Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:38 am

And its called global warming...as they say the first step to recovery is admitting the problem. And in this world we have a fossil fuel/petroleum problem. The question is how can it be solved....taking more oil out of the earth is not a sustainable solution.

I guess this country has a real problem with addressing the actual elephant in the room, they would rather get everyone worked up about immigration....

We need an international oil addicts anonymous organization...OAA(oil addicts anonymous).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:46 am

The more people who ignore it, the bigger the elephant gets.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:51 am

The biggest hurdle is who benefits from oil. The Oil companies are not even close to the biggest benefactors countries are, the US depends on oil to prop up the petrodollar and its $20 trillion of debt they have started wars for oil. Russia and the Gulf states are also propped up by oil these are very brutal states. These countries will not allow oil to be replaced by something cleaner.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:58 am

We’ll stop using oil for energy when it takes more than a barrel of oil to extract a barrel of oil; simple as that. Whatever amount of global warming and its nasty effects this translates into will happen. There’s nothing you can do about it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 3:26 am

Daniel89 wrote:
The biggest hurdle is who benefits from oil. The Oil companies are not even close to the biggest benefactors countries are, the US depends on oil to prop up the petrodollar and its $20 trillion of debt they have started wars for oil. Russia and the Gulf states are also propped up by oil these are very brutal states. These countries will not allow oil to be replaced by something cleaner.

Well those as*holes are going to kill us all. I mean its not even a right vs left issue or a country vs country issue. It is simply if we, as a world of nations do not seriously address our impact on climate change humans might go extinct. I mean we are creating conditions we cannot live in at a much quicker pace than evolution can happen. The science is all there, I just cannot understand people who disregard it or don't acknowledge it. Like it is so much in our face right now with glaciers melting, higher global tempatures, more wildfires, worse and more frequent natural disasters ect. All the things scientists have said global warming can cause are happening, right now...watch a recent wildlife docuementary..all of those mention how climate change is affecting wildlife. But maybe they need a more in your face version that talks about how it can dangerously affect people, instead of 'maybe this habitat will disappear' they shoudl be saying if you don't address this your habitat is screwed and you might die.

I mean when do we address that as humans we are creating a mass suicide situation? Like if these things are not adressed humanity may not live much longer. You wont have right vs left, because we'll all be dead.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 3:41 am

Global warming will make life on Earth much harsher but it won't wipe people out.

People don't care about future generations they only really care about themselves and to a smaller extent their family and friends.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 3:49 am

Daniel89 wrote:
Global warming will make life on Earth much harsher but it won't wipe people out.

People don't care about future generations they only really care about themselves and to a smaller extent their family and friends.

No it likely will not wipe everyone out that is for sure....but angry mother nature has certainly taken some lives so far and the number is likely not to reduce. More and more people are going to die due to the consequences of global warming. I mean too late to stop that for sure more people are going to die.

And that is BS they should care about the future. I mean I don't even have or want kids but I still want to work towards a world that future generations could thrive in. And we are not creating that world we are more on our way to creating a wasteland. Might already be too late, which is why its very important this gets addressed NOW. Any of you like to hunt? well guess what global warming negatively impacts hunting as well.

Seems people actively try to ignore this huge elephant...its very visible but some people still don't notice it. And it might kill us all, just sad people won't realize it until it really is too late.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 4:07 am

When you use terms like "angry mother nature" it makes global warming sound less credible. Nature isn't angry natural disasters are not punishment or revenge.

People should care but they don't whether that is about global warming, increasing debt, increasing dependency upon the government.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 9:25 am

Why sad? Soon the Earth will become hell like Venus, the planet that you love. :p

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 9:26 am

Bret back in 2012 talking about the human element in this and how Darwinian evolution causes us to trip over our own feet or our own sacred cows when we run into truly global problems like this and he speaks directly to climate change:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

StickyVicky
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Aug 2018, 10:04 am

Anthropogenic global warming alarmism is completely unfounded. Not only have climate models failed to make any accurate predictions, current temperatures are nowhere near being outside the normal range of natural variation we have seen in paleoclimate records. The entire AGW alarmism enterprise is as farcical as the "flat earth" meme, but people still gobble it up hook, line, and sinker.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 11:11 am

Daniel89 wrote:
These countries will not allow oil to be replaced by something cleaner.

I'm not sure if this is the correct story or not (it looks like it is?), but there's a conspiracy theory that a man who was pioneering hydrogen powered automobiles was assassinated by "big oil":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_M ... _fuel_cell

:shrug:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 11:15 am

Daniel89 wrote:

well, it won't wipe out people in first world countries.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:49 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
These countries will not allow oil to be replaced by something cleaner.

I'm not sure if this is the correct story or not (it looks like it is?), but there's a conspiracy theory that a man who was pioneering hydrogen powered automobiles was assassinated by "big oil":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_M ... _fuel_cell

:shrug:

I think it's a conspiracy theory.
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

well, it won't wipe out people in first world countries.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:58 pm

Could technology be invented that could completely reverse climate change?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2018, 3:12 pm

May already be too late(Not to say that I've given up but there are legit reasons for despondency at this point)

The effort to tarnish the earth for profit's institutionalized.