Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

heathertruett
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2018, 12:20 pm

Hello. I am new here and newly diagnosed as well. Although, there was suspicion on my part for a long time. My oldest son is on the spectrum so I have some experience to fall back on. Mostly, I am in that stage of going through every memory I have and using this autism lens to view situations again. So many things make sense now.

I am struggling to identify the emotions I have concerning this official diagnosis. I feel something. Acutely. When I focus on what I am feeling, I get sort of dizzy, but not hugely dizzy. My hands start to feel a bit cold/numb. It's almost like my anxiety or overload reaction, but nowhere near as intense.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to a community where I can figure out myself and do so without feeling like I am weird or stand out in the wrong ways.

I am a writer and a college student. I am married to a pastor, but I have never been a stereotypical pastor's wife (as you can probably imagine). My sons are 16 and 14. The 16 year old has Asperger's, ADHD, and Tourette's.

Thank you for this community.

“Don't use the phone. People are never ready to answer it. Use poetry.” - Jack Kerouac

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2018, 4:56 pm

Welcome Heather,

I actually had the same exact experience when I got my diagnosis super late of intensely analyzing past situations and rethinking them. It's understandable to be nervous but remember that just because you received a diagnosis doesn't mean you are a different person, you are still the same person you have always been. Hopefully, you will eventually be able to figure out yourself and what you feel, that is one of the greatest challenges in my opinion.

heathertruett
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2018, 5:03 pm

isloth wrote:
It's understandable to be nervous but remember that just because you received a diagnosis doesn't mean you are a different person, you are still the same person you have always been.

Yes, I am. I just have a new way to understand myself. I believe it will be helpful.

Thank you for the welcome.

“Don't use the phone. People are never ready to answer it. Use poetry.” - Jack Kerouac

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 10:56 am

Welcome heathertruett!

When thinking back, it might be a good idea to write it down. This helps processing things. Clears the head and visualizes it.

Quote:
I am struggling to identify the emotions I have concerning this official diagnosis. I feel something. Acutely. When I focus on what I am feeling, I get sort of dizzy, but not hugely dizzy. My hands start to feel a bit cold/numb. It's almost like my anxiety or overload reaction, but nowhere near as intense.

This sounds a bit like chronic hyperventilation. Are you familiar with that?

No need to feel weird here, with people like me around, who are as cuckoo as the namesake clock :mrgreen:

heathertruett
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2018, 9:09 pm

I am journaling a lot of it. Writing is often how I process. You are right. It is very helpful.

I have heard of chronic hyperventilation. I will have to research it further.

LoneLoyalWolf wrote:
Welcome heathertruett!

When thinking back, it might be a good idea to write it down. This helps processing things. Clears the head and visualizes it.

Quote:

This sounds a bit like chronic hyperventilation. Are you familiar with that?

No need to feel weird here, with people like me around, who are as cuckoo as the namesake clock :mrgreen:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 11:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

heathertruett
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2018, 1:43 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Thank you!