Mega Maker. I wasn't as good at the Mega Man games, so that's probably why I never heard. Might ask my husband about it later, though, as I think he liked and was better at those games than I was.

I have your profile bookmarked to look at later after church. Your levels look detailed and mostly of Normal or Expert 5-10% difficulty, which is perfect for me as I can't do kaizo. Most of my levels are also in that difficulty range, except for one Super Expert (below 2%) and a few in the 2-5% range. I did that because there are a lot of Super Expert players on GameFAQs and Reddit, and they prefer the really hard stuff. It took me a long time to upload most of those.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2018, 4:50 pm

That question has to be addressed in terms of genera and probably era. You cant compare Halo to Super Mario Brothers to Pac Man, its apples to oranges if ever there was one.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2018, 5:04 pm

ShiningStar25 wrote:
Alrighty folks! What’s your favorite video game? Mine is Pokémon but I love Spyro too! I think Pokémon is my favorite because I can organize them and stuff and I love that about it. :D

Classic Arcade: Mrs Pac-Man
Platforming Scroller: Super Mario Brothers
Action/Adventure: Zelda 3
RPG: Final Fantasy (Part 1)
Shooter: Halo 3

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 12:18 am

mrspock wrote:
That question has to be addressed in terms of genera and probably era. You cant compare Halo to Super Mario Brothers to Pac Man, its apples to oranges if ever there was one.

I dunno... the whole thing is incredibly subjective. It's not really about which games have more technical capabilities, or how their mechanics compare, just about which ones someone LIKES better.

If that's the sort of comparison the OP meant (they can feel free to clarify or correct if it is not) then the comparison works. I personally would indeed put the original Super Mario Brothers ahead of pretty much all AAA games of this era (or the last era, or the era before that...) regardless of genre.

But that's just me. Everyone will have their own favorites and reasons for those favorites. It's interesting to see, really.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2018, 12:11 pm

OK then three way tie between Zelda 3, Final Fantasy Part One (the original NES version even with its bugs), and Halo 3.

I did not like the changes made to FF part 1 in dawn of souls, even though they fixed the bugged spells. The way magic worked in the original was the way it worked in Dungeons and Dragons, and there was an important reason why D and D has never used a magic points system for magic--it turns a spell caster into a magical machine gun, which is what you have in Dawn of Souls, espically with the Ether potions that allow you to recharge your points anywhere. Also the Phoenix Down potion, which has the same effect of the LIFE spell, totally unbalances everything--now you can easily and quickly bring back slain players, even mid battle. It also makes the LIFE spell a waste of money and a spell slot.

For players, the NES version of FF1 has the following bugs, be aware of them:

TMPR and SBRE spells are bugged and do nothing.
LOCK spell always misses its target.
LCK2 is bugged and actually makes its targets HARDER to hit.
XFER is bugged and only works when enemies use it on the party.

The RUB spell is not bugged, but nobody should buy it. It targets only a single target, and by the time you have a black mage of high enough level to cast it all the enemies you typically face have enough resistance that it will almost never kill them.

Also, IMO ALL FF1 parties NEED a fighter, white mage, and black mage. The last slot should be either a thief, black belt, or red mage.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 4:41 pm

mrspock wrote:
I did not like the changes made to FF part 1 in dawn of souls, even though they fixed the bugged spells.

The original PSX version let you choose between Normal and Easy mode, but the GBA version only lets you play Easy.

There's a hack out there that puts it back to Normal mode (which is closer to the original NES game), but it changes a hundred other things as well...I'm not interested in all those other changes =/